Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-20-2020, 11:29 AM   #1
Bigdumogre

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Which exhaust

I’m really torn between the solo performance Mach xl cat back exhaust vs Flowmaster American thunder cat back. Will be putting on Texas speed 1 7/8 long tubes with high flow cats at the same time. I’m a fan of Flowmaster sound but it’s my daily driver and don’t want a heavy drone while cruising. Does anyone have experience with either of these and which do they prefer ?

Side note my car has 75k miles and was wondering if I should replace all 4 O2 sensors while everything is coming out?
Bigdumogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 02:36 PM   #2
davidscamaro

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6 BIG cam
I like my flowmaster outlaw catback
Old 01-20-2020, 04:05 PM   #3
Bigdumogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidscamaro View Post
I like my flowmaster outlaw catback
I’ve always had Flowmaster son all my cars and always enjoyed them
Gonna be a tough decision
Old 01-20-2020, 05:24 PM   #4
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Solo FTW!!!!

Exhaust clip pre cam

Warm idle with cam

Cold start with cam

I've only had some drone after the cam install and I've all but tuned it out with adjustment of the J pipes. The exhaust is freaking awesome IMO. You can ride around without having your teeth rattled out of your head with drone even with long tube headers and a cam. I cruise on the highway with my radio at 6-8 volume level depending on the station and can hold a conversation at normal volume level. Then when you get on it the thing freaking screams! Funny enough I actually convinced a former neighbor to sell his Lancer EVO and get a V8 car because we lined up on the highway and I dropped the hammer so he could hear the car sing.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread

Last edited by pyroguy; 01-20-2020 at 07:33 PM.
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 05:46 PM   #5
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
A friend had the American thunder. With just shortys and hiflows it droned like hell. Solo Machxl is a good way to go. I have the magnaflow 3” competition catback and had a tiny amount of drone that custom j pipes fixed.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 06:01 PM   #6
Bigdumogre

Thanks for the comments so far. Still looking for more peoples opinions
Old 01-20-2020, 09:21 PM   #7
SuperChuck

Drives: 2013 1SS BlueRay Metallic
I don't know about either really. But I do have the Flows super 10's and pretty pleased. Just looking at something else this year though. Thinking Borla ATTAK or a Magnaflow
SuperChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 09:30 PM   #8
xXSharkfhinXx

Drives: 2015 2SS RS
i have a JBA cat back exhaust system on mine and it has a good base deep sound, what they dont tell u is the stock pipes are smaller and fit just right down there and when u put a 3 inch catback system under there ,your pipes are bigger and can bounce slightly up against the heat insulators(flat tin looking stuff) that protect the body of the car from getting hot from the pipes... every dam time you hit lines on the road or bumps there is an annoying tapping sound coming from underneath your seats...i had to get my muffler guy to tac weld a brace from the pipe(looks better than it sounds) to keep it from hitting the body and use a rubber gasket where the bolt ran to stop the pipes from making noises where the weld is against the body of the car and the rubber gasket between the body and bolt holding the weld in place to absorb the drone.....this shit actually worked lol...should have taken a picture of it...however jba is priced good especially if you look on ebay they sell jba competition cat backs for a very cheap price....
Old 01-21-2020, 08:12 AM   #9
oldman14ss

Drives: 2014 1ss camaro
ARH, hi flo cats xpipe, solo j pipes at the end . amazing, simply amazing. sick of cruising drone from other projects. when you let er rip it SCREAMS cruising its fantastic.
oldman14ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 09:30 AM   #10
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
I have the Flowmaster 409-S Thunder on my 2011 1SS/RS. With Kooks 1 7/8 ceramic longtube headers high flow cats.
Attached Images