Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-10-2019, 01:18 PM   #1
IlikeMyCamaro

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Paint Chip Correction

Hi all!

First real post after lurking for so long. I just wanted to share something I'm pretty happy with after reading so many threads and watching so many videos on how to do a touch up job. It isn't "perfect" by any means but I think it is wayyyy better than how it was before and I was extremely nervous because of all the caution and warning everyone said, especially with clearcoat (or lack thereof).

I have no clue how to format the post but the 4 images just show one of the 4 chips I fixed up (planning do to a few more now I have some experience) with the chip, then how it looked after filling it up several layers and letting it dry for a day. Then using 2000 grit sandpaper I carefully wet sanded (hole punch on pencil eraser) then I used Mezerna 400 to get rid of the stronger scuffing then Meguiars UP to finish up then I waxed over it for now.

Cheers.
Attached Images

IlikeMyCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 03:57 PM   #2
MattMDR

Drives: 2014 2LS RRM
WOW It looks great.
MattMDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 04:02 PM   #3
EJSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Wow. Great job, I recently ordered paint and fine tip brushes and have been meaning to touch some spots up. I have actually seen videos of people using the hole punch / pencil eraser method but I never really considered doing it but looking at your results, I am definately going to do what you did.
EJSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:41 PM   #4
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
Very well done.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:57 PM   #5
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Thanks for sharing I have a few that need attention, where did you get your touch up paint from?
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.

Last edited by Aqua Blue RS/SS; 10-10-2019 at 10:40 PM.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:03 PM   #6
witenite

Drives: 2010 2SS non RS
Nice job!
Old 10-10-2019, 09:16 PM   #7
15RS2NV
Ponies are for girls

Drives: 2015 RS LFX Red Hot A6
Great job! The easiest way to apply the new paint for those spots is with a syringe. You can get them at Walgreen's. Just ask for a diabetic needle.
H&R 1.8/1.7” drop, Overkill 80mm + intake ported by AFS, 1" insulator MACE, Accel Super Coils, THR cai, JET MAF sensor, Hurst shifter handle, GPP strut tower brace, CI ice cube tray hood vents (functional) @SemperFiCamaro
15RS2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:06 PM   #8
EJSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Did you use clear coat at all? Some people attempt to apply clear coat after, and some mix the clear with the colored paint in order to get the glossy look.
EJSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:35 PM   #9
Red Jewel RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Nice job! I have several to fix as well. Did you use the GM paint that comes in a pen type?
Red Jewel RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 03:07 AM   #10
IlikeMyCamaro

I got the paint off Ebay! WA502 I just used the little applicator (after ripping off the cotton end) so its a plastic nub to carefully dab some paint in.

I didn't use clear coat actually, because after sanding/polishing I let it set for a bit then I sealed and waxed on top. I know there are some videos that 50/50 clear coat and paint but I also read about how sometimes the clear coat messes with the paint finish and because its a tri-colour IOM, I decided it wasn't worth risking (for me).

I've already done a two bucket wash 3-4 days after and everything is holding up great so far!
Old 10-13-2019, 03:09 AM   #11
IlikeMyCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJSS View Post
Wow. Great job, I recently ordered paint and fine tip brushes and have been meaning to touch some spots up. I have actually seen videos of people using the hole punch / pencil eraser method but I never really considered doing it but looking at your results, I am definately going to do what you did.
For the smaller chips I used it, just to minimize the scuffing to the surrounding clear coat. Some bigger chips that I filled with a bit more paint, I just used a smaller folded rectangle of sandpaper. The hole punch/eraser method is great but for larger ones, I found myself reglueing sandpaper punches every minute and it killed me