Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 07-19-2018, 12:01 PM   #1
Frank-o

Drives: 2014
Third Brake Light Issue

Sometimes it works but most of the time it doesn't so I tried to change it and there's no way I can do it. I call the Chevy house and they want over $500 to change it out. They said the light itself is $100 but that it would take a half a day labor because they have to pull out the back seat, etc... All this for a simply light replacement???

So I contacted Chevy direct via their FB page and ask them why they didn't make a trap door for easy change out. All I get is the run around. Finally someone contacted me and said I should contact a local dealer. I told them I already had and they wanted way too much to do it.

I asked if the designers meant to do this to screw over the customers? They assured me that was not the case.

Then I asked, if they didn't mean to do it then are you telling me they were to dumb to figure this out ahead of time?

Has anyone else had this issue? What did you do? How much did it cost you?
Frank-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:56 PM   #2
Baldman
EMERALD COAST CAMAROS

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank-o View Post
Sometimes it works but most of the time it doesn't so I tried to change it and there's no way I can do it. I call the Chevy house and they want over $500 to change it out. They said the light itself is $100 but that it would take a half a day labor because they have to pull out the back seat, etc... All this for a simply light replacement???

So I contacted Chevy direct via their FB page and ask them why they didn't make a trap door for easy change out. All I get is the run around. Finally someone contacted me and said I should contact a local dealer. I told them I already had and they wanted way too much to do it.

I asked if the designers meant to do this to screw over the customers? They assured me that was not the case.

Then I asked, if they didn't mean to do it then are you telling me they were to dumb to figure this out ahead of time?

Has anyone else had this issue? What did you do? How much did it cost you?
Here's another thread from another website. He say's it's reasonable for it being $500. https://www.reddit.com/r/camaro/comm...48&sh=1a8abcec The rear speakers are a pain also to replace. They just didn't think this process thru when they designed it. If it bothers you that much take it to the dealer. I just saw that you had a 2014 I presume you bought it used. If bought new your warranty should cover it.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:30 PM   #3
Coz3z3

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2015 1LE
Isn't the third brake light on the trunk lid in 14-15? I know my 15 is.
Coz3z3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:54 PM   #4
Kopterman

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coz3z3 View Post
Isn't the third brake light on the trunk lid in 14-15? I know my 15 is.

I’m thinking he doesn’t have a 14. Only thinks he does...
Kopterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:14 PM   #5
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
Common issue. I did mine. It took 1 hour and 45 minutes. You have to remove the rear seats and all rear body panels!
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:15 PM   #6
Talladega

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
It is a known ball buster. Yes you have to remove all the interior from the front seats back. Literally everything to the structure. I have heard of people removing the back window but that doesn't seem any easier.
Talladega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:35 PM   #7
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Who really cares if the cyclops lights or not?
Old 07-19-2018, 09:49 PM   #8
seishuku

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Law requires 3rd brake light, and will fail safety inspection if it doesn't work...
seishuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:40 PM   #9
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by seishuku View Post
Law requires 3rd brake light, and will fail safety inspection if it doesn't work...

If someone tells you that they are mistaken. You need one working brake light on each side of the car. And they can double as a turn signal. Now, some LEOs might have an issue that if you have what appears to be a brake light, it should act like a brake light. But the law doesn't say you need a third brake light. No more than the law says you should have daytime running lights.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:36 AM   #10
Splat

Drives: 2012 1SS M6 IOM
About 2 years ago, my 3rd brake light went out as well, when I brought it back to the dealer and they replaced it free of charge....... they later told me that this was a $500.00 job if the warranty runs out.

The dealer ship told me that the whole plastic piece had to be replaced, due to it being an electrical issue.
Mods: LSA Supercharger, 2.55 Pulley, Custom Boost Cam, ARH LTH 1 7/8, HFC, 3' Magnaflow Exhaust, JLT CAI, Elite CC V2, BO White Stage 2 TB, GM 3.91 Gears, DSS CF Driveshaft, BMR Bushing Kit.... . Tuned by JTM Motorsports 540 Hp 550Tq on 9PSI

Axles, Monster Clutch, Hotchkis TVS Track Pack kit.......For 2018.
Splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:39 AM   #11
mr_honez
Wifey Lover

Drives: 2013 Crystal Red 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
If someone tells you that they are mistaken. You need one working brake light on each side of the car. And they can double as a turn signal. Now, some LEOs might have an issue that if you have what appears to be a brake light, it should act like a brake light. But the law doesn't say you need a third brake light. No more than the law says you should have daytime running lights.
WRONG. It is required by statute to be functional for public roadway use. If your vehicle came with one it has to work. Your vehicle must also have it to pass inspection. You can ask me how I know this.

OP, Mine went out and I just bought a ZL1 spoiler integrated in to the spoiler. It does take just about as long if not longer to install it since you also have to remove a ton of crap to get to the harness.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:31 AM   #12
DT10

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_honez View Post
WRONG. It is required by statute to be functional for public roadway use. If your vehicle came with one it has to work. Your vehicle must also have it to pass inspection. You can ask me how I know this.

OP, Mine went out and I just bought a ZL1 spoiler integrated in to the spoiler. It does take just about as long if not longer to install it since you also have to remove a ton of crap to get to the harness.
The third brake light is a Federal mandate implemented upon all car manufacturers for safety. Started in 1986 all cars being manufactured and sold in the US are required to have them. As far as your States Vehicle and Traffic Law goes, well that varies. Here both sides must work for the VTL, third brake light doesnt matter. As for the annual safety inspection, it has to work.
DT10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:57 AM   #13
Coleroad

Drives: 13 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
Who really cares if the cyclops lights or not?
We now know who doesn't care about safety. Your wellbeing must not mean much to you, but it does to the rest of us.
Coleroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:57 AM   #14
Talladega

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
A little off topic but somewhat relevant. What are the requirements for a third brake light? Mine went out and i just got the lighted bowtie and call that my third brake light. If anyone questioned it I figured I would just play dumb, but would the lighted bowtie qualify as the third brake light? If it does that's a cheaper option than a new one from Chevy even if you install it yourself the bowtie is cheaper than the factory light parts only.
Talladega is offline   Reply With Quote