Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-29-2016, 03:17 PM   #1
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
No-Lift-Shift in Manual Convertibles

May be a stupid question but before I try it (I only want to do it juuuust once ) is there any specific thing I should know?

Is it always on? I'd likely put my Vert into sport and then double tap the TC button to go into "Competition Mode" when I try it. (In which full engine power is available but Stabilitrak will step in if lateral traction is lost, meaning if you go sideways it will step back in but it will not cut wheel spin and anything like that).

Anybody no lift shift their M6 Verts?
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 03:41 PM   #2
Candr3535

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Triple Black Vert M6 #5591
I have many times without any problems. It really does work. I drive most of the time with all the nannies off.
Dyna-Tech Headers Ceramic Coated w/Super Flo Cats, JRE Custom Rough Idle Racing Cam Package and 125 RWHP Pulley Kit w/ 28% pulley, Custom Tune by Ted, ID850 injectors, JMS Fuel Booster, NGK Plugs, MSD Plug Wires, Roto-Fab CAI, Roto-Fab Big Gulp, Elite Catch Can, Mild to Wild, 90mm VMaxx Ported Throttle Body, Skip Shift Elim., D3 Coolant Resevoir, Separated Clutch Resevoir, and Fuzzy Red Dice..
Candr3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 03:58 PM   #3
Rottypiper

Drives: 2015 Camaro Zl1 Convertible
It works great but if it's cold out and those tires aren't sticking be prepared to let off the gas!!
Rottypiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 04:18 PM   #4
Candr3535

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Triple Black Vert M6 #5591
Lol u got that right, especially if nannies are off
Dyna-Tech Headers Ceramic Coated w/Super Flo Cats, JRE Custom Rough Idle Racing Cam Package and 125 RWHP Pulley Kit w/ 28% pulley, Custom Tune by Ted, ID850 injectors, JMS Fuel Booster, NGK Plugs, MSD Plug Wires, Roto-Fab CAI, Roto-Fab Big Gulp, Elite Catch Can, Mild to Wild, 90mm VMaxx Ported Throttle Body, Skip Shift Elim., D3 Coolant Resevoir, Separated Clutch Resevoir, and Fuzzy Red Dice..
Candr3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 04:37 PM   #5
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Be very careful and mindful of other motorist...I would find an isolated road with limited traffic...When you release the clutch it's going to either hook and could jump the line of travel or spin and fishtail from one lane to the other (but I'm still on the OEM GY's)...You may want to do your first attempt at 2nd to 3rd, 1st to 2nd can be violent...

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 05:02 PM   #6
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

Drives: a car with 8 cylinders
I saw this on youtube and instantly wished I had bought an M6... seems awesome, video tape your experimentation with this... lol!

flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 06:21 PM   #7
Can'tHave2MuchHP

I'll test it on 3rd to 4th first probably. May not get to do it until next year though as the cold is here to stay for us Michiganders.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:38 PM   #8
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
I'll test it on 3rd to 4th first probably. May not get to do it until next year though as the cold is here to stay for us Michiganders.
Eats clutches, ask me how I know.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 10:49 PM   #9
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Speed may be to fast for 3rd to 4th depending on roadway and traffic, but the shift wouldn't be violent...

Old 11-29-2016, 10:50 PM   #10
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
Ok...I'm asking...

Old 11-30-2016, 06:06 AM   #11
ZL1Kid_AL

Drives: 2014 ZL1- Summit White M6
Quote:
+1. Eats the stock clutch right up. Also can bend forks, gates, or destroy synchros. I'll find out when I pull the trans and send it for repair/build
Old 11-30-2016, 07:48 AM   #12
winterboy8

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Blue Velvet Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1Kid_AL View Post
+1. Eats the stock clutch right up. Also can bend forks, gates, or destroy synchros. I'll find out when I pull the trans and send it for repair/build
You're modded, don't you think at stock power it will work just fine? Not eating up clutch, and other damage you speak of?
Old 11-30-2016, 07:54 AM   #13
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by STUNNAH View Post
Ok...I'm asking...
Your putting excessive wear on the clutch and flywheel because you are shifting at WOT thus forcing the clutch to mate up with the flywheel which will accelerate between your shifts, vs taking your foot out of the throttle and giving the pressure plate/Clutch a sec to lock up. Yes its fun, and yes it might save some tenths on the strip, but in the end it wears the hell out of everything in the drivetrain. If you are modded expect it to wear even faster..

The clutch disk are not that large on the M6 and while they will hold up quite well, they wont if you are virtually slipping the clutch in every gear, which is what power-shifting is. When I tore my trans out last winter there was nothing left on either clutch disc and the flywheel had nothing but hotspots. If you want to do it a lot make sure you keep a couple of grand around or get good at pulling the trans by yourself. PS as the Z-Kid said, loves to eat the 3rd gear syncros..
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:48 AM   #14
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Quote:
Your putting excessive wear on the clutch and flywheel because you are shifting at WOT thus forcing the clutch to mate up with the flywheel which will accelerate between your shifts, vs taking your foot out of the throttle and giving the pressure plate/Clutch a sec to lock up. Yes its fun, and yes it might save some tenths on the strip, but in the end it wears the hell out of everything in the drivetrain. If you are modded expect it to wear even faster..

The clutch disk are not that large on the M6 and while they will hold up quite well, they wont if you are virtually slipping the clutch in every gear, which is what power-shifting is. When I tore my trans out last winter there was nothing left on either clutch disc and the flywheel had nothing but hotspots. If you want to do it a lot make sure you keep a couple of grand around or get good at pulling the trans by yourself. PS as the Z-Kid said, loves to eat the 3rd gear syncros..
This is all I ever hear about power shifting and with GM late-model cars, no lift shifting. That it's all bad and destroys this and that...

When the car came out it had a 36k 3 year warranty and they let everybody clearly know this car comes with launch control and no lift shift and all this stuff. I guess they were betting on either the car can take it or two they will gladly replace a clutch and trans?

My car is stock with 3700 miles on it, I think I'd be fine for many many no lift shifts, even though I'm likely not going to do it.

People have ZR1s and ZL1s and beat the shit out of them, no lifting, redline, drag strip, road course, and they're still going strong. Not that I condone any of that, and I'd certainly never do it.