Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 07-03-2017, 12:47 PM   #1
Kopterman

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
Anything worth doing?

Hi guys,

Is there anything worth doing to the stock BA audio system for $400 or less?

I did disconnect the front center speaker. It actually made a nice improvement!

Thanks for any info!
Kopterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 12:52 PM   #2
BkinBlk

Drives: 2015 2LT RS
Change out the stock amp, first thing. BA amp is less than optimum!
Old 07-03-2017, 06:37 PM   #3
Kopterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BkinBlk View Post
Change out the stock amp, first thing. BA amp is less than optimum!

What would you recommend and would it just be plug & play?
Old 07-03-2017, 10:39 PM   #4
Jrichards73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
Gut it, or don't touch it. Its a rabbit hole, one pill makes you too tall, the other too small and the one GM gave you doesn't do anything at all...

Updates: BTR Stage 2 VVT Cam Kit w/Smith Brothers Trunnions, Fluidampr, RX catch can, B&M Trans pan mod, Kooks Black Headers, Borla S-tunes, Eibach Multi-Pro-R2 coilovers and Swaybars, BMR Full Bushing kit with Toe and Trailing arms, RB Rotors w/EBC Pads, GForce 1400 Axles (now on order). AVH-X5800BHS in Scosche GM5201AB.
Jrichards73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:40 AM   #5
nosmr2

Drives: 2011 L99 SS
There are a handful of 4 channel amps that will fit. You'll need the s u b thump adapter too. And potentially a mounting adapter. It's been A while since I did mine. But if you shop around you can do that for under $400.

Or buy a Rockford Fosgate woofer with box and amp for around $180. Add the wiring kit for $25 or so and you've got money left over to dynomat or fake dynomat the trunk.

But I'd go amp first.

nosmr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:07 AM   #6
Kopterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosmr2 View Post
There are a handful of 4 channel amps that will fit. You'll need the s u b thump adapter too. And potentially a mounting adapter. It's been A while since I did mine. But if you shop around you can do that for under $400.

Or buy a Rockford Fosgate woofer with box and amp for around $180. Add the wiring kit for $25 or so and you've got money left over to dynomat or fake dynomat the trunk.

But I'd go amp first.

Thanks for this info! It helps a lot!
Old 07-04-2017, 12:10 PM   #7
nosmr2

Not to be the use the search function guy, but I think someone did a detailed write up with pics on the amp replacement on here.

I'm sure there is a dynamat install writeup because I remember the guy was sore as shit the following day.

Old 07-05-2017, 07:54 AM   #8
BreakingBad
MAGA

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
go check sub thump's website

they have a FARK harness you'd need, along with links detailing getting it installed - this will allow you to use existing wiring with an aftermarket amp. I'd look at JL amps.

You can get away with a *nice* JL 4chan amp for $450, another $100-150 in the harness + mounting board so $5-600 can make a huge improvement to your existing sound stage as well as give you the option to put in different components at a later time (this is what i plan on doing)
“Freedom is not defined by safety. Freedom is defined by the ability of citizens to live without government interference. Government cannot create a world without risks, nor would we really wish to live in such a fictional place. Only a totalitarian society would even claim absolute safety as a worthy ideal, because it would require total state control over its citizens’ lives. Liberty has meaning only if we still believe in it when terrible things happen and a false government security blanket beckons.” - Ron Paul
BreakingBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:45 AM   #9
nosmr2

I purchased this amp: JL Audio JX400/4D 4-channel car amplifier last March. It is currently on sale for $167.49 with free shipping. I'm sure there are better amps out there, but this should work in your budget. I also got my FARK from the classifieds here and saved some cash that way.