Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 07-04-2017, 05:43 AM   #1
Balok

Drives: 2014 Spring Edition SS
It's easy to forget or ignore the danger

I know I'm terribly guilty of looking past or even ignoring the danger inherent in driving our cars at high speeds on a road course. The fun and thrill of it often times take precedent and the risk takes a back seat or in my case just gets thrown out the window altogether.

At VIR last Sunday that all changed for me. I came down the hill from the back straight and onto the front straight and they were waving the black flag. I hoped I didn't miss the checkered flag and it wasn't for me but I knew we had rime left in the session and there were several cars within my view in front of me so I realized that wasn't it.

So I went on back around and as I can over the hill again what I saw literally made me nauseous. I saw dirt and debris on the track but down the hill there was a black car that I later learned was a 250K Ferrari upside down and completely flat as a pancake and starting to catch fire. It didn't look to me like anyone that car could have possibly survived that crash. It literally made me weak in the knees and I'm not a squeamish person at all.

I've been seriously considering stopping driving my Camaro on the track and getting a real race car solely for safety reasons. This made that final decision very easy. The word around the paddock was that the driver and instructor with him both walked away from the crash and that's nothing short of a miracle in my book.

So I guess the whole point of this is please don't be like me and forget how dangerous tracking our cars really is.

The pictures below are one of the smoke from the burning car and what was left of it after they took it away.

Last edited by Balok; 07-04-2017 at 09:36 AM.
Balok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:25 AM   #2
Silent...

Drives: 2012 2LT RS White Born: 11/10/11
Thank you for sharing and reminding us all of the inherent risks associated with pushing our cars to the limit. I hope that the driver and instructor are doing well.
*Grey Hockey Stripes; Heritage Grill; GM GFX - Unpainted Argent Gray; GM Dovetail Spoiler; Rivercity Creations custom painted rear bowtie, RS & Taillight Bezels; MRR M017 Graphite Wheels; Nitto NT555 G2; ACS 4Teen Heat Extractor
*RX Catch Can;CAI; MF Exhaust; VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB; Overkill Stage 1 Supercharger System; Hotchkis Comp Sway Bar Set w/ End Links, Cadillac CTSV 4 Piston Brembos on all corners with SS Black Hat Rotors

Youtube Channel - HPDE Driving Videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpO...8aw6hgX3O1Uh7A
Silent... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 03:39 PM   #3
Mgizzle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
That blows... dont wish that on anybody and hope no one ever has to go through that. I tracked my personal cars for 12 years now and tx God never had an incident but my car has become so fast I had to put a roll hoop in. Hans hoop and understanding its all for "fun" and not championships helps.
Attached Images

Old 07-05-2017, 07:31 AM   #4
Sakudog

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
I've been off track a few times (I track an S2000)... but I will say, I'd rather wreck on a race track than on the street. My basic safety list (for me... )

- SA2015 Helmet
- Approved 5 point
- HANS Hybrid (so I can wear my HANS wherever I f'ing go)
- SPARCO Gloves
- SPARCO hood
- If I'm not getting instruction, I normally throw in my mouthpiece because I have an overbite and can easily chip teeth.
Ryker #29
2019 ZL1 1LE A10
2015 Z/28 #809
Sakudog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:02 AM   #5
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
That is the Reason I no longer Right Seat Instruct! It's gotten out of hand with Power Going Up, Nannies available for everything except for Driving Ability, etc.
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:46 AM   #6
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Of course auto racing is dangerous. That's why people do it.
If that went out of your mind you had better find some other way to spend your time. You aren't on a ride at Disney Land.

Maybe skydiving or mountain climbing is next on your list.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:29 AM   #7
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Always respect the car and the massive amount of HP they put out these days.

Glad everyone walked away..
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:08 PM   #8
Balok

Drives: 2014 Spring Edition SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
Of course auto racing is dangerous. That's why people do it.
If that went out of your mind you had better find some other way to spend your time.
Nope, I retired the Camaro from the track just got me something that's safer if I crash.

Balok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:36 PM   #9
SS Performance

Drives: 02 Camaro B4C
Wrecks suck regardless of how expensive the car is.

I do HPDE only. It limits the passing zones and reduces some of the risks. I'm still pretty new at it so I'm not pushing my car anywhere near its limits. I tend to err on the side of caution whenever I'm on the track.

1969 Camaro SS
1970 Camaro SS
2002 Camaro B4C
2014 Camaro SS Dedicated Track Car
2015 Camaro 1SS 1LE
2008 HHR SS
1996 Silverado Crew Cab Long Bed Dual Rear Wheel
SS Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:18 PM   #10
Notilloc

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro SS 1LE
I was recently at an event (4th of July weekend) when a long time veteran hit a wall and died in a trans am car. It was a very scary moment and my friend was on the track racing when it happened and no one can really figure out what happened, if it was a heart attack or the throttle got stuck but it was a terrible situation and I feel awful for the family and friends of the driver. I was beginning to get a little overly confident in my car this summer and it's helped me put everything into perspective recently, I've practiced some new skills and went back to the basics and am making sure to have perfect lines instead of all out lap times and it's just as fun. Be safe out there!

http://www.startribune.com/driver-hi...led/432268573/
Notilloc is offline   Reply With Quote