Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-18-2016, 08:47 AM   #1
WhiteLightening

Drives: 2016 Camaro V6 RS, 2005 Mustang GT
Net gain from aftermarket throttle body and CAI??

What do you guys think would be the gain with a higher performance throttle body and a aftermarket cold air intake?
Old 10-18-2016, 09:07 AM   #2
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLightening View Post
What do you guys think would be the gain with a higher performance throttle body and a aftermarket cold air intake?
It seems to me that for the money to pay for all the performance mods (throttle body, CAI, pipes, tune, etc.), you could just buy an SS.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:04 AM   #3
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Ported my own throttle body and got the drop-in for now until some CAI solutions are ready for production.

Either mod is going to be single digit or maybe low teens in either hp or torque so you're not going to really notice it day-to-day.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:05 AM   #4
WhiteLightening

Is the acceleration or pick up any better, or noticeable?
Old 10-18-2016, 10:16 AM   #5
cellsafemode

I wont know until I get a chance to do some good 0-60 pulls and compare against my last best.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:39 PM   #6
Billabongi

Drives: '17 SS 50th Camaro
Biggest thing for these 2 mod's is it smooths out the dead spots in the throttle and the sound. You're likely not to feel 10-15 hp but you'll feel the throttle smoothing and hear the sound.
2017 50th Anniversary 2LT\RS - #1583 SOLD
2017 50th Anniversary 2SS - #3410
Billabongi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 02:46 PM   #7
WhiteLightening

Any good brands you guys recommend?
Old 10-18-2016, 03:11 PM   #8
cellsafemode

I think v6 is still waiting on brands. For basically anything performance related other than tunes or drop in filter. Everything else is pretty much diy
Old 10-18-2016, 03:17 PM   #9
WhiteLightening

AFE has a intake , anyone tested it out yet?
Old 10-19-2016, 04:23 AM   #10
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
It seems to me that for the money to pay for all the performance mods (throttle body, CAI, pipes, tune, etc.), you could just buy an SS.

There's no way a throttle body, CAI, pipes, tune, ect would equal $10K or more it would take to step into a base SS. That is, unless you count a forced induction kit as a bolt on.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:33 AM   #11
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
throttle body, CAI, and tune will run you about a grand.

Sorry, but you aren't getting to an SS for a grand (unless your talking a mostly loaded V6 to a base 1SS...but that's not apples to apples lol)

For those not needing V8 power, but just a more responses and perhaps slightly stronger feeling V6, these modifications are great. Just be careful and aware of possible warranty issues....as in you could lose it.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:53 PM   #12
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
FALSE.

not really fully true, if ya check some of the prices out, chief.

1) ported TB cost me, 150.

2) most of the intakes slated to come out at most 400$, obviously there will be sales, 350-400 is realistic shipped.

3) and most places tune for 150-200$ (going on local hp tuner using shops)

if you wanna add in catbacks, and EVERYTHING you can throw at a car, then sure. it might be a couple of grand, but if its just basic boltons, then nah....that's false.

also as it "seems" to you, may not be anothers goals, or would that even be relevant to that individual. gotta remember, some only buy some mods for the sounds and will never visit a dyno or track. we're all different.

for myself, I personally don't wanna deal with V8 insurance in this area. DC-Baltimore area....awful.

I don't need 455hp, with the option to easily mod to over 1000hp (funds allowing). my lil 335 to the crank plus a 10-20 is good enough for me on the autox course and tracks.

I've had the car 5 months and am at 17,000+ miles. I travel. not a cars and coffee only car. I use my car. I'd be paying a hella lot more in gas. my 07 charger I did 244,000 miles in 6 years. it all adds up.

and since I race and mod my car, so if you do buy a v8, then you'll be buying the same stuff if not more. then what? you spend more money just the same. and someone can make the claim.... "well for all you spent on that SS, you coulda bought a used viper, or gt350, or llama with nitrous and methanol kit..." the saga of, "you could bought...." will never end. so people buy whats good for them...not for someone else.

people who mod their car, do it for many different reasons. doesn't matter what they buy, its gonna be modded to go faster...or be more e2r 1. if you wanna stay stock, no problem. that's why sidelines have benches and bleachers, and the field or track for those that wanna play

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLightening View Post
Is the acceleration or pick up any better, or noticeable?
YES, the dead spot is gone past 2500. also acceleration is stronger in the sense that you don't have to press down on the pedal as much/far to get the same results through different rpms and speeds.

I run the V-Maxx motorsports ported TB the same as they made and I had on my 5th gen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
throttle body, CAI, and tune will run you about a grand.

Sorry, but you aren't getting to an SS for a grand (unless your talking a mostly loaded V6 to a base 1SS...but that's not apples to apples lol)

For those not needing V8 power, but just a more responses and perhaps slightly stronger feeling V6, these modifications are great. Just be careful and aware of possible warranty issues....as in you could lose it.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 08:56 PM   #13
WhiteLightening

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
FALSE.

not really fully true, if ya check some of the prices out, chief.

1) ported TB cost me, 150.

2) most of the intakes slated to come out at most 400$, obviously there will be sales, 350-400 is realistic shipped.

3) and most places tune for 150-200$ (going on local hp tuner using shops)

if you wanna add in catbacks, and EVERYTHING you can throw at a car, then sure. it might be a couple of grand, but if its just basic boltons, then nah....that's false.

also as it "seems" to you, may not be anothers goals, or would that even be relevant to that individual. gotta remember, some only buy some mods for the sounds and will never visit a dyno or track. we're all different.

for myself, I personally don't wanna deal with V8 insurance in this area. DC-Baltimore area....awful.

I don't need 455hp, with the option to easily mod to over 1000hp (funds allowing). my lil 335 to the crank plus a 10-20 is good enough for me on the autox course and tracks.

I've had the car 5 months and am at 17,000+ miles. I travel. not a cars and coffee only car. I use my car. I'd be paying a hella lot more in gas. my 07 charger I did 244,000 miles in 6 years. it all adds up.

and since I race and mod my car, so if you do buy a v8, then you'll be buying the same stuff if not more. then what? you spend more money just the same. and someone can make the claim.... "well for all you spent on that SS, you coulda bought a used viper, or gt350, or llama with nitrous and methanol kit..." the saga of, "you could bought...." will never end. so people buy whats good for them...not for someone else.

people who mod their car, do it for many different reasons. doesn't matter what they buy, its gonna be modded to go faster...or be more e2r 1. if you wanna stay stock, no problem. that's why sidelines have benches and bleachers, and the field or track for those that wanna play

YES, the dead spot is gone past 2500. also acceleration is stronger in the sense that you don't have to press down on the pedal as much/far to get the same results through different rpms and speeds.

I run the V-Maxx motorsports ported TB the same as they made and I had on my 5th gen.

Did your ported TB void your warranty? Has anyone tested the AFE CAI in conjunction with a ported body?