Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-11-2018, 06:31 PM   #1
MarinosMadmen

Drives: 2012 ZL1 Black/Black
Opinions on a few mods before I purchase

Haven't done much to my 12' ZL1 besides roto fab air intake and popped the fuse in trunk for exhaust, I was looking at the Corsa sport exhaust black , with kook long tube 2" headers and a better pulley system.... Sooo... First question is headers, is silver ceramic coating any good Id def like to get ones ceramic coated, Is the Corsa worth getting over stock I had one on my Z06 vette and loved it. I see people writing about no cats, wont that fail inspection?? With the Corsa is that how the set is with no cats? Finally what pulley system should I get that will give me best HP gains (under drive,supercharger) and where to get them? Sorry for the run on questions just wanna do everything the right way no cutting corners. I will have it dyno tested at the shop after install its just deciding what to get, does anyone have these option put on with proven dyno? I'm interested in the gains.

Thanks
MarinosMadmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 07:21 PM   #2
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Welcome! I'd start by reading the first 2 or 3 pages of threads to get a feel for the platform. Most of your questions are discussed within. If you don't have the time for that, then call a reputable shop to walk you through it. There are several here on this forum that regularly participate in these discussions.
JRE and JDP come to mind.

To take a quick stab at your questions:
Ceramic coating is a good thing. Two thread just below this one discussing this exact topic.

Corsa- also discussed within the last day or two. It's loud. Most people like the fuse pull just as well.

You can run headers with or without cats, regardless of the cat back (stock or corsa). Catless passing just depends on where you are.

Pulleys - deeper discussion required. There are supporting fueling mods required in almost all cases. Injectors, pump controller voltage boosters, and even a camshaft once you get past a certain point. You want to keep the rotor speed below a certain point for bearing life, and keep boost under a certain point to mitigate heat. Like I said, deeper discussion required.

HP - Take a look through the dyno thread . It's a sticky. It will let you know what's possible. But in general, with CAI, headers, pulley(s), and supporting fueling, you can get to about 625-640rwhp in a 6-speed car on pump gas. You can do more on e85 or flex fuel. Past that point, you'll need a cam to keep going safely.

Past Rides-
2014 ZL1 M6 Red Hot | Tons of mods
2004 CTS-V M6 Silver | Many mods
1995 Corvette M6 Torch Red | A few more mods
1992 Camaro M5 White | A few mods
RobZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 07:38 PM   #3
MarinosMadmen

ok thank you for your reply
Old 02-11-2018, 08:38 PM   #4
kinpin
618 RWHP

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinosMadmen View Post
Haven't done much to my 12' ZL1 besides roto fab air intake and popped the fuse in trunk for exhaust, I was looking at the Corsa sport exhaust black , with kook long tube 2" headers and a better pulley system.... Sooo... First question is headers, is silver ceramic coating any good Id def like to get ones ceramic coated, Is the Corsa worth getting over stock I had one on my Z06 vette and loved it. I see people writing about no cats, wont that fail inspection?? With the Corsa is that how the set is with no cats? Finally what pulley system should I get that will give me best HP gains (under drive,supercharger) and where to get them? Sorry for the run on questions just wanna do everything the right way no cutting corners. I will have it dyno tested at the shop after install its just deciding what to get, does anyone have these option put on with proven dyno? I'm interested in the gains.

Thanks
I can give you some information about coatings on headers . I have done some research recently because I have just purchased a set of coated KOOKS Headers with off road pipes for my ZL1 .You will need a coating that is good for 2000+ degrees the standard 1700 wont be enough because you car is supercharges and can exceed that temp and the 1700 degree coating is only good for a very limited time at 1700 degrees. That being said you will be limited on colors because bight colors burn and bubble above 1700 degrees . So if you go with a 2000+ degree you color choices are flat black , flat blue and flat gray . I chose flat black from Jet hot .
good luck
kinpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:23 PM   #5
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
RobZL1 gave you a good base of information. I agree completely with him.

If I were you, I'd come up with a budget and HP goal. HP is a medium of money and willingness to go deep into your engine.

First limitation is going to be fueling
Second limitation is going to be heat
Third is going to be the stock cam

All three or at least two will have to be dealt with most builds.

The car is going to need custom professional dyno tuning before it's driven when these mods are installed. Running catless is dependent on your connection pipes, nothing to do with your axle back (Corsa is what you talked about).

I'd recommend you start with a bolt on setup such as the Jannetty Racing 125 RWHP package. It's the ideal bump in HP without getting too crazy and needing lots of supporting mods.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:24 AM   #6
MarinosMadmen

Ok thanks, You buy them right through kooks or online? what did you pay if u dont mind me asking? are yours catless?

thanks
Old 02-12-2018, 12:22 PM   #7
kinpin
618 RWHP

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinosMadmen View Post
Ok thanks, You buy them right through kooks or online? what did you pay if u dont mind me asking? are yours catless?

thanks
I went though Maryland speed they are the best on price . They are running a special right now I was able to get the header with off road pipes and coated for 2500 degree for 1150 ..
kinpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 12:33 PM   #8
MarinosMadmen

wow that is a pretty good deal!