Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 07-27-2016, 08:50 PM   #1
SimonBelgium

Drives: Lamborghini Diablo & SuperLeggera
Can you daily a Z/28?

Hi all,

Have been lurking for some time now, and I keep coming back because I can't get the Z/28 out of my head.

I've been thinking about getting a new daily, and as I'm alone in the car 99% of the time, it doesn't really matter how big or practical it is.

I know I could buy a Z/28 for the weekend, and then get a 10K beater for the daily commute, but then again, why not just commute in the Z/28 and have some fun. Waze detours actually get more fun that way

OK, so some questions:

1. The consensus appears to be that Michelin Pilot Sport is the way to go if you're anywhere near rain. As I'm in WA state, there's rain. Any better options out yet? (I think the thread discussing this was from 2015)

2. What about that front splitter? Is it a pain with speed bumps and driveways? I see people driving "normal" Camaros all the time, but how much of a difference is it?

3. I read in some thread that the AC will shut down on hot days when you sit in traffic. Do they all have that problem, and are there any improvements for it?

4. Another thread discussed an issue where oil could get into the air intake under heave deceleration when using engine breaking. Any solutions for that? I engine brake all the time, and on a downhill, a rumbling V8 doing engine braking sounds amazing. Oil catch can?

5. It seems there isn't even a USB input for the stereo, even with the AC+Radio package, is that correct? Is that easy to add, or should I just put in an aftermarket system? (Not interested in high end install, but do want to hook up my ipod)

There is a red one for sale in Renton, WA at "Good Chevrolet". It has about 18300 miles on it, and it looks horrible. Paint stripped to white fiberglass, front splitter has impact discolorations, engine cover warped and lettering stripped, etc. Haven't driven it yet (there was a road closure so stationary traffic for miles, plus the sales guy had 0 interest in selling). Does anyone know the car? The inspection document was from April 2016, so it's been sitting for 3 months. Way overpriced, and the sales guy said they don't haggle the price. Was thinking of driving that one and then see if I like it. Either negotiate the price down, or buy one elsewhere (there are a few new ones left, it seems) and drive it home (because why the hell not).

Anyway, really looking to get some insight as to what the car is actually like to own and drive.

Thanks
Simon
SimonBelgium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:07 PM   #2
JUSTIFIED

Drives: 2015 black Z/28
1. The consensus appears to be that Michelin Pilot Sport is the way to go if you're anywhere near rain. As I'm in WA state, there's rain. Any better options out yet? (I think the thread discussing this was from 2015)

I drive mine to work (~ 25 miles each way) about 75% of the time and all the time on weekends. I have Bridgestone RE-11As, but a lot of folks are running Michelin. The RE-11A are great in the dry and wet, but they are heavy at 35 lbs each.

2. What about that front splitter? Is it a pain with speed bumps and driveways? I see people driving "normal" Camaros all the time, but how much of a difference is it?

Never an issue for me with exception of some occasional scraping and I've driven over plenty of speed bumps. Just go slow and easy.

3. I read in some thread that the AC will shut down on hot days when you sit in traffic. Do they all have that problem, and are there any improvements for it?

I drive in 100+ degree and have sat in traffic and have not yet had this happen. It will shut down when pulling high RPMs when ambient temps are high.

4. Another thread discussed an issue where oil could get into the air intake under heave deceleration when using engine breaking. Any solutions for that? I engine brake all the time, and on a downhill, a rumbling V8 doing engine braking sounds amazing. Oil catch can?

I have burned some oil. Not sure why. Per GM 1 qt/2000 miles is acceptable. Not sure any oil has gotten into my intake. Another member (D2M) pulled his intake and took a picture and it was totally devoid of oil.

5. It seems there isn't even a USB input for the stereo, even with the AC+Radio package, is that correct? Is that easy to add, or should I just put in an aftermarket system? (Not interested in high end install, but do want to hook up my ipod)

Correct. Only an aux cable connection in the center console.

There is a red one for sale in Renton, WA at "Good Chevrolet". It has about 18300 miles on it, and it looks horrible. Paint stripped to white fiberglass, front splitter has impact discolorations, engine cover warped and lettering stripped, etc. Haven't driven it yet (there was a road closure so stationary traffic for miles, plus the sales guy had 0 interest in selling). Does anyone know the car? The inspection document was from April 2016, so it's been sitting for 3 months. Way overpriced, and the sales guy said they don't haggle the price. Was thinking of driving that one and then see if I like it. Either negotiate the price down, or buy one elsewhere (there are a few new ones left, it seems) and drive it home (because why the hell not).

Go take it for a test drive. I believe you can find some very good deals on new cars. You should investigate options. It's a helluva car. You would not regret it!
Old 07-27-2016, 09:15 PM   #3
Zslash28
Jumanji

Drives: '14 Z/28 - AGM - No A/C
1. Yes those seem to be the concensus. I would also take a look at Tire Rack and compare tires. Having lived in WA, I know all about the rain and traffic.
2. Yes, pain in the ass. You will quickly find alternate routes and alternate places to stop due to speed bumps and steep drive ways.
3. Yes, some members have experienced this, but they live in hot climates. Soubt you would experience this in WA. But, its normal ops for the car as it attempts to conserve power. Roll down the windows, that is if its not raining 5 days out of the year.
4. Engine braking is AMAZING in the Z/28. I cant answer this one.
5. No USB or bluetooth in the Z/28. I guess the controller is built into the stereo on the 14/15 cars unlike the earlier cars having a module under the console. I am still doing research on this.
I do believe this car can be a daily driver, many owners here do just that. I havedriven mine from TX to NJ, and when my wife has a light work schedule, have daily driven mine for about 2 weeks and loved every moment of it. I also find use trips to Lowes or Salmart as an excuse to drive my Z/28.
I track wrecked Z/28s Total lost -41
Zslash28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:40 PM   #4
Schlok

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #397 2022 ZL1 #1799
I'd pass on that specific car, lots of miles and sounds like it has been beaten down. That car has likely had a couple of sets of tires too. You can daily the car, I do everyday but since December I'm only at 1380 miles.. I'm in the Continental camp, they seem to be pretty nice tires and hook up pretty well with my extra power. You should be able to get a good deal on a new one but you might have to spend some money to get it. I was fearful of the splitter too, you'll just park ten feet from curbs and parking stops but then you'll get to about five feet away
Schlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:03 PM   #5
SimonBelgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlok View Post
I'm in the Continental camp, they seem to be pretty nice tires and hook up pretty well with my extra power.
Thanks. I don't have a preference as such, as long as it doesn't crash after 3 drops of rain. More so, I prefer a tire which is progressive in losing grip, rather than snappy at the edge. If I push it on a twisty road, I'm not interested in having the option of going 2MPH faster with a grippier tire, which would kill me because I went 3MPH faster. If that makes sense?

Quote:
You should be able to get a good deal on a new one but you might have to spend some money to get it.
As in fly out to go get it? Road trip time ! Even if it would be Miami - Seattle

Quote:
I was fearful of the splitter too, you'll just park ten feet from curbs and parking stops but then you'll get to about five feet away
I'm pretty good at parking (I lived in Europe all my life, where anything bigger than a VW Golf is considered a big car), but the stupid driveways and speed bumps here in the US are nuts. May just get an aftermarket radio with cameras if I feel the splitter is getting too close too often
Old 07-27-2016, 10:07 PM   #6
SimonBelgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zslash28 View Post
1. Yes those seem to be the concensus. I would also take a look at Tire Rack and compare tires. Having lived in WA, I know all about the rain and traffic.
2. Yes, pain in the ass. You will quickly find alternate routes and alternate places to stop due to speed bumps and steep drive ways.
3. Yes, some members have experienced this, but they live in hot climates. Soubt you would experience this in WA. But, its normal ops for the car as it attempts to conserve power. Roll down the windows, that is if its not raining 5 days out of the year.
4. Engine braking is AMAZING in the Z/28. I cant answer this one.
5. No USB or bluetooth in the Z/28. I guess the controller is built into the stereo on the 14/15 cars unlike the earlier cars having a module under the console. I am still doing research on this.
I do believe this car can be a daily driver, many owners here do just that. I havedriven mine from TX to NJ, and when my wife has a light work schedule, have daily driven mine for about 2 weeks and loved every moment of it. I also find use trips to Lowes or Salmart as an excuse to drive my Z/28.
Thanks for the feedback. I have taken my Diablo out for grocery shopping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTIFIED View Post

I drive mine to work (~ 25 miles each way) about 75% of the time and all the time on weekends. I have Bridgestone RE-11As, but a lot of folks are running Michelin. The RE-11A are great in the dry and wet, but they are heavy at 35 lbs each.

Never an issue for me with exception of some occasional scraping and I've driven over plenty of speed bumps. Just go slow and easy.

I drive in 100+ degree and have sat in traffic and have not yet had this happen. It will shut down when pulling high RPMs when ambient temps are high.

I have burned some oil. Not sure why. Per GM 1 qt/2000 miles is acceptable. Not sure any oil has gotten into my intake. Another member (D2M) pulled his intake and took a picture and it was totally devoid of oil.

Correct. Only an aux cable connection in the center console.

Go take it for a test drive. I believe you can find some very good deals on new cars. You should investigate options. It's a helluva car. You would not regret it!
Thanks ! Yeah I will have to call in and reserve it for a test drive. (Had a deflated tire). Sounded really good when started. But it would make sense to see how bad tramlining is with the Trofeo R's, and how harsh the ride is on WA's amazing roads (/Sarcasm off)
Old 07-27-2016, 10:29 PM   #7
JUSTIFIED

Drives: 2015 black Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonBelgium View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I have taken my Diablo out for grocery shopping.

Thanks ! Yeah I will have to call in and reserve it for a test drive. (Had a deflated tire). Sounded really good when started. But it would make sense to see how bad tramlining is with the Trofeo R's, and how harsh the ride is on WA's amazing roads (/Sarcasm off)
Troefeo performance was excellent due to grip and light weight, but looking back I wish I had replaced and sold them (I don't track mine...). They are significantly more harsh due to very stiff sidewalls and follow every crack in the road and only lasted ~ 6k miles.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:51 PM   #8
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
I'd pass on that specific car, lots of miles and sounds like it has been beaten down. That car has likely had a couple of sets of tires too. You can daily the car, I do everyday but since December I'm only at 1380 miles.. I'm in the Continental camp, they seem to be pretty nice tires and hook up pretty well with my extra power. You should be able to get a good deal on a new one but you might have to spend some money to get it. I was fearful of the splitter too, you'll just park ten feet from curbs and parking stops but then you'll get to about five feet away
I hate to follow others like a monkey see monkey do kind of thing. I agree with your choice. Contis are great in wet.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:47 PM   #9
SimonBelgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
I hate to follow others like a monkey see monkey do kind of thing. I agree with your choice. Contis are great in wet.
Is this the one?
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....8&autoModClar=

Like I mentioned earlier, I want a usable tire, not the most performant. Especially with rain, I don't want to lose control. If the Conti is better in the rain, and 98% as good as the MPSS, the Conti will be the one for me...
Old 07-28-2016, 05:47 AM   #10
Schlok

Quote:
Is this the one?
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....8&autoModClar=

Like I mentioned earlier, I want a usable tire, not the most performant. Especially with rain, I don't want to lose control. If the Conti is better in the rain, and 98% as good as the MPSS, the Conti will be the one for me...

http://m.tirerack.com/tires/TireDeta...8&autoModClar=

This is the tire. I also run 325 in the rear vice 305. They are only 27 lbs each too.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:23 AM   #11
I4toV8
Dazed &

Drives: matte blue 2014 z28(186) 2015 R1

- Im from Los Angeles we dont get much rain here but when we did the three or four times it rained a little crazy i was still on the trofeos, dont drive like an idiot and you would be fine... however i did prepare myself for "el nino" and purchased conit extreme contact DW.. put them on and it didnt rain for ****.. took them off and it started raining just my luck.. easy acceleration, easy braking, easy turning and i came out just fine.

-25k+ miles, you just have to be careful where you go.. driveways and parking stoppers are the big one... i park in reverse whenever i can and when i cant i will slowly move forward and get out see how far i have left to hit the stopper (annoying yes but worth it"

-Ive sat in some pretty hot traffic for over an hour traveling from downtown la to the valley around 30-40 miles that took me almost 2 hours and the ac never turned off.. however if i am doing spirited driving after a certain rpm the ac does cut off but im talking 5k rpms and above and constantly.

- this is something new that i will have to read on lol i do the same

- i use this works great and cheap lol
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 07-28-2016, 12:11 PM   #12
SimonBelgium

Quote:
http://m.tirerack.com/tires/TireDeta...8&autoModClar=

This is the tire. I also run 325 in the rear vice 305. They are only 27 lbs each too.
Thanks

I believe the front and rear wheels are a different size as well? Do the wider rears allow for the 325? No rubbing on the fenders?
Old 07-28-2016, 12:14 PM   #13
SimonBelgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by I4toV8 View Post
-25k+ miles, you just have to be careful where you go.. driveways and parking stoppers are the big one... i park in reverse whenever i can and when i cant i will slowly move forward and get out see how far i have left to hit the stopper (annoying yes but worth it"
I know the feeling. My Diablo is even lower, also a very long front splitter, and no nose lift.
Main problem I can't overcome are driveways that are just steep as hell, and could tear the bumper off a Subaru Outback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I4toV8 View Post
- i use this works great and cheap lol
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks, I may have to result to something like that, or have Gen5DIY send me a MyLink unit...
Old 07-28-2016, 03:53 PM   #14
Schlok

Quote:
Thanks

I believe the front and rear wheels are a different size as well? Do the wider rears allow for the 325? No rubbing on the fenders?
No problems running 325s on the rear.