Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-07-2016, 05:15 PM   #1
14RS Mike

Drives: 2014 Camaro RS
V6 Perfomance Mod Questions

Hey guys,

I just got my '14 RS Camaro last week. I already did some cosmetic mods to it and now I want to start doing some Perfomance mods. I already have a CAI coming from Spectre and I'm going to make my own air scoop to help direct ambient air to the CAI.

My two main questions are this.

For my exhaust I want a deep sounding v6. I'm not looking into getting a v8 sound as I know that won't happen. I'm looking into just making it as deep sounding and free flowing as possible. I plan to get a Sunmit x pipe, cut a section out after the X, weld in two glass pack mufflers on each side, run the factory exhaust pipe to the mufflers and drop the stock mufflers for some Hooker Aero Chambers. What am I sacrificing by staying with 2.25" after the X pipe? Being we're dual exhaust already and at most I'll probably spray it with nitrous later, is this really going to be a restriction later?

My second question is, is a VTC throttle controller worth it? I plan on tuning the engine and I heard this thing really improves throttle response but would it be pointless for me being I plan on tuning the engine? The throttle response can be improved VIA tuning correct? I already have HP Tuners and plan on doing some data logging soon. Would the VTC be a worth while investment or would a tune make it obsolete to me then?

Thanks,
Mike

14RS Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:20 PM   #2
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 1LT RS Camaro
Sanjay,help a brother out!
Kenny Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:36 PM   #3
Blackchevyroarin

Drives: 2012 camaro 1ls 3.6 LFX
don't mean this to be offending or rude in any way..but there are lots of threads that already exist meant to answer all of the questions above. You will even find useful info that you didn't ask about. The search button can be a wonderful tool

EDIT: Just noticed you were from PA as well. If you don't mind me asking, which part??
Blackchevyroarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:54 PM   #4
14RS Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackchevyroarin View Post
don't mean this to be offending or rude in any way..but there are lots of threads that already exist meant to answer all of the questions above. You will even find useful info that you didn't ask about. The search button can be a wonderful tool

EDIT: Just noticed you were from PA as well. If you don't mind me asking, which part??
It's understood lol. I been searching for a bit now and I'm not finding anything exactly on what I'm looking at so I thought I would make a thread to try to get some hands on experience from people and if they agree with me (on the exhaust) and how the VTC is and if I'll make it obsolete with a good tune. I have a M6 so I'm kinda wondering if the VTC helps in that regards. Plus I've just mainly see people saying the VTC is awesome, no real results like a track time or 0-60 time before and after or with different settings. Just wondering if it'll make an extra improvement overall or if my money is better used/saved for other things I can do for the performance of my car.

And I'm from the Berwick area. Mainly in the Bloomsburg area and Wilkes-barre/Ashley area more anymore though lol
Old 06-07-2016, 06:12 PM   #5
Shawno72

Drives: 2015 Black 2LT RS M6
Get the VTC. You can thank me later lol. It's worth it
Overkill tune/E85/80mm•CAI cold air intake w/my custom maf tube•Apex air scoop•JacFab ported intake/Extendolater•Vitesse•EE EX2 catch can•Innovate wideband•ARH HFC's•NPP exhaust•11386 xpipe•Brembos/cross drilled/slotted rotors•SS M/C•Pfadt 1.25 springs•1LE struts/sways/strut tower brace•BMR diff bush, trail arms/bush, adj toe links•My custom Tunnel brace•Hurst short throw shifter•JDP stage 1 clutch res•1LE steering wheel, shift boot•ZL1 rear diffuser/splash guards•GM splitter•Z/28 grille/flowtie/spoiler/wheels•GM performance pedals•"Chevrolet" door sills•10" Kicker sub•BigWorm overlays
Shawno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:27 PM   #6
bingster223

Drives: 2015 1LT/RS hot red/black
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14RS Mike View Post
It's understood lol. I been searching for a bit now and I'm not finding anything exactly on what I'm looking at so I thought I would make a thread to try to get some hands on experience from people and if they agree with me (on the exhaust) and how the VTC is and if I'll make it obsolete with a good tune. I have a M6 so I'm kinda wondering if the VTC helps in that regards. Plus I've just mainly see people saying the VTC is awesome, no real results like a track time or 0-60 time before and after or with different settings. Just wondering if it'll make an extra improvement overall or if my money is better used/saved for other things I can do for the performance of my car.

And I'm from the Berwick area. Mainly in the Bloomsburg area and Wilkes-barre/Ashley area more anymore though lol
A Berwick Bulldog
bingster223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:31 PM   #7
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Don't get the VTC, you can tune the throttle, esp being an M6 car.

Also welcome, I grew up in NEPA, now I'm down near Philly

Last edited by ChibiBlackSheep; 06-07-2016 at 07:37 PM.
ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:35 PM   #8
Shawno72

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
Don't get the VTC, you can tune the throttle, esp being an M6 car.

Always welcome, I grew up in NEPA, now I'm down near Philly
Which requires a tune. Op are you planning on buying a tune first?
Overkill tune/E85/80mm•CAI cold air intake w/my custom maf tube•Apex air scoop•JacFab ported intake/Extendolater•Vitesse•EE EX2 catch can•Innovate wideband•ARH HFC's•NPP exhaust•11386 xpipe•Brembos/cross drilled/slotted rotors•SS M/C•Pfadt 1.25 springs•1LE struts/sways/strut tower brace•BMR diff bush, trail arms/bush, adj toe links•My custom Tunnel brace•Hurst short throw shifter•JDP stage 1 clutch res•1LE steering wheel, shift boot•ZL1 rear diffuser/splash guards•GM splitter•Z/28 grille/flowtie/spoiler/wheels•GM performance pedals•"Chevrolet" door sills•10" Kicker sub•BigWorm overlays
Old 06-07-2016, 06:39 PM   #9
Blackchevyroarin

Drives: 2012 camaro 1ls 3.6 LFX
Up in Pittsburgh myself. I would get the controller for sure. I still use it on SP4 with my overkill tune. Still makes a difference. They are also coming out with a launch control module that gets plugged into the VTC, so that would be another plus to buying it.
Blackchevyroarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:44 PM   #10
ghosted
BCS Auto

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LS
Quote:
Up in Pittsburgh myself. I would get the controller for sure. I still use it on SP4 with my overkill tune. Still makes a difference. They are also coming out with a launch control module that gets plugged into the VTC, so that would be another plus to buying it.
The launch controller has been pending for as long as I've known about VTC, but I'd still recommend a throttle controller nonetheless. RevHigh is coming out with a Stealth 3.0 controller that'll have auto mode, anti-theft and a few more goodies. With that being said, I sold my VTC since I got my Overkill tune and felt like I didn't need it anymore. So OP, if you plan on tuning the ECM in the near future, you can go either way, these throttle controllers resell pretty easily if you need to offload one.

Also, for more V6 stuff, check out the link in my signature to our V6 Performance Group on Facebook, tons of helpful people (850~) and info there as well as here!

BCS Auto on Facebook - - - Follow me on Instagram @datv6tho & @officialbcsauto
ghosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:23 PM   #11
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawno72 View Post
Which requires a tune. Op are you planning on buying a tune first?
He already has HPTuners, don't see why he should bother with the VTC costs at that point.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:26 PM   #12
Shawno72

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
He already has HPTuners, don't see why he should bother with the VTC costs at that point.
Have you ever used the vtc?
Old 06-07-2016, 07:45 PM   #13
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 1LT RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjay Collins View Post
Lol. I just saw this thread and I think I''ll stay out of it. I can't do the VTC ignorance arguments anymore.
He must be tired....
Kenny Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:40 PM   #14
14RS Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingster223 View Post
A Berwick Bulldog
Yes indeed. Originally not from Berwick but moved here in 06.

Quote:
In your Overkill tune, are there any adjustments made to help the throttle response? And if so what is the car like with the VTC set at SP0 compared to what you normally use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosted View Post
The launch controller has been pending for as long as I've known about VTC, but I'd still recommend a throttle controller nonetheless. RevHigh is coming out with a Stealth 3.0 controller that'll have auto mode, anti-theft and a few more goodies. With that being said, I sold my VTC since I got my Overkill tune and felt like I didn't need it anymore. So OP, if you plan on tuning the ECM in the near future, you can go either way, these throttle controllers resell pretty easily if you need to offload one.

Also, for more V6 stuff, check out the link in my signature to our V6 Performance Group on Facebook, tons of helpful people (850~) and info there as well as here!
Noted, I'll have to research the Stealth controller then and see how it compares to the VTC. And what made you feel you didn't need it after the tune? Did the settings become more alike between the SP settings, or was the car's throttle response where you wanted it?

Alright, thanks! I'll check it out then. Not much of a Facebooker though by any means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjay Collins View Post
Lol. I just saw this thread and I think I''ll stay out of it. I can't do the VTC ignorance arguments anymore.
Sorry, I'm not looking for any arguments. Just trying to collect more information and people's experiences on the VTC and if the VTC is worth while after a tune. I'd be really curious to hear what you have to say on the topic and your experiences regarding it.