Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-21-2017, 05:05 PM   #1
Kid

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT, 68 Camaro RS
LLT false temp. spike

Today, for the second time, my temp gauge shot from just below halfway to full hot. The first time it happened last week, it only lasted 10 seconds or so. This time it stayed there for a few minutes.

I knew the car was not overheating, so I didn't pull over and kill the engine.

Does anyone know if the sensor fails high or low? Connector and wiring is fine. I imagine it's a bad sensor, or I possibly an air pocket. I've never done a coolant change, since the new motor went in 15k miles ago.

Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 05:13 AM   #2
Brett64D

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6 LS3
I had the same problem with my SS. I checked the coolant constantly and replaced the thermostat and sensor but the problem continued. I double checked the wiring going to the sensor and found it to be very brittle like it had been overheated. I replaced the wires and it never happened again.
Whipple 2.9L Supercharger, Stage 2 CNC ported heads, Stage 3 Blower cam, ID850 injectors, 3-bolt cam sprocket, Lonnie's double fuel pump system, DOD/AFM Delete kit, ARP head & crank bolts, Trans cooler, Circle D Multi-Disc Torque Converter 3600 Stall, Lakewood sub-frame connectors, BMR Rear Differential Cradle bushings, BMR front and rear sway bars, BMR lower control arms, Lakewood trailing arms, Lakewood adjustable Toe links, One-piece 3.5" Aluminum Driveshaft, 1400 HP Axles. Demon Eye Halos, RapidFire Brake light LEDs, Maas Monaco rims (Custom painted for color match), Heritage Grill.
Brett64D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 07:07 AM   #3
Kid

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT, 68 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett64D View Post
I had the same problem with my SS. I checked the coolant constantly and replaced the thermostat and sensor but the problem continued. I double checked the wiring going to the sensor and found it to be very brittle like it had been overheated. I replaced the wires and it never happened again.

Interesting. When I checked the wires they seemed okay, not brittle. LLT has the sensor screwed in directly above the exhaust manifold. I wonder if it's just heat soak.

I unplug it, check the wires, and sleeve them with some ceramic wrap i have laying around. Thanks!

Kid is offline   Reply With Quote