Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-06-2009, 05:24 PM   #1
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
A Close Call (Almost lost another one a few minutes ago)

I just got home from being nearly creamed 5 minutes ago...

I was coming home from work and I came to the stoplight on the main drag here and made a left turn onto the road I live on. This light is the only one in my little town and the two roads have a 35MPH limit.

I turned left behind a minivan of some sort who drove up about 5 car lengths and then signalled to turn left into his driveway, but there were oncoming cars he was waiting on and they were slowing up because there were cars stopped at the light. The minivan waited there until the traffic went past and started to then left. At that instant I heard a horrible screeching and saw movement in my rearview mirror. I realized what was happening and I dumped the clutch and floored it.

In the mirror I see this car. I later looked closer (more on that later) and it's a big Buick... The buick looks like one of those big pontiac Bonneville's with a different grille and taillights (you know, the ones, right? Sort of jellybean shaped but FWD and nearly identical to all the other cars on the same platform... the hallmark of GM's rebadging heyday)

Anyhow, I can see this car in my mirror in a full on skid with no ABS kind of sliding and rotating coming at me. It's so close that I can't see the grille in my mirror. My SS labors a little (I was in 2nd and going maybe 10MPH when this happened) but it somehow managed to pull ahead of the skidding moron and not get touched!

I'm not sure how close it was, but it scared the daylights out of me! It could have been a couple feet or could have been mere inches. But I pulled away.

Then after the incident I comtinue on my way and a few seconds later this dirtbag is moving along again and I guess that I must have been at fault because now he's tailgating me real closely. I was already going about 45-50MPH, so he had to get really going to catch up like that. This is when I got a good look at the car (hard to avoid seeing it at this point).

So I go along like this until I get to my driveway and I turn in and the moron swings around me and lumbers off down the road.

Is there some inherent design flaw in these cars that makes them a magnet for idiot drivers???!?!?!?

Glad my baby is safe. Whew! What a relief!
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:27 PM   #2
shank0668

Drives: '14 LML/'06 LJ/'76 Trans Am
Well atleast you were quick enough to get away.
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:16 PM   #3
Styffydawg
SSinister

Drives: Ram SS/T + Murdered Out 2SS/RS

I hate seeing these threads they make me so anxious lol.

At least your car is ok and no one got hurt!

SSinister
Styffydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:43 PM   #4
Susantroy1
To All Veterans

Drives: 2010 2LT RS Inferno Orange
[QUOTE=Captain Awesome;1012561]Is there some inherent design flaw in these cars that makes them a magnet for idiot drivers???!?!?!?[QUOTE]

I'd say its the other way around
Susantroy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:10 PM   #5
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styffydawg View Post

I hate seeing these threads they make me so anxious lol.

At least your car is ok and no one got hurt!
I was hit the same way once about 4 years ago in a junky S-10 Blazer... it was not pretty. So, imagine how it was in my 1 month old Camaro!
Old 10-07-2009, 11:26 AM   #6
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
And this is one situation where the V8 is a better choice than the V6.

Glad you didn't end up on the list of wrecked Camaros...
Old 10-07-2009, 11:45 AM   #7
thesnoopster

Drives: '17 Fifty SS - '18 Traverse Redline
Sounds like DC Metro drivers lol.... Good thing that battle ax didnt touch ya.
thesnoopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:04 PM   #8
Dan3
Captain of the Failboat

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS
I have had the EXACTsame thing happen to me 2 weeks ago, except I was following a Mercedes sedan and was nearly rear-ended by some kid in an old f150. Ok not exact, but close.

Luckily I was in 1st so I got going pretty quick, but the jackass did the exact same thing as your Buick driver. I got up to 55 in a 45 and he was attempting to park in my trunk.

The big difference is how we handled it. I slowed down to a stop in the middle of the road and got out. He backed up about 150-200ft to an intersection and made a left so fast you would have thought I pulled a gun on him.

Guess I can't blame him, I'm 6'2" 230lbs and I was wearing BDUs. He just looked like that kid that got put inside gym lockers in High School... 16-18 yrs old, mid 5' range, skinny as my left leg, and wearing huge aviator sunglasses. If I had seen a cell phone I would have followed him, but I chalked it up to inexperience and let him go with a scare.

Glad you and the car are ok. The number 1 cause of accidents on the road is stupid people with a license.
Produced - 10 August 2009 : #34143
Delivered - 25 August 2009
Dan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:16 PM   #9
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
And this is one situation where the V8 is a better choice than the V6.

Glad you didn't end up on the list of wrecked Camaros...
........... pretty sure my v6 would have gotten out of there just fine.....
Old 10-07-2009, 12:17 PM   #10
Brokinarrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan3 View Post
The number 1 cause of accidents on the road is stupid people with a license.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:19 PM   #11
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan3 View Post
I have had the EXACTsame thing happen to me 2 weeks ago, except I was following a Mercedes sedan and was nearly rear-ended by some kid in an old f150. Ok not exact, but close.

Luckily I was in 1st so I got going pretty quick, but the jackass did the exact same thing as your Buick driver. I got up to 55 in a 45 and he was attempting to park in my trunk.

The big difference is how we handled it. I slowed down to a stop in the middle of the road and got out. He backed up about 150-200ft to an intersection and made a left so fast you would have thought I pulled a gun on him.

Guess I can't blame him, I'm 6'2" 230lbs and I was wearing BDUs. He just looked like that kid that got put inside gym lockers in High School... 16-18 yrs old, mid 5' range, skinny as my left leg, and wearing huge aviator sunglasses. If I had seen a cell phone I would have followed him, but I chalked it up to inexperience and let him go with a scare.

Glad you and the car are ok. The number 1 cause of accidents on the road is stupid people with a license.
LOL! I'm not quite as imposing as you are, but if the kid were the way you described I bet I would have intimidated him too. I was so riled up I was considering following the guy and giving him a piece of my mind, but I did that once before when I caught someone stealing the election signs from a neighbor's house and since I live in a small town they figured out where I lived easily (I have unique vehicles) and started making harassing phone calls to me at all hours. I let the idiot go.

By the way, do you think having a manual transmission has something to do with this? I imagine I was creeping along with no foot on the brakes and so the moron didn't see I was not moving fast...
Old 10-07-2009, 12:23 PM   #12
Dan3
Captain of the Failboat

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS
Manual transmission means no brake lights in this situation. This just means that the situation was not 100% idiot-proof.

Saying that not seeing brake lights cause him to almost rear-end you is about the same as saying its the manufacturer's fault when a moron drops their hairdryer in the bathtub and electrocutes themselves.

Is his job to be aware of whats happening on the road.
Produced - 10 August 2009 : #34143
Delivered - 25 August 2009
Dan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:24 PM   #13
Brokinarrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
LOL! I'm not quite as imposing as you are, but if the kid were the way you described I bet I would have intimidated him too. I was so riled up I was considering following the guy and giving him a piece of my mind, but I did that once before when I caught someone stealing the election signs from a neighbor's house and since I live in a small town they figured out where I lived easily (I have unique vehicles) and started making harassing phone calls to me at all hours. I let the idiot go.

By the way, do you think having a manual transmission has something to do with this? I imagine I was creeping along with no foot on the brakes and so the moron didn't see I was not moving fast...
I think thats the problem right there Some people just don't understand that they need to PAY ATTENTION to the ROAD when they drive! You shouldn't have your eyes off the road for more than 2 seconds at a time, especially driving through town.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:31 PM   #14
SaxPlyn2LTRS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesnoopster View Post
Sounds like DC Metro drivers lol.... Good thing that battle ax didnt touch ya.
+1
3000: Accepted by production control - 9/2/2009 TPW 09/21/2009
3300: Scheduled for production - 9/10/2009
3400: Broadcast - 9/18/2009
3800: Produced - 9/25/2009 A9150194
4000: Available to ship - 9/26/2009
4200: Shipped - 9/28/2009
5000: Delivered to the dealer - 10/12/2009
6000: Delivered to the customer - 10/12/2009
SaxPlyn2LTRS is offline   Reply With Quote