Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 04-20-2020, 05:44 PM   #1
RaycinSS

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28
Factory exhaust manifold project/ Porting and clean up with pics

With Covid- 19 and stay at home in full play I seem to have way more time than money right now. To keep myself entertained Z/28 style I thought I'd take on a little project just for kicks and with a little luck hopefully I found a cheap pony or two.

I am about to put some TSP CNC ported heads and a TSP stage 2.2 cam in my car. Future plans are to add some American Racing long tube headers to take full advantage of those mods but current situation means the headers will have to wait.

Since I have my factory manifolds off the car right now I thought I'd do a little CNC (Covid Nineteen Controlled) porting of my own and see if I could make the most of what I have now.

I've seen a few questions concerning the factory tri-Y manifolds and thought I'd share my project and findings here.

I fully realize there's gonna be a few folks say that I'm completely wasting my time and there's not a single pony's worth of difference in what I'm doing and I welcome the spirited debate. I believe I haven't hurt anything and may see some small benefit because ultimately it's about making the air pump more efficient.

I'm going to have to do this in several post but it's a start.

Here's an inside look of one of the factory LS7 exhaust manifolds off of my 2015 Z/28
Attached Images

RaycinSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 06:06 PM   #2
RaycinSS

There are some areas I have pointed out here that are darker from the exhaust that create a ridge and narrow the opening. Not by much but easily 1/8" to almost 1/4" in some areas and the entire circumference of the port.

This is a ridge that seems to impede flow and bottle neck the exhaust right where it comes out of the cylinder head. Just an eyeball guesstimate I believe it could be easily between a 5 and 15 percent blockage.

I'm removing this blockage as best I can and also getting inside and trying to open it up just a little and straighten some of the curves.
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2020, 06:13 PM   #3
RaycinSS

Here's a couple of pictures with some of the ridge removed, opened up a little bit and some work to smooth and straighten as best I could with an air compressor and die grinder. It's not major in the whole scheme of things but I do believe it will make a slight difference and flow better than before.

Let the comments begin!
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2020, 06:39 PM   #4
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaycinSS View Post
Here's a couple of pictures with some of the ridge removed, opened up a little bit and some work to smooth and straighten as best I could with an air compressor and die grinder. It's not major in the whole scheme of things but I do believe it will make a slight difference and flow better than before.

Let the comments begin!
Looks good. How where the bolts to remove, any troubles. Are you putting stock bolts back in or?
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 08:12 PM   #5
RaycinSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIM GhostrdrZ View Post
Looks good. How where the bolts to remove, any troubles. Are you putting stock bolts back in or?
For now the stock bolts will be reused. I didn't take the manifolds off so I can't comment on how difficult the bolts were to take off. Hopefully someone who has done it will comment. I can also let you know when I do take them off myself to install headers in the near future. I am considering changing to aftermarket bolts at that time and welcome feedback about it.
Old 04-20-2020, 11:40 PM   #6
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
All your work can’t hurt that’s for sure.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 12:22 PM   #7
VOIT

Drives: Z/28
BRAVO!
Blueprint/port matching your exhaust manifolds in quest to find free HP.
VOIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 12:38 PM   #8
pat_t

Drives: .
Great work. I think you'll definitely see an improvement!
pat_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 05:25 PM   #9
joelster

Drives: '94 Z28+ '15 Z/28
Won't pick up much at all. Maybe 1-2hp, and that could be dyno error from run to run. The restriction is the catalytic converters, not the manifolds. If you could fab up an off-road pipe the bolted to the back of the manifold to the factory catback you'd pick up 15+ hp, which is what you'd get by going to aftermarket long tubes without cats.
1979 Y84 Trans Am
1986 IROC-Z
joelster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 08:21 PM   #10
Yessa
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelster View Post
The restriction is the catalytic converters not the manifolds. If you could fab up an off-road pipe the bolted to the back of the manifold to the factory cat back you'd pick up 15+ hp, which is what you'd get by going to aftermarket long tubes without cats.
Yes. But the horrid smell of gasoline is a huge turnoff not to mention it's arguably bad for your health like in your garage upon start up.
Yessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 10:07 PM   #11
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yessa View Post
Yes. But the horrid smell of gasoline is a huge turnoff not to mention it's arguably bad for your health like in your garage upon start up.
Try a W-31 spec cam (not a lot of lift but plenty of duration and 82 degrees of overlap). Pair that up with a rich running Holley 3310 carb and it will set off the CO detectors in your neighbors house. I love the smell of hydrocarbons in the morning. Smells like...VICTORY.
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2020, 04:51 AM   #12
DasBaldDog

Drives: 2017 Focus RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
Try a W-31 spec cam (not a lot of lift but plenty of duration and 82 degrees of overlap). Pair that up with a rich running Holley 3310 carb and it will set off the CO detectors in your neighbors house. I love the smell of hydrocarbons in the morning. Smells like...VICTORY.
I had a '72 442 clone painted in a Chrysler Gray with a dark gray center stripe.

Bought it as a non-runner because the guy reused his 350 starter and warped airhorn Quadrajet.

Replace the starter and carb and boom, fired right up.
DasBaldDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 09:59 AM   #13
macalot

Drives: 1969 Z/28 + 2015 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
Reminds me of the time a some years ago I was sitting in my '69 Z/28 (with the off road race cam in the 302) at a redlight just thumping away. A Prius pulls up behind me real close as she was bz with her phone. As soon as she gets a whiff of my exhaust she tries to back up but is jammed by another car. She was really upset to say the least...hand/face gestures and all. I gave her a good shot before I pulled out to let her know I was glad she was driving a Prius so I could have more gasoline to burn in the Z! Most youngsters it seems don't give a crap about their driving skills or much else for that matter, unless it infringes upon their narrow views.

Oh, we port matched the original intake to the heads on the '69 way back when. It made all the difference in the world. Of course back then things were factory assembled without any real concerns to air flow.