Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: What’s your opinion about an Electric Camaro
I’d order mine right away! 4 5.63%
I’d be interested, but wait and see before forming a solid opinion. 21 29.58%
I like the idea, but would never own one. 5 7.04%
I’m not interested whatsoever. 20 28.17%
I think they should kill the idea at the drawing board. 21 29.58%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-15-2019, 12:27 PM   #1
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
The future is near. An Electric Camaro.

I know this has been somewhat discussed. What’s the consensus?

Using the Tesla Model S as a templet WITH THE ONLY EXCEPTION OF

Starting prices...

Long Range price at $55,000

Performance price $79,000

https://www.tesla.com/models/design#battery

What’s your opinion?

Last edited by SquawkVFR; 08-15-2019 at 04:12 PM.
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 12:38 PM   #2
Benman

Drives: 13 IOM 2ss RS manual
My step son bought one of the last single motor model S's that were built. We live in Texas so the heat is extreme in the summer and having to run the AC severely reduces his range, and when it gets cold he experiences the same or worse reduction in range from needing the heater. It is a very nice car, but for the $70+K he paid he will need to keep the car for something like 35 years to get back to even money compared to driving a conventional car. This does not include the cost of replacing the batteries, which are expected to need replacement at some where around 10 years. Another cost he is dealing with is having to put rear tires on the car every 10-12K miles, some of it is due to the weight of the car, and the fact that the instant torque when taking off just kills the tires. For me this technology may 1 day be economically feasible, but I don't see it happening in the near future.
Old 08-15-2019, 12:51 PM   #3
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benman View Post
My step son bought one of the last single motor model S's that were built. We live in Texas so the heat is extreme in the summer and having to run the AC severely reduces his range, and when it gets cold he experiences the same or worse reduction in range from needing the heater. It is a very nice car, but for the $70+K he paid he will need to keep the car for something like 35 years to get back to even money compared to driving a conventional car. This does not include the cost of replacing the batteries, which are expected to need replacement at some where around 10 years. Another cost he is dealing with is having to put rear tires on the car every 10-12K miles, some of it is due to the weight of the car, and the fact that the instant torque when taking off just kills the tires. For me this technology may 1 day be economically feasible, but I don't see it happening in the near future.
It won’t be ideal for some time yet. But environmentalists also drive sports cars. So I’m thinking there will be a market before to long regardless the facts you just mentioned. You know people hear electric car and two things happen, 1. I’m saving the planet and 2. I’m getting to 60 in 1.8 seconds. It’s a perfect opportunity.
Old 08-15-2019, 12:55 PM   #4
Xmetal

Drives: 2014 LS RIP
Considering there's already an electric COPO Camaro for 2020, the time is much closer than we want to admit that it is. Whether we like it or not, GM is going to ram it down our throats! The conversations that usually go 6.2 NA or supercharged are going to be how many turn motor you running! Its the sad truth.
Xmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 01:04 PM   #5
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Btw personally I’d buy one immediately because it wouldn’t be a DD.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:19 PM   #6
Trickskier
Native Floridian

Drives: 2014 - ZL1 / 2003 - Corvette
V8 There is no SUBSTITUTE!
Old 08-15-2019, 03:15 PM   #7
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
I don’t care if they make a 1st gen body and make it all electric. It’s not a Camaro! Electric and Camaro don’t belong in the same sentence. There’s nothing muscle about an electric car no matter if it goes 0-60mph in half a second.

Chevrolet WILL create an electric sports car. It should NOT be called a Camaro.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 03:26 PM   #8
G8One2

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
Power companies cant even keep the lights on when we have extreme temperatures. What happens when there's millions of cars plugged in? Our infrastructure just isn't there. But that's beside the point. There's NOTHING muscular about an electric engine. No throaty exhaust, no choppy idle, no high revving RPM. Pretty much boring if you ask me.
G8One2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 03:58 PM   #9
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
I don’t care if they make a 1st gen body and make it all electric. It’s not a Camaro! Electric and Camaro don’t belong in the same sentence. There’s nothing muscle about an electric car no matter if it goes 0-60mph in half a second.

Chevrolet WILL create an electric sports car. It should NOT be called a Camaro.
...good point...
Old 08-15-2019, 04:07 PM   #10
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8One2 View Post
Power companies cant even keep the lights on when we have extreme temperatures. What happens when there's millions of cars plugged in? Our infrastructure just isn't there. But that's beside the point. There's NOTHING muscular about an electric engine. No throaty exhaust, no choppy idle, no high revving RPM. Pretty much boring if you ask me.
Couldn’t have said it better my self
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 04:09 PM   #11
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkVFR View Post
...good point...
from what i understand the C8 is engineered to run an electric motor at some point.this could get interesting,especially being mid engined.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 04:09 PM   #12
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

...I’ll add this. I agree wholeheartedly with everyone about engines. I have a beast myself and ain’t looking to rid myself of it at all. But if you’ve never taken a ride in a Model S in Ludicrous Mode, I hope you get a chance to do so. It might sway your outlook on performance vehicles. Damn the dollars and sense, most of us aren’t conscious of that anyway with gasoline engines. Lol
Old 08-15-2019, 04:58 PM   #13
Black 6.2L SS

Drives: 2014 1SS/RS, LS3, NPP
Electric cars, electric R/C cars......so BORING! They’re fast alright but boring and lack the passion. The hypercars (LaFerrari, Porsche 918, and McClaren P1) all integrate combustion engines with the supplemental electric motors and obviously retain the passion, feel and sound. But until that trickles down to lesser cars.....yawn.

It will be interesting to see where this goes and how they eventually present it to the enthusiasts.
Black 6.2L SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 05:14 PM   #14
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Chevy wants to build electric cars, great, just don't model or name them after the Camaro or Corvette .. simple.