Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-03-2018, 10:09 PM   #1
Joe Schmo

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
Quieter cold start?

Quick overview of the situation: My L99 has full exhaust now (long tubes, x pipe, mated to a borla atak system).
My neighbor has mentioned that when I cold start, it is so loud that it shakes/vibrates his bedroom windows and doors. Anyway, I was wondering if there's any way to make a cold start in these cars a little less violent? I love the way the car sounds otherwise, but cold starts in the morning are a little insane now.
Joe Schmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:17 PM   #2
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
move? lol sry...good luck mate!

peace
Old 05-03-2018, 10:47 PM   #3
Talladega

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Park it inside and start it in the garage.
Talladega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:19 AM   #4
denboy1

Drives: 2014 2ss Convertible
You could change the way you park. I'm stock so startup sounds like an old man clearing his throat.
denboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:38 AM   #5
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talladega View Post
Park it inside and start it in the garage.
^^^ This. When I get ready to leave for a show early in the morning I do this. However, your neighbor is being a whiny baby and extremely over dramatic. Unless his house is about to fall down, there's no way you're vibrating the doors in his house. He may perceive a little airoverpressure difference in the windows for an instant, but noway are you shaking his doors.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:55 AM   #6
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
^^^ This. When I get ready to leave for a show early in the morning I do this. However, your neighbor is being a whiny baby and extremely over dramatic. Unless his house is about to fall down, there's no way you're vibrating the doors in his house. He may perceive a little airoverpressure difference in the windows for an instant, but noway are you shaking his doors.
lol...in addition to being loud mine also has a tendency to give a big ole backfire on first start!

...and fortunately my neighbors don't f with me...lulz....peace!
Old 05-04-2018, 09:04 AM   #7
JamesMyBoy

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Back in so your exhaust isn't facing his house?
Old 05-04-2018, 10:23 AM   #8
dookie454

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3
Stock tuning has the timing retard ALLOT at cold start to heat the cats faster which falls under the ultra low emissions requirements, retarded timing makes exhaust loud since less combustion energy is pushign the piston down... that extra energy is being wasted out the exhaust. You could tune that part out. I just did this since I installed headers and removed cats, and only have short JBA straight through axle back (not chambered mufflers). So by increasing timing to normal when cold, it's much quieter on cold start.

If you have no cats, then this table should be 0'd out. Even if you have cats, you can 0 this table. The cats will just take more time to warm up.
Attached Images

Last edited by dookie454; 05-04-2018 at 10:35 AM.
dookie454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 11:13 AM   #9
BiggFoot

Drives: 2010 Camaro (M6) 1000+ HP SBE
Its not "really" loud unless you set of proximity alarms when idling through a parking lot, chuckle.
Kooks LT Headers and full 3" exhaust
Fore Triple Pump Fuel System with ID 1700X Injectors - E85 conversion

DSS 9” Conversion (1400 hp axles, driveshaft, pumpkin) & Strange 3.70 gears
McLeod RXT Twin HD Clutch & Upgraded Slave
RPM Level VII
TR6060
BMR Drag Suspension Package w/Strange shocks
Carlyle 15" and M/T ET Street R radials
10.1 @ 143 mph 1/4 mile

BiggFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 12:34 PM   #10
LsxDoctor
15 Year LS1Tech Member

Drives: 2010 ss 391ci LS3
Tell your neighbor to grow some balls.
LsxDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:46 PM   #11
Joe Schmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie454 View Post
Stock tuning has the timing retard ALLOT at cold start to heat the cats faster which falls under the ultra low emissions requirements, retarded timing makes exhaust loud since less combustion energy is pushign the piston down... that extra energy is being wasted out the exhaust. You could tune that part out. I just did this since I installed headers and removed cats, and only have short JBA straight through axle back (not chambered mufflers). So by increasing timing to normal when cold, it's much quieter on cold start.

If you have no cats, then this table should be 0'd out. Even if you have cats, you can 0 this table. The cats will just take more time to warm up.

Interesting information. I no longer have cats installed, so maybe this could be an option. Thanks.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:55 PM   #12
Joe Schmo

Quote:

Yeah, I already use the garage. I was thinking of keeping the garage door closed before starting up, and opening it right after the initial burst of thunder. Just concerned about exhaust fumes getting into the house (attached garage).
Old 05-04-2018, 09:54 PM   #13
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Schmo View Post
Yeah, I already use the garage. I was thinking of keeping the garage door closed before starting up, and opening it right after the initial burst of thunder. Just concerned about exhaust fumes getting into the house (attached garage).
Don’t keep the garage door closed. Literally fire the car up and immediately open the door. The initial bang of the car firing up will be muffled but you shouldn’t have any more fumes than if the car was idling in the garage for a few minutes with the door open.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 10:34 PM   #14
Talladega

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Quote:
Don’t keep the garage door closed. Literally fire the car up and immediately open the door. The initial bang of the car firing up will be muffled but you shouldn’t have any more fumes than if the car was idling in the garage for a few minutes with the door open.
Winner, this is your best option.
Talladega is offline   Reply With Quote