Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 11-06-2009, 08:31 AM   #1
Ristaze

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6 Speed
Surface swirl marks

I had some light scratches on the hood of my car on the Stripes, which are black and painted on. I made them worse by trying to get them out using Polishing compound. How do I get them out? Any idea's?

Thanks in advance
Ristaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:41 AM   #2
Bill@StainlessWorks

Drives: 01 Trans AM
Without seeing them i could only say it sounds like you'll need to use a Foam pad on a High Speed or Orbital polisher with something like a 3M Dark Polish.
StainlessWorks.net
800-878-3635 ext.226
Bill@StainlessWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:42 AM   #3
montej23

Drives: 2011 VR Camaro
Maguires 204 and polisher Contact Chris@glimmerglass he can hook you up with everything you need
montej23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:34 AM   #4
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
First, do you have any experience using a buffer?

Random-orbital buffers are pretty much "idiot proof" (that's what I needed ) and do a good job. If you choose that route, you'll also have to look into using the proper pads.

If you're not comfortable using a buffer, I agree on trying '3M polish for Dark Colored Cars', which you should be able to find at an automotive store. I'd start with this, working up to a finer polish.

And, make sure you use the proper applicators and towels for polish application and removal.

I'd recommend you start at the back of the car, where the stripes aren't as "point of focus", to see which products work, and proceed.

Once you've got them looking the way you like, make sure in the future to use good quality wash mitts (sheepskin or chenile) and towels for washing and drying or you'll be back, polishing out more swirl marks.

Don't sweat it. They can be removed/hidden. It just finding the products and process to do it.

Ed
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 04:56 PM   #5
Chris@glimmerglass

Drives: 2001 S10, 2002 M3
Send a message via AIM to Chris@glimmerglass
Are the stripes clear coated?

As mentioned, the most effective and efficient way to remove these will be by the use of a machine. Namely, the Porter Cable 7424xp, which is very user friendly and almost no learning curve.
Meguiars 205 polish is definitely a great polish. I would use it w/ a white pad and see if that gets you the desired the results. You can always step up to an orange pad to give you a little more cut if the white one doesnt do it for you.

If you plan to go this route, I'd recommend picking up the PC 7424xp Starter Package and grabbing a bottle of Meguiars 205 separately.