Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 11-20-2016, 08:02 PM   #1
dentnshell

Drives: Black 2014 2SS
Solid Subframe Bushing install - Pegasus Review

Installed my Solid Subframe Bushings from Pegasus today.

Install was just under 3 hours. Just my wife and I in the garage. Put the car on jack stands and used 2 - jacks and the heat method.
Removed the rear sway bar, and the lower shock bolt. I do have an impact which made the install so much easier than I had feared. I really thought this install was going to be a big deal. It was not, it was much easier than the 1" drop springs. I am sure if I had to cut them out, I would have felt differently.

I did not drop the exhaust "NPP" I did however loosen up one side at a time in order to drop the subframe enough to get a socket on top of the rear subframe. I was only able to initially get a pry bar on top of the rear bushings. I ended up taking the bolts out of both the front and rear of one side to gain enough clearance to install the bushings.

FWIW only one bushing "Popped" out like the videos show... The rest slowly squeezed out as they melted. I only applied heat to the outside of the bushing just like the videos, but I did try to heat as much of the exposed metal on that one side.

The inserts are not drop in, I would say they are press in with the jack and with the impact upon re-install. This only makes sense, as you certainly don't want any slop in the bushing. The bushings appear to be of great quality the look great and feel even more "refined" than I was anticipating. The fit and finish is perfect!

The NVH increase is minimal if nothing at all. The car launches much truer with less sideways lunging. It is dead on now ( Installed the ZL1 differential last weekend, and wanted to put a few miles on that mod boefore the subframe mounts, for comparisons sake.) The performance increase is also noticeable when going over seams in the road. Before the car had a tendency to skip sideways / wiggle when going over a perpendicular seam in the road... Difficult to describe. I was unable to get into get an alignment yet (scheduled for tomorrow.) I figure it is due after the new rear end and bushings.

In short - Don't be afraid of this mod, it is not difficult and, IMO, definitely worth it at any power level! There are other brands available, but none of those could touch the price of the Pegasus mounts. So glad I went with these instead of inserts!

~Denton
Mods: LSA Conversion 2.5" Upper Pulley, 65# injectors, GPI SS1 Cam, SP Long Tubes, ADM Race Scoop & CAI, NPP exhaust (DIY control), BMR 1" lowering springs, ZL1 Rear Differential / Axles, CF Side Strip / Hood Spear, Tint - Windows / Tails / Sidemarkers, Splash Guards, ADM Boost Gauge, ABL Dashkit, '68 Script Badges, ACS T4 Splitter, ZL1 Rockers from Gary's, Z28 Spoiler, Carbon Fiber Hood Vent, Summer - MRR FS01 Satin Black (10" Front 11" Rear) Winter, pictured-Drag DR 64's Satin Black (9" Front-10" Rear.)
dentnshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 05:25 AM   #2
Soybeanrice

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
i appreciate the review... I'm gonna go ahead and get these myself. How did you end up getting the steel sleeves out ? Will there be enough room for me to cut them with a sawzall?
Soybeanrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 06:15 AM   #3
JantzenOKC

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Twin Turbo
I was very happy with my Pegasus subframe bushings. Mine definitely didn't press in though. Two I tapped in and the other two would actually go in and spin a little bit. But once I tightened them up they all got tight and there is no slip. The rear end feels way better being hard mounted like this. And I agree, NVH was barely any louder than before. Great mod and a great price.
JantzenOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 07:56 AM   #4
dentnshell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soybeanrice View Post
i appreciate the review... I'm gonna go ahead and get these myself. How did you end up getting the steel sleeves out ? Will there be enough room for me to cut them with a sawzall?
In short... I didn't.
Here is a camaro5 thread that shows a video

Get the torch. If you don't have a handheld torch, pick one up it. I am amazed at what I use it for. It is often great to be able to simply apply a little heat. For this job I would have to say it was way easier than a saw. But since I didn't try the saw. I could be wrong.
Mods: LSA Conversion 2.5" Upper Pulley, 65# injectors, GPI SS1 Cam, SP Long Tubes, ADM Race Scoop & CAI, NPP exhaust (DIY control), BMR 1" lowering springs, ZL1 Rear Differential / Axles, CF Side Strip / Hood Spear, Tint - Windows / Tails / Sidemarkers, Splash Guards, ADM Boost Gauge, ABL Dashkit, '68 Script Badges, ACS T4 Splitter, ZL1 Rockers from Gary's, Z28 Spoiler, Carbon Fiber Hood Vent, Summer - MRR FS01 Satin Black (10" Front 11" Rear) Winter, pictured-Drag DR 64's Satin Black (9" Front-10" Rear.)
Old 11-25-2016, 03:51 PM   #5
2012LS3VERT

Drives: 2012 2SSRS Vert, Black w/M6
Thanks for the review! I generally do the heat method, the saw method can get very tiring. I have done it both ways several times. For anyone without a lift, I definitely recommend the heat method.

These are our most popular product, and definitely what we recommend as a first suspension upgrade before other suspension mods. We keep running out of them, we are making extra sets this week so that we will have plenty in the future!

As to the fitment in the subframe sleeves, The tubes in the subframe become out of round when they are welded in, so how tight they are in the tubes varies from one car to the next. If we made them tighter, some people would have issues with them being too tight. When the cradle gets bolted back in, the tubes actually squeeze around the bushings. If you were to take the subframe back out, the ones that were on the loose side would likely have to be hammered out. We have disassembled several cars with with our bushings installed to verify that everything squeezes into position when installed and won't move.

As always, I'm happy to help with install questions!
2012LS3VERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 05:55 PM   #6
JOHNSONROD

Drives: 62 Chevy & 2021 1SS/1LE manual
man, i want a set. i want those camber plates too but my budget wont allow for both right now.
JOHNSONROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 06:14 PM   #7
dentnshell

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012LS3VERT View Post
Thanks for the review! I generally do the heat method, the saw method can get very tiring. I have done it both ways several times. For anyone without a lift, I definitely recommend the heat method.

These are our most popular product, and definitely what we recommend as a first suspension upgrade before other suspension mods. We keep running out of them, we are making extra sets this week so that we will have plenty in the future!

As to the fitment in the subframe sleeves, The tubes in the subframe become out of round when they are welded in, so how tight they are in the tubes varies from one car to the next. If we made them tighter, some people would have issues with them being too tight. When the cradle gets bolted back in, the tubes actually squeeze around the bushings. If you were to take the subframe back out, the ones that were on the loose side would likely have to be hammered out. We have disassembled several cars with with our bushings installed to verify that everything squeezes into position when installed and won't move.

As always, I'm happy to help with install questions!
Again on the size.. I think they are perfect... I was expecting drop in but it only makes sense that they SHOULD NOT be drop in... We are trying to firm things up. I did take a knife and clean some of the old nylon residue out... This made the bushings perfect.

Thanks for the great product.
Old 11-25-2016, 08:31 PM   #8
2012LS3VERT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNSONROD View Post
man, i want a set. i want those camber plates too but my budget wont allow for both right now.
Anyone looking at multiple products, or previous customers, should PM me for special deals! Especially when the new parts we are finalizing are announced!
Old 11-26-2016, 11:54 AM   #9
JantzenOKC

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Twin Turbo
Quote:
Anyone looking at multiple products, or previous customers, should PM me for special deals! Especially when the new parts we are finalizing are announced!
JantzenOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 02:26 PM   #10
JOHNSONROD

Drives: 62 Chevy & 2021 1SS/1LE manual
pm the man. i did and he is working with me.
JOHNSONROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 02:57 PM   #11
2012LS3VERT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNSONROD View Post
pm the man. i did and he is working with me.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:29 PM   #12
Soybeanrice

Happy to say I got the mounts coming! I do have a torch, but from my experience it usually leaves the steel sleeve, which you then have to cut.

I got a little excited and destroyed my wallet on the sales. Got many goodies coming!
Old 11-28-2016, 06:33 PM   #13
2012LS3VERT

The stock bushings have a plastic sleeve that comes out with the rubber, no steel sleeve.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:22 PM   #14
Soybeanrice

Quote:
The stock bushings have a plastic sleeve that comes out with the rubber, no steel sleeve.
the best news ive heard in a while! YES! I did a friends diff bushing last week and cutting the sleeve sucked