Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-25-2009, 12:19 AM   #1
Jeanius

Drives: Blk/Blk 2018 Sierra SLT
Anyone had their differential fluid changed?

If I remember right, Manual says to change at 1500 Miles if you plan on "racing", anyone done it? findings?
Jeanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:02 AM   #2
jamesc1123

Drives: CGM 2SS RS w/ white stripes
Did it. Umm, there's plenty of goop on the drain and fill plugs. Not sure if that's just some sorta packing grease, anti-seize, or metal shavings, but it's gone now. Also, I wasn't able to fit a whole quart plus 2.5 oz or LSD. Probably a good 4 oz short. But I haven't blown up the differential yet
jamesc1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:06 AM   #3
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
They say if you use RoyalPurple, there already is the additive in it. With my Zoomers exhaust, i have to drop the driver's side can and pipe in order to get to the differential drain bolt :( So, since I don't race, i will change when the manual suggests since it will be a chore! I've heard lots of people saying there were plenty of metal shavings in their diff oil when the changed it.
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:34 AM   #4
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
When I do mine, it'll be the GM recommended fill, not some magic 3rd party goop. GM recommended lubes have always been good for me.
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:38 AM   #5
djm96z28

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS LS3
Just an FYI, I've always had the differential fluid in my '96 Z28 changed at the Chevy dealer. In the past, they've used GM fluid with the additive. Last time I had it done, the dealer used Royal Purple, and without using the GM additive. Works fine, no noise at all.
djm96z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 12:40 PM   #6
camaro1

Drives: 550+RWHP 2010 camaro
i would change it as soon as you can, mine had goop on the magnet also and came out like dirty water, very thin
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
camaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 12:48 PM   #7
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
What's the cost on doing this? Even if we don't plan on "racing" it should we get this done anyway?

Thanks.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:11 PM   #8
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotpa View Post
When I do mine, it'll be the GM recommended fill, not some magic 3rd party goop. GM recommended lubes have always been good for me.
Royal Purple is not "some magic 3rd party goop". It's used religiously by the Mazda racing guys; I used it in my RX8 for years and the difference in performance and sound is startling. You can actually feel the improvement, especially in the trans. The trans shifts smoother and one of the biggest surprises is how much quieter the trans and differential are after you put RP in it. You'll actually get a few more hp to the rear wheels as a result of the reduction in friction loss.

Do as you like but know that Royal Purple has the reputation it does on the track because it delivers as promised. If it can hold up under the extreme heat and conditions of track use, it's more than adequate for the street.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 01:19 PM   #9
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

+1 I already bought a container of the RP differential oil, but again, it's not an easy change anymore :( I'll get to it though...just being lazy. Maybe right before (or right after) our 12/19 track day at Streets of Willow!
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Old 10-25-2009, 02:01 PM   #10
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
+1 I already bought a container of the RP differential oil, but again, it's not an easy change anymore :( I'll get to it though...just being lazy. Maybe right before (or right after) our 12/19 track day at Streets of Willow!
I crossed the 1,500 mile mark yesterday at the SoCal Camaro5 event so probably tomorrow I'll get the oil changed with RP and most likely the differential with RP gear oil too. I have the Zoomer's exhaust too and I haven't looked at it. The plug for the diff is behind the exhaust pipe?

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 10-25-2009, 02:52 PM   #11
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Yes, there is NO room to get a socket in there at all. I think you have to drop most of the driver's side pipes to get at it. I know it's not that hard to do, just time consuming. Maybe this coming weekend...
Old 10-25-2009, 03:29 PM   #12
the rich dude

Drives: Getting 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
I crossed the 1,500 mile mark yesterday at the SoCal Camaro5 event so probably tomorrow I'll get the oil changed with RP and most likely the differential with RP gear oil too. I have the Zoomer's exhaust too and I haven't looked at it. The plug for the diff is behind the exhaust pipe?
you putting RP in your M6 tranny and diff?? Any additives needed for the tranny or rear end using RP? What oils you using? Thanks.
the rich dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 04:17 PM   #13
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rich dude View Post
you putting RP in your M6 tranny and diff?? Any additives needed for the tranny or rear end using RP? What oils you using? Thanks.
Diff for sure, tranny probably. I just use the recommended from RP; probably be the same as for the RX8 which was Max Gear 75w-90; that's pretty standard. I'll check first though just to be sure. No additives needed. I'll be using RP for engine oil too.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 10-25-2009, 04:24 PM   #14
camaro1

Drives: 550+RWHP 2010 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
Yes, there is NO room to get a socket in there at all. I think you have to drop most of the driver's side pipes to get at it. I know it's not that hard to do, just time consuming. Maybe this coming weekend...

mine took about 10 min to change out, you dont have to touch the exhaust at all, there is plenty of room to get a ratchet in there
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
camaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote