Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 12-29-2016, 11:19 AM   #1
markgws6

Drives: 2019 Chevy Equinox Premier AWD
low speed turns gear/diff noise?

Does anyone else with a 1LE hear what sounds like a gear noise/chatter from their rear diff with low speed-tight radius turns?

Is it just possibly the tires breaking tread as I turn? I've not heard this sound before. It's like a gear is scraping on something.

Car drives okay so far and does not make the noise going straight or turning larger radius turns. How often are people who track replacing the diff fluid?

Last edited by markgws6; 06-06-2017 at 12:04 PM.
markgws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:30 AM   #2
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Are you sure it isn't just the inside wheel skipping a bit? I have a ~120 left hand turn on my way home every day that's done at 5mph or less (very tight) and this used to activate the nannies as the outside wheel turns quite a bit more than the inside one. Now I disable the nannies every day a block before that corner and then turn them back on as soon as its done. It helps with the ABS/traction control, but the inside wheel still skips a little bit becase of the LSD.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:55 AM   #3
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
[QUOTE=Billy10mm;9477078]Are you sure it isn't just the inside wheel skipping a bit? I have a ~120 left hand turn on my way home every day that's done at 5mph or less (very tight) and this used to activate the nannies as the outside wheel turns quite a bit more than the inside one. Now I disable the nannies every day a block before that corner and then turn them back on as soon as its done. It helps with the ABS/traction control, but the inside wheel still skips a little bit becase of the LSD.[/QUOTE

Mine is not doing it , but I have had other cars with LSD do it .
Old 12-29-2016, 12:33 PM   #4
markgws6

Interesting. I think because of the temps this morning, I left the nannies on.
I will have to try the same turns with it completely off to see if there are any differences. At this point, I'm not sure where the noise is coming from, only towards the rear.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:37 PM   #5
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Pulling into bank my wife's office used to be in, there was a crazy scraping / dragging sound that I determined was coming from the right rear that was being lifted off the ground due to the stiffness of the car / sharp incline of the entrance. That brake was trying to stop that lifted wheel from spinning, but as I powered to get up the incline, it spun the wheel through the brake. Might be the same thing you are hearing. With the nannies all the way off, no problems.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 02:12 PM   #6
Mr V

Drives: 2011 VR SS Vert
My 2011 SS had that issue and I had it fixed under TSB PI-0137D. No noise since. I think the TSB would apply to a 2013 1LE also. The TSB says the noise is caused by slipping/sticking of the clutch plates in the rear end. The TSB includes replacing the fluid and seals. The reason they have to replace the seals is they are not compatible with the new fluid.
Mr V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 07:27 PM   #7
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GONIF View Post

Mine is not doing it , but I have had other cars with LSD do it .
+1

If chatter is deemed the culprit, a lil Redline Friction
Modifier additive may be the ticket out.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 07:30 PM   #8
Camaro Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
My 2011 SS had that issue and I had it fixed under TSB PI-0137D. No noise since. I think the TSB would apply to a 2013 1LE also. The TSB says the noise is caused by slipping/sticking of the clutch plates in the rear end. The TSB includes replacing the fluid and seals. The reason they have to replace the seals is they are not compatible with the new fluid.
Good info, thanks for sharing. 👍

For those though that prefer no one touch their car, even if free warranty work, I still suggest the redline additive. If it's Chatter that is.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:53 AM   #9
Mr V

Drives: 2011 VR SS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
Good info, thanks for sharing. 👍

For those though that prefer no one touch their car, even if free warranty work, I still suggest the redline additive. If it's Chatter that is.
yes, that would probably work. I think what they replaced it with was the ZL1 diff fluid which has different friction modifiers as you suggested.
Mr V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 05:40 PM   #10
Abdi
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by markgws6 View Post
How often are people who track replacing the diff fluid?
I change the rear differential fluid after every track weekend. I know that sounds excessive, IMHO it's the one component in our cars taking some real abuse unless your have a cooler fitted. I use Redline https://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=133&pcid=4

I do not use the modifier and I've had no issues, my car is not daily driven. On my wife's Touareg and my Cruze I will use what ever oil brand on sale at Walmart or Amazon. On the Camaro or my previous BMW I hate to admit that I'm a Redline fan boy. The guys at Turner Motorsports which my buddy works for turned me onto the brand. So I guess that means take my advice on fluid brand with a grain of salt.

Cheers!
Abdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:06 AM   #11
Camaro Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdi View Post
I use Redline https://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=133&pcid=4

I do not use the modifier and I've had no issues, my car is not daily driven.
You do not need the modifier, because the product in that link already has it added within its list of ingredients.

The bottles with "NS" designation do not have the modifier added, thus allowing the end user to customize if need be.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:29 AM   #12
CrystalRedTintcoat

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
Mark, I've replaced differential fluid at least twice. The manual says after 24 hours of track time. Ten track days and I'd say change the fluid. Or sooner if you want to be a bit anal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:36 AM   #13
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
I've ran diff fluid that says "no limited-slip additive required" and they chattered and bound and made noise till no end. Switching to a different fluid fixed that for me. Or just add a bit of additive and do some tight figure-8s in the lot to work it in.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:40 AM   #14
markgws6

It still does this with the "nannies" ALL the way off. So I think it is the diff. I will try replacing the fluid as some have suggested to see if that solves it. thanks!