Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-22-2019, 10:40 AM   #1
frey.199

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
1SS or 2SS

Hi, I'm new here and I'm kind of confused on this 2010 camaro ss I'm about to purchase. One ad says 2SS and the other says SS for the same car. From my research, only the 2SS has leather seats (which it looks like it does) and has color display with the cluster of different gauges just below the radio, oil temp, etc, as well as boston premium sound system. I looked at the carfax and they have it labeled as SS on their rather than 2SS, but it seems like the vehicle has all 2SS equipment.

So I guess I'm trying to figure out, is this car a 1SS or 2SS?!?!
frey.199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:49 AM   #2
KenKat

Drives: 2014 2LT RS Summit White
Based on all you describe, it is a 2SS. Both a 1SS and a 2SS are Camaro SS’s, just different trim levels.
KenKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:08 AM   #3
frey.199

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Thanks Ken, that's what I was thinking as well. Odd that it's labeled differently even on the VIN report though.
frey.199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:48 PM   #4
JoelNR
King of the Lurkers

Drives: 2010 SS/RS (Victory Red)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frey.199 View Post
Thanks Ken, that's what I was thinking as well. Odd that it's labeled differently even on the VIN report though.

That shouldn't be an issue. Think of it like this, the Camaro is the model, the SS is the trim and the 1SS/2SS is the options package.

Here's another one you can also look for, if it has halo headlights, body colored roof trim, slightly tinted wheel paint and red SS badges then it has the RS options package regardless of whether it's a 1SS or 2SS.

It might seem confusing at first but once you spend enough time around these things you can tell at a glance what options they have.

The go:
ESS supercharger kit, Speed Engineering headers, NGK TR6IX plugs, ZR1 MAP sensor, DSS driveshaft, BMR trailing arms & toe rods.
610 HP/556 TQ. Tuned by Ryan at KC Maxx Performance.

The less important bits:
MRR 228s, SLP front lip, ZL1 grille (no bowtie), Z28 spoiler with ZL1 Addons wickerbill, RPID tow hook, Sparks Restoration SS trunk emblem, ZL1 rear & Phastek front rock guards.
JoelNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 01:07 PM   #5
PepeLePew

Drives: 2010 2SS Coupe; 2011 2LT Vert
Do you have the extra gauge cluster in from of your shifter? I think that was standard on the 2SS. I am not sure if it was an option on the 1SS but I've never seen a 1SS with the cluster.
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 01:34 PM   #6
Benman

Drives: 13 IOM 2ss RS manual
A definite way to tell is to look in the trunk at the RPO tag, it will have either a 1SS or a 2SS in the ninth row from the top, and 7th column from the left. It does sound like you have a 2SS on your hands.
As a side note if it has WRS as the option code at the end of the 8th row then it is a RS option package.
Benman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 01:40 PM   #7
PepeLePew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benman View Post
A definite way to tell is to look in the trunk at the RPO tag, it will have either a 1SS or a 2SS in the ninth row from the top, and 7th column from the left. It does sound like you have a 2SS on your hands.
As a side note if it has WRS as the option code at the end of the 8th row then it is a RS option package.
Now I’m curious... where in the trunk is the RPO tag? Thanks for sharing
Old 04-22-2019, 01:46 PM   #8
PepeLePew

Benman thanks I found it on the left side under the carpet. Great info!!!
Old 04-23-2019, 01:11 PM   #9
LuSINda

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
If you go look at the car lift the trunk carpet on the driver side and locate the plate with the RPO codes on it. Near the bottom right of the plate it should say 2SS.

Lusinda
2010 2SS/RS
LuSINda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 03:19 PM   #10
mbesman
Great White

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
Hopefully they gave you the 1SS price
Old 04-23-2019, 04:34 PM   #11
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelNR View Post
That shouldn't be an issue. Think of it like this, the Camaro is the model, the SS is the trim and the 1SS/2SS is the options package.

Here's another one you can also look for, if it has halo headlights, body colored roof trim, slightly tinted wheel paint and red SS badges then it has the RS options package regardless of whether it's a 1SS or 2SS.

It might seem confusing at first but once you spend enough time around these things you can tell at a glance what options they have.
SS is not "trim". It's the car with a V8. Are those two extra cylinders "trim"?
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 04:50 PM   #12
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Good luck with your purchase. As others have said, with the leather trim it sounds like you are looking at a 2SS. The other indicators are 4 gauge pack in center console under the radio, ambient lighting in the door panels, heated outside mirrors, heated seats, and garage door opener (right by the overhead/map light). Let's see some pictures of this car, otherwise it's not real!
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:33 AM   #13
JoelNR
King of the Lurkers

Drives: 2010 SS/RS (Victory Red)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
SS is not "trim". It's the car with a V8. Are those two extra cylinders "trim"?
Easy guy. If you get a base Civic you get one engine and if you get an Si trim you get another.

If you get an LT Camaro vs an SS you've stepped up the trim level and get a different engine to go with it.

The model of vehicle does not change in either example, just the standard hardware.

The go:
ESS supercharger kit, Speed Engineering headers, NGK TR6IX plugs, ZR1 MAP sensor, DSS driveshaft, BMR trailing arms & toe rods.
610 HP/556 TQ. Tuned by Ryan at KC Maxx Performance.

The less important bits:
MRR 228s, SLP front lip, ZL1 grille (no bowtie), Z28 spoiler with ZL1 Addons wickerbill, RPID tow hook, Sparks Restoration SS trunk emblem, ZL1 rear & Phastek front rock guards.
JoelNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 12:14 PM   #14
mikeinmobile

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelNR View Post
Easy guy. If you get a base Civic you get one engine and if you get an Si trim you get another.

If you get an LT Camaro vs an SS you've stepped up the trim level and get a different engine to go with it.

The model of vehicle does not change in either example, just the standard hardware.
This is correct. While all late model SS Camaros have V-8s, Chevy made and sold SS's W/6cylinders back in the day. The SS was a cooler trim package (rims, gauges, badges etc) and what engine you chose was irrelevant.