Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-19-2017, 11:39 AM   #1
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Bad luck spark plug change - Fragile!

So yesterday I received my new Delco 41-110 plugs from Amazon. Decided it was time to change the plugs. I installed my long tubes with new plugs this past December, but I had a really bad O2 sensor issue that lasted for 1 month before diagnosed and repaired. This caused some major carbon fouling on the plugs.

Swapped them suckers out as soon as as I woke up.

Everything went smooth until plug # 3 (Drivers side, 2nd plug from front). Tightening that plug down I could at one point sounded like the unmistakable sound of ceramic cracking. Backed that plug back out, inspected it for 10 mins under light...seemed OK. No cracks, nothing. Put it back in and then time for a test drive.

Car was backfiring and missing hard, especially under moderate - hard pulls. Didn't throw a CEL or Stabilitrak, which really surprised me.

Swapped that plug back out and replaced it with one of the old plugs. No more miss and running great.

To those wondering why the hell I decided to post this? Just to bring more focus on how damned delicate these plugs are. If you drop one on the driveway under the car? Toss it. If you think it may be compromised or otherwise damaged during install? Toss it.

It is not worth the hassle and cut/burnt fingers and hands. I should have known better than to even try and install it after I heard that 'Ping' sound.

This exercise in stupidity also taught me how I really should have had my headers coated. Jesus Christ those things get hot!

EDIT: Also wanted to mention that each of my old plugs had suffered a bit of 'Gap Drift'. I always check plug gaps on old plugs, just to see how things are acting. My old plugs had closed down to between .035 - .038". OE should be gapped at .040. Not sure if this is normal behavior, or indicative of some other spark or fueling issue. Hopefully someone can chime in.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:13 PM   #2
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Here's an odd quality that the ceramic on those plugs possesses: The ceramic fragments can be used to break automotive glass with ease.

A guy told me about it a few years ago... said that thieves used little pieces of the ceramic to easily break car windows. I did not believe him... sounded like urban legend.

So, I tried it for myself. I have had a number of demolition cars over the years... the windows need to come out before playtime. In the past, I've had fun with that part of the operation, and can tell you that flying kicks and wooden baseball bats rarely, if ever, are able to break through car windows. But, this time, I took a little chunk of this ceramic (about the size of a raisin) and flicked it towards the window glass.

It was amazing. The safety glass completely and instantly shattered. It made a subdued, "whoomp" sound, but nothing loud. Since there was no massive object sailing through the air, the glass held in place. I listened to it for a few minutes, as it snap/ crackle/ popped for a while. Then, I simply poked a hole in the glass. It was like collapsing a sand castle.

I've since done it many times, on many demolition cars. It's easy to see why thieves would find the fragments very useful. For me, it's a parlor trick... a fun thing to try, if you have the opportunity. I can assure you, though... you do NOT want to experiment on a car that's got windows that you DON'T want broken!
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 04:39 PM   #3
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
wow,who would have thought...
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:34 PM   #4
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post
Here's an odd quality that the ceramic on those plugs possesses: The ceramic fragments can be used to break automotive glass with ease.

A guy told me about it a few years ago... said that thieves used little pieces of the ceramic to easily break car windows. I did not believe him... sounded like urban legend.

So, I tried it for myself. I have had a number of demolition cars over the years... the windows need to come out before playtime. In the past, I've had fun with that part of the operation, and can tell you that flying kicks and wooden baseball bats rarely, if ever, are able to break through car windows. But, this time, I took a little chunk of this ceramic (about the size of a raisin) and flicked it towards the window glass.

It was amazing. The safety glass completely and instantly shattered. It made a subdued, "whoomp" sound, but nothing loud. Since there was no massive object sailing through the air, the glass held in place. I listened to it for a few minutes, as it snap/ crackle/ popped for a while. Then, I simply poked a hole in the glass. It was like collapsing a sand castle.

I've since done it many times, on many demolition cars. It's easy to see why thieves would find the fragments very useful. For me, it's a parlor trick... a fun thing to try, if you have the opportunity. I can assure you, though... you do NOT want to experiment on a car that's got windows that you DON'T want broken!
I just watched a video of this . I was totally amazed. The guy didn't even throw it that hard .
Old 06-19-2017, 08:36 PM   #5
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
It is not worth the hassle and cut/burnt fingers and hands. I should have known better than to even try and install it after I heard that 'Ping' sound.
With aluminum heads best to only change a plug when the engine is cold.
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:28 PM   #6
ndtguy
^ Me. Things I write ~>

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Send a message via AIM to ndtguy
Actually had the ceramic vs window happen at a previous job. My windows were tinted and you could see a mark (scratch) but nothing happened. Those who didn't have tint had broken glass. Only thing we figured is the tint allowed the glass to flex just enough without breaking. Who knew?

New DD: 2010 Camaro SS L99/A6 - bone stock.

Gone but not forgotten...
- 2001 Camaro SS m6 - SLP lid, free ram-air mod, poly sway bar bushings/end links, BMR springs and bilsteins.

- 1998 Trans Am m6, forged 347, T70;alky-water injection; intercooled, 208/230 .549/.579 121LSA, Moser 12 bolt, 561rwhp/611rwtq.
ndtguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:12 PM   #7
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Learn something everyday!
Old 06-19-2017, 11:53 PM   #8
alrock

Drives: 2015 Camaro Convertible 2SS RS
Good to know on the plugs. They don't take much torque - I'm sure you were aware of that - to seat them so it must've had a flaw. Maybe it was dropped beforehand.
alrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 05:21 PM   #9
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron123 View Post
With aluminum heads best to only change a plug when the engine is cold.
Agreed. But I warmed the car up when I went for the initial test drive. Then was left with a hot engine to work on. I have to let it cool for a while anyhow, as the headers are just too hot to get near.

As for the bad plug, I don't know...I think it was just a bad plug. I have examined it multiple times since, and cannot find a single visible flaw.

I ordered 1 new plug from Amazon for $8. Got it today and wondered why the package was so heavy for a single plug. They sent me a 4 pack of the plugs! Woohoo!
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI

Last edited by InFiD3ViL; 06-22-2017 at 05:25 PM. Reason: speling errers
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 05:48 PM   #10
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
This is why I won't buy spark plugs online. I don't trust Fedex/UPS/USPS to not drop my package in the how many million times it gets moved. Plus, buying locally makes getting a replacement much much easier.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:46 PM   #11
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbs View Post
This is why I won't buy spark plugs online. I don't trust Fedex/UPS/USPS to not drop my package in the how many million times it gets moved. Plus, buying locally makes getting a replacement much much easier.
So AC/Delco pays someone to hand deliver, direct from the factory, spark plugs to your local auto parts?
Old 06-23-2017, 07:50 AM   #12
DvKillar

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
Agreed. But I warmed the car up when I went for the initial test drive. Then was left with a hot engine to work on. I have to let it cool for a while anyhow, as the headers are just too hot to get near.

As for the bad plug, I don't know...I think it was just a bad plug. I have examined it multiple times since, and cannot find a single visible flaw.

I ordered 1 new plug from Amazon for $8. Got it today and wondered why the package was so heavy for a single plug. They sent me a 4 pack of the plugs! Woohoo!
so for my V6, I will get 2x4 packs and have 2 extra in case of breakage! woot!
DvKillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 09:51 AM   #13
justjoshin

Drives: 2010 SW 1SS L99 Camaro
I had this same thing with my truck a few years back. Thought I had heard it crack and inspection showed nothing but ran like crap. Swapped that plug and it was running great again.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:53 PM   #14
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
I was getting a miss after a spark plug change a few years ago. I figured that I would just pull plug wires off, one at a time, to see if i could identify the faulty plug. Turns out, pulling plug wires off of an idling car is a lousy idea.

The first (and only!) one created a shock that dropped me to the ground. The pain went from my fingers to my elbow. The pain quickly turned to numbness, much of which remains to this day, 30 years later.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote