Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-24-2017, 07:49 PM   #1
Zachariah

Drives: Black 2013 ZL-1
hulk hogan steering

out of the blue i went to start my zl1 and the steering wheel was 180 degrees from normal position.. idiot light flashed "service power steering" ..i checked the fluid level in reservoir but it wasn't there.. i guess things have changed from my jeep yj days. why is my electric power steering fried? ..70,866 total miles.had to use my 24" pythons to muscle my way home..
Zachariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:15 PM   #2
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Gonna need pics of those 24" pythons heheheh

Get it to a dealership if you can safely, if you can't, tow it there. 70,000 miles is quite a bit if it's been driven hard, and stuff is going to start getting worn down.

Last edited by Can'tHave2MuchHP; 08-25-2017 at 03:22 PM.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:34 PM   #3
Zachariah

Drives: Black 2013 ZL-1
wait,..what?!?
Zachariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:45 PM   #4
Redlineviper

Drives: 2013 ZL1
There are posts about the electronic power steering. Often it's a loose ground. Google and you should fine some good info.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:28 PM   #5
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlineviper View Post
There are posts about the electronic power steering. Often it's a loose ground. Google and you should fine some good info.
+1
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 05:26 AM   #6
Zl1dad
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Gonna need pics of those 24" pythons heheheh

Get it to a dealership if you can safely, if you can't, tow it there. 70,000 miles is quite a bit and stuff is going to start getting worn down and ready to be replaced.
70k is quite a bit and stuff is going to start breaking , what did he buy a Ford in the 80s?
Zl1dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 10:09 AM   #7
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zl1dad View Post
70k is quite a bit and stuff is going to start breaking , what did he buy a Ford in the 80s?
I think what you're implying is sarcasm, in which case, yeah a performance car with 70,000+ miles on it, one should expect small things in suspension, brakes, alignment, and even steering to start needing some attention. Especially if the car has seen tracks and hard driving. I'm not saying the car is going to fall apart or something, I'm just saying that small things will start needing attention.

-Former dealership service manager
Old 08-25-2017, 10:58 AM   #8
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlineviper View Post
Good info, I forgot about that. I recall reading where the ground could go weak, especially with a CAI, and cause it to fail. Maybe just restoring the ground will get it going but it's a good reminder to us to ensure good ground. I need to do that myself !
So power steering failures are not so uncommon, and might be partly caused by weak ground connections.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:41 AM   #9
z28lt1

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Not just weak ground, but seems other electric items can cause issues as well. I added on the autoblip, not sure if it is not installed correctly (although it does work) but with it on, I will get the service power steering message after a bit. Haven't touched the main ground to the chassis, only the wires needed for the autoblip. Could be anything electric it seems.
z28lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:59 AM   #10
Zl1dad
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
I think what you're implying is sarcasm, in which case, yeah a performance car with 70,000+ miles on it, one should expect small things in suspension, brakes, alignment, and even steering to start needing some attention. Especially if the car has seen tracks and hard driving. I'm not saying the car is going to fall apart or something, I'm just saying that small things will start needing attention.

-Former dealership service manager
Well duh it's sarcasm. The only thing that should be wearing out or needing to be replaced are wear items. Tires, brakes, clutches, I could understand steering suspension components ONLY if the was tracked and I mean tracked, not 2 or 3 otd or test and tune, and the steering components I'm referring to are ball and socket joints. Anything outside of this stuff is failure. He's got a Chevy and the car is made better then that to have a complete power steering failure due to mileage and maintenance. That's the most stealership thing I've ever hear. I'm pro dealer when it comes to servicing bc I'm a mechanic and feel you take it to the people that make it. And you shouldn't need an alignment unless something knocked it out of alignment or something was changed. So you sir are full of shit.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:02 PM   #11
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Quote:
Well duh it's sarcasm. The only thing that should be wearing out or needing to be replaced are wear items. Tires, brakes, clutches, I could understand steering suspension components ONLY if the was tracked and I mean tracked, not 2 or 3 otd or test and tune, and the steering components I'm referring to are ball and socket joints. Anything outside of this stuff is failure. He's got a Chevy and the car is made better then that to have a complete power steering failure due to mileage and maintenance. That's the most stealership thing I've ever hear. I'm pro dealer when it comes to servicing bc I'm a mechanic and feel you take it to the people that make it. And you shouldn't need an alignment unless something knocked it out of alignment or something was changed. So you sir are full of shit.
I'm not going to continue this and jack the thread. Feel free to PM me if you must.
Old 08-25-2017, 06:43 PM   #12
Redlineviper

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Just reading the posts it seems you took what he said way past face value. He simply stated getting around 70k there are going to start to be some items that will need replacement/service. I don't see anything full of shit about that.
Old 08-25-2017, 06:51 PM   #13
Zl1dad
Account Suspended

Um when the original post pertains to the power steering taking a shit OK a 70k mi car , this isn't normal wear and tear. Something failed. Whether a fuse blew, electric motor took a shit, bad ground, etc... Something failed. Wear items may need to be replaced at this kind of mileage that should be all. Stuff isn't wearing out at 70k mi when cars are built to run 200k+ miles and if this is how you feel vehicles are then you must be used to buying junk. A "around" ( so we don't get technical here" 70k Chevy will not be wearing out such items like these.
Old 08-25-2017, 06:52 PM   #14
Zl1dad
Account Suspended

On a 70k mi car*