Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-11-2017, 04:59 PM   #1
Irek
Eric

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Could the blocked pushrod damage the pistons?

Hi Guys

Last month I have experienced a serious problem with my car. I am trying to analyze right now what could happen and I would like to check if my way of thinking is correct. The story looks as follow:

My Camaro SS 2010 (L99) is equipped with TVS 2300 Magnuson compressor, as on the picture below:

During one of the visits in the garage my mechanic removed the compressor (for cleaning purposes) and installed it back. After that I have started to hear a clear metallic knocking in the engine. It was following the RPM, so the higher engine speed – the faster knocking.
I was driving with it for 2-3 months as nobody could locate the reason. After several weeks I started to hear strange „shots” during stronger acceleration, which sounded like coming from the exhaust system but from the front of the car. I could feel inside that the "shots" were shaking the whole car and were influencing the acceleration.
My mechanic was blaming the injectors which according to him were pouring too much fuel to the combustion chamber. The fact it that two of the injectors were really functioning a bit incorrectly, which was diagnosed during the previous checks.

However after deeper examination my mechanic found the following pushrod damage:

It appeared that one of the screw sockets in my compressor has a bigger depth than the other 7 sockets:

We have noticed that there was a little bit shorter screw installed in the deeper socket, which was by mistake replaced with another screw – a bit longer. The difference was really just 2 millimeters.
The longer screw was hitting the pushrod and this was a reason for metallic knocking in the engine.

The screw was corrected, pushrod replaced with a new one, but while driving I could still hear and feel the „shots” influencing acceleration and pulling the whole car.
One month later I have noticed additional sound like metal parts rattling in the engine. Then I decided to disassemble the engine.

This is what we found inside:

Two of the pistons were damaged and that’s why I heard the rattling of the metallic parts in the engine.

Now I am trying to found out what could be a reason of this damage, as my further discussions with the mechanic depend on that (in field of responsibility for the damage). I can see 2 options:

OPTION 1 – the blocked pushrod cased incorrect valve functionality, which in the final stage caused the damage. The fact it that the broken piston was exactly on the cylinder where the pushrod was blocked. But in this case I am not sure if this could cause also damage in the next cylinder.

OPTION 2 – my mechanic is convincing me that the blocked pushrod could not make such a damage, and according to him the reason were two incorrectly working injectors. According to this hypotheses the fuel was getting to the combustion chamber as a fluid instead of the mist. This could result in the high pressure pushing the lower side of the piston, which could explain damage in the upper part on the other side.

I would appreciate your opinion about this issue. Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Irek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:28 PM   #2
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Wow man, that really sucks!

Good catch though, just a shame you couldn't get to it before the damage to the piston skirts.

Have you taken a look at the crank yet?
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:42 PM   #3
8balldeluxe

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS Victory Red
I'd like to see the crank as well
Speed Engineering Headers w/ Texas Speed HFC's ~ Flowmaster 2 1/2" cat back w/Flowmaster Super 10's ~ Cold Air Inductions Intake w/ Scoop and WW relocate ~ VMAX CNC Spiral PTB ~ Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors w/Hawk pads ~ ZL1 Spoiler ~ SCTX4 RDP Tuned
8balldeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:57 PM   #4
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
Well damn. That sucks but good thing there wasnt more damage!!!
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:10 PM   #5
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
1. Is this an out of the box new Maggie, an off the shelf kit or a kit that was 'assembled' from used parts purchased or acquired from more than one source?

2. What was the RWHP?

3. How did the technician know two injectors were streaming raw gas into the cylinder as opposed to vaporizing the fuel as designed?

4. Why were the malfunctioning injectors not replaced?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 11:45 PM   #6
rjs1le

Drives: 2014 2ss/rs/1le
Everything was fine until the mechanic pulled it apart. Hmmm, sounds like he's buying a new motor.
rjs1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 03:22 AM   #7
Irek
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
Wow man, that really sucks!

Good catch though, just a shame you couldn't get to it before the damage to the piston skirts.

Have you taken a look at the crank yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8balldeluxe View Post
I'd like to see the crank as well

In general the crank was not damaged. There are some minor spots which needs to be polished before assembling the engine.
Attached Images

Last edited by Irek; 05-12-2017 at 03:46 AM.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:43 AM   #8
Irek
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
1. Is this an out of the box new Maggie, an off the shelf kit or a kit that was 'assembled' from used parts purchased or acquired from more than one source?

2. What was the RWHP?

3. How did the technician know two injectors were streaming raw gas into the cylinder as opposed to vaporizing the fuel as designed?

4. Why were the malfunctioning injectors not replaced?

1. I am not sure if I understand your question correctly (sorry my English is far from perfection). The engine was original and nothing was modified in the past except for the installation of the compressor 6 years ago. Of course it was followed by new exhaust system, suspension, additional fuel pump etc. However the car made 30.000 miles after the tuning.

2. RWHP was around 480hp. It was never pushed to higher level due to the automatic transmission.

3. Few months before the engine damage mechanic was replacing the spark plugs and at the same time mechanic removed the injectors and examined them in outside conditions. He connected it to the fuel rail and pumped some fuel through the injectors.

4. Mechanic informed me that it would be good to replace 2 of them. The injectors were ordered in US with delivery to Europe but in the meantime the engine was mounted and I was using the car.

I am not able to check if these 2 injectors were installed exactly in the cylinders with the broken pistons. I have to rely on statement from the mechanic - he is saying so.

But the coincidence is that the damaged pushrod was installed for sure on the cylinder with the broken piston. This is why I am confused about the reason of the damage.

If the reason would be the pushrod than I would be in the position to claim this damage.
If the reason would be the injectors, than I could not blame mechanic about it.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:42 AM   #9
sdynak

Drives: 2010 1SS
Is there damage to the top of the pistons? That would be the area if the pushrod was held up by the bolt and the piston hit the valve.. But as you mentioned would really only see this in the cylinder the pushrod was held up on.. Did you actually see the faulty injector spray? Really don't see how 2 cylinders could be affected by 1 pushrod and the damage would start at the top. Share pictures of the top of the pistons. Is there any valve damage in that cylinder? Bent or anything visual?
2010 1SS LS3, Black, 235/250, .621/.615, 114 + 4, Kooks Stepped Headers, 3.91's, Bo White PTB, Flowmaster Mufflers, Cold Air Industries CAI, Apex Scoop & Windshield Washer Relocate, SLP Wheels, Skip Shift Eliminate, Barton Flat Stick, OEM HID/Halos, Dyno Tuned by ECS
sdynak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 06:22 AM   #10
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
If an injector caused piston damage it would typically be from fuel bleeding past the rings and causing no lubrication to the cylinder wall. You would see evidence of this by scuffed skirts. I'm not seeing that in the picture. The broken piston appears to be from a mechanical failure.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:13 AM   #11
Irek
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdynak View Post
Is there damage to the top of the pistons? That would be the area if the pushrod was held up by the bolt and the piston hit the valve.. But as you mentioned would really only see this in the cylinder the pushrod was held up on.. Did you actually see the faulty injector spray? Really don't see how 2 cylinders could be affected by 1 pushrod and the damage would start at the top. Share pictures of the top of the pistons. Is there any valve damage in that cylinder? Bent or anything visual?
This is good idea. I will be visiting mechanic today so I will take a closer picture of the top of the pistons and will check for any mechanical damage. However I am not sure if the blocked pushord kept the valve in open or closed position. If in closed then the valve would not have any contact with the piston.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:38 AM   #12
Irek
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
If an injector caused piston damage it would typically be from fuel bleeding past the rings and causing no lubrication to the cylinder wall. You would see evidence of this by scuffed skirts. I'm not seeing that in the picture. The broken piston appears to be from a mechanical failure.
This is also a very good point. While taking the pictures, I will pay attention to the cylinder wall. Thank you for your advice.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:30 AM   #13
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irek View Post
This is also a very good point. While taking the pictures, I will pay attention to the cylinder wall. Thank you for your advice.
Sometimes it can cause the rings to overheat and seize in the ring land but doesn't seem to be the case here. Still looks to be a mechanical failure from what I see.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:33 AM   #14
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
We are going with detonation due to bad injectors.

The damage to the pushrod we believe is a one time thing. Pushrods rotate. If the screw was in contact it would have a mark all the way around the pushrod.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote