Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 05-08-2018, 04:39 PM   #1
cmancha003

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #1097
Question on knowing if the Z/28 is "the one"

So, I am in the market for a car soonish (2 to 3 months out). I have a couple cars in mind, which the Z/28 is on the list (obviously). How did you know that this was the car for you? Secondary question- did you test drive or ride in one previous to buying it? And last question- with the market as it is, how did you test drive one for those that did? I am in DFW, which I would assume would be one of the more concentrated areas of owners/seller, but there aren't any close for sale. Closest one was sold before it made it to the weekend. Thanks in advance!
cmancha003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:02 PM   #2
Gbland60

Drives: 2015 z28 Black w/ac #645
I don't know if this will answer your question completely but there's not one individual on the Forum that regrets buying theirs but everyone that has sold or traded theirs regrets doing so and I purchased mine based on all the information that I gathered beforehand I did set out to test drive one at a dealership that had only one left and it was abused pretty bad but it was already sold before I could get there
Gbland60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:06 PM   #3
_Chigga

Drives: 2015 Z/28, #225 Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmancha003 View Post
So, I am in the market for a car soonish (2 to 3 months out). I have a couple cars in mind, which the Z/28 is on the list (obviously). How did you know that this was the car for you? Secondary question- did you test drive or ride in one previous to buying it? And last question- with the market as it is, how did you test drive one for those that did? I am in DFW, which I would assume would be one of the more concentrated areas of owners/seller, but there aren't any close for sale. Closest one was sold before it made it to the weekend. Thanks in advance!
Same position as you man, in DFW aswell haha
_Chigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:29 PM   #4
Crush

Drives: 2015 Z28
I just bought mine a month ago and I’ve driven it a few times and absolutely love it. It reminds me of a bit of old school with some modern day touches. I love the the rat motor and the set up for the suspension and ride and at the same time I like the idea that it’s easy to take out and drive and have fun. I’ve owned a lot of 60s muscle cars which I enjoy as well but I have to say the Z is awesome!
Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:34 PM   #5
MRBZ28

Drives: 2014 Z28
I bought mine in June of 2014. It was the first one delivered in the area. There was no test driving allowed. The dealer called me when it arrived. I was in Australia and he told me he would put it in the Garage till I got home. I bought it and had to wait about a week due to the key fob issue. I don't regret buying it and I'm not concerned about the current value. It's a Bad ass car and only a few around. After almost 4 years I have 18,000 miles on it and it still gets a lot of attention when i'm driving it.
MRBZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:17 PM   #6
1970judge

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2007 HHR
I knew as soon as I read the specs. I didnt like the Camaro in any form, and for a diehard Camaro fan that was tough. I wanted an LS7, better handling, sticky tires, good aero, but I wanted all the stuff cut out of it. When the Z came about it was as if someone read my mind, down to the letter. I had 'almost' settle on a C6Z carbon and I dont even like Vettes, but it checked most of my boxes.

Basically, im young but I grew up on old school..so I wanted the closest thing possible to that. I dont need gadgets, I want a drivers car. I dont like blowers, I like NA. I was dead set the moment that car rolled across the stage. I could go back to my Camaro camp and be happy.

Yes I test drove one first, but I work at the proving grounds..so it was easy. The cars are rock solid, I had no qualms about buying one sight unseen and shipping to me across country. But, the market will work in your advantage, if you find one, the dealer will likely realize that they dont sell easily so at this point a test drive shoulnt be hard to get.

Edit: I lived in DFW for a few years, keep checking..LS cars a plenty in the area!
1970judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:24 PM   #7
JKiss45

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Saw this thing in person the other day. http://www.toybarncars.com/used/Chev...524466f7b1.htm Love driving through their car lot. I know they ship all over the country. No AC in DFW could be a killer though haha
JKiss45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:48 PM   #8
BUBZ28

Drives: '15 Z/28 #0270
I wanted a limited edition, factory prepared track oriented car. My Z/28 is my first car that I feel needs no mods, to me it's almost perfect. I was offered a test drive but I declined. Prior to seeing it at the dealer, I was 8 years without a sports car, 6 months watching the Z/28 market, watched all the vids more than once, read all reviews, I had my finances in order and was ready to buy. After hearing and seeing it in person, no way in hell am I leaving the dealer without buying it. I knew what I was getting into and that I was going to love it. No test drive necessary. And I was right!
BUBZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 12:36 AM   #9
Zslash28
Jumanji

Drives: '14 Z/28 - AGM - No A/C
No, I didnt test drive a Z/28, actually had only rented a 5th gen V6 drop top. I flew to Lubbock TX, and drove my Z/28 to NJ.
Just seeing the spec sheet, and I knew it was the "one". Its an anolog track car, old school with supercar stuff. I was looking at NSXs, GTRs, Z06/7, ZR1s, HellCats, Vipers, etc. What it came down to were these three things; rarity, specs, and being able to service the car myself. I really didnt want a car that required going to the dealer for anything.
No regrets on the market drop, I got the car I wanted, when I made my purchase. If the prices go any deeper, I will have to purchase a handful for future collectors to enjoy.
I track wrecked Z/28s Total lost -41
Zslash28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:56 AM   #10
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKiss45 View Post
Saw this thing in person the other day. http://www.toybarncars.com/used/Chev...524466f7b1.htm Love driving through their car lot. I know they ship all over the country. No AC in DFW could be a killer though haha
I bought my Z/28 from the Toy Barn late last Sept., I traded in my 14' SS vert for it. The car already had a stg 5 done on it from Vengeance Racing and only 591 mi. After the test drive I knew I had to have this beast with 680 hp.

I knew I wanted a Z/28 and would eventually want to mod it. So here was the car of my dreams already modded and priced where I thought I could never get one at. It was a no brainer for me. Have not regretted it one bit and when I take it out, all I want to do is keep driving it.

This car is AWESOME!!!
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.

Last edited by Smokin19; 05-09-2018 at 06:07 AM.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:51 AM   #11
JKiss45

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin15 View Post
I bought my Z/28 from the Toy Barn late last Sept.,
This car is AWESOME!!!
Yes, I remember posting the link to that one too! That Z was so clean and very very well priced. You got a great one.
I love the Toy Barn and will one day buy an exotic from them....one day.
JKiss45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:16 AM   #12
MrRaZ28
@MrRaZ28

Drives: 2014 Z28 #80
Former GM tech here. I've built several cars, did an LS swap on my 92 etc. etc., and when they announced the Z28, I was in love. Every single aspect appealed to me, but I thought I would never be able to afford one. Fast forward to October last year, and we bought ours. I've got almost 5k miles put on it now since then and Every. Single. Time. that I get in and start to move it's euphoric.

Found it down in Austin, got everything squared away over the course of 5 hours over the phone on a Wednesday. Drove down the following Saturday and picked it up. No test drive was done, nor is it needed.

I highly recommend coming out to the Open Track day at Eagles Canyon on the 26th this month. Probably too late to sign up yourself, but it's still really awesome watching. I have only had 1 car actually pass me around the track, and it was coming up on the last turn, on the last lap of the day. Modified C6 Z06. My tires were cooked at that point so I was scrubbing too much speed off of it.

Last edited by MrRaZ28; 05-09-2018 at 02:50 PM.
MrRaZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:54 AM   #13
cmancha003

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #1097
Thank you for all the responses. I have had quite a few cars for my age. Some of them I regret selling, others I regret buying (especially my current car). I have been toying with a C6 Z06, E92 M3 (supercharged- much like the one i had before), and a Z/28. I have had turbo'd cars, awd 4 bangers, high rev v8, incline 6, etc. I have never had a big, n/a v8. I have no doubt that the Z/28 is the mix of "old school" and modern (except for the electronic steering).
cmancha003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:46 PM   #14
rcandiloro

Drives: 2018 ZLE
The second the Z/28 was officially introduced to the world I immediately knew I had to have one. It's the small things about the way the car looks that just makes it so badass......primarily the aero bits all around, and the best looking stock wheels of any production car IMHO. Plus the idea of a normally aspirated LS7 out of the Z06 was the icing on the cake. I did drive the car before I bought it, but I already knew I wanted it. Now that I've had it about a year I just can't imagine anything replacing it. No doubt there are faster cars out there, but I don't think there is anything that can replicate the pure joy and raw driving experience the Z/28 provides. I LOVE analog cars, simplicity at its finest. Sure it has traction control (which you can totally disable if you want to), but the sweet sweet short throw shifter, the awesome exhaust note and the way it makes power is hard to describe......you just have to experience it. Truly a classic beast of a car......
rcandiloro is offline   Reply With Quote