Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-19-2009, 09:29 PM   #1
55Designs

Drives: 2010
Need feedback before I do headers regarding sound levels w SOLO Mach X.

I have the SOlo Mach system and it sounds awesome and I am happy with it. For the most part its just a straight pipe system with a tiny muffler/xpipe up front.

I want to do headers for power not for sound. I realize I need to do catted headers as a result.

Looking into Stainless Works or American Racing.

Issue is I use the car alot and I dont want to make it too loud where the police and everyone thinks Im a dick reving up and disturbing the peace.

I only found one sound clip with Kooks headers on here with the Solo exhaust and it wasnt the best sound byte to use for a comparison.

Should I ditch the Solo for a muffler type system to do the headers?

How can i keep the sound level I have now yet gain the HP from headers?
55Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 04:29 PM   #2
1stGM

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS M6
i guess it depends how loud you can live with. I have the SOLO Mack exhaust on my L99 wiht Kooks Headers and cats. It is just a bit too loud for my tastes. The tone is great, but the decibel level may be a bit much. I do not drive the car everyday, so I know if it was a daily driver, it would not fly.

The nice thing is the decibel level comes without the drone/resonance. So that is a plus. I think what I may do is add mufflers to the back of the Mach system. I talked with Steve from SOLO about the noise level before I purchased and he said if it was a problem with the headers, that I could add SOLOs "Quantam" mufflers to the back(stock location) to quiet things down. I have not talked with Steve since doing the install about adding the Quantams, but I cant imagine it being a lot of $. You also could add any mufflers of your choice, if you didn't want to go the Quantam route. Either way, you will still be ahead of the game $ wise compared to the other catbacks....
1stGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 04:46 PM   #3
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
Come up and hear mine...the car's off the road for the winter, but I'll let you hear it at least.

I have the Solo axle back, it's not obnoxiously loud. The cat-back should be similar, if not a little more quiet. I have AR headers w/ cats.

Send me a PM if you want.