Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-25-2009, 11:52 PM   #1
se7en

Drives: 10 Procharged SS
Wanting to Install my ARH... any advise?

Ive never installed headers myself, but i know my way around an engine faily well. I was wanting to install my ARH (1 7/8 longtubes with high flow cats and x-pipe) this weekend and im wondering how hard it really is. Has anyone installed them themselves yet?

I have an L99 with a Corsa Cat-Back already installed. I also just installed my Pipeline Cold Air Intake today and cant wait to get the tune for everything.

Anyways any tips would be very helpful?

Would i have to do any cutting or welding because of my Corsa Cat-Back? (2.5 inch hook up)

Thanks guys
10 Camaro: Built 376, LSA Heads, BTR valve train and Stage III Camshaft. F1A 12 Rib-3.75 pulley (17psi), Squash Dual Fuel System with Return (Dual Walbro 450LPH on a Hobbs Switch), Aeromotive regulator, Holley Fuel Rails, ID1300's. RMVB 4L80, 4K Stall, and Trans-brake. 9" IRS, 3.50 gears with a full spool
se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 01:20 AM   #2
sav1

Drives: 2009 Corvette Z06
I just dropped in a pair of Stainless Works headers.. No welding.. but. you should have ramps and some jack stands.. you need about 2 ft clearance to bring the headers up through the bottom of car.. ALSO you NEEED a second person when doing this so you don't crack any spark plugs. i used rtv sealer on the gaskets ( as the directions instructed), but if i did it again.. id just buy new gaskets.

"What Do I Feel When I Kill A Terrorist? A Little Recoil"
sav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 03:12 PM   #3
flyby

Drives: 2010 Silver SS
I would remove all spark plugs before install. besides that it should be straightforward
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 03:27 PM   #4
se7en

Thanks guys.... starting on it now. I have a shop with a lift to use so i hope its easy.

My ARH came with new manifold gaskets so i will use them. Also im gonna use some anti-seeze on my bolts.

Hope it all works out. I'll come back to take a break and check this forum to see if anyone has anymore advise.

Thanks again!!!
10 Camaro: Built 376, LSA Heads, BTR valve train and Stage III Camshaft. F1A 12 Rib-3.75 pulley (17psi), Squash Dual Fuel System with Return (Dual Walbro 450LPH on a Hobbs Switch), Aeromotive regulator, Holley Fuel Rails, ID1300's. RMVB 4L80, 4K Stall, and Trans-brake. 9" IRS, 3.50 gears with a full spool
Old 12-26-2009, 03:32 PM   #5
BLK2SS

Drives: Black 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bws_82 View Post
Thanks guys.... starting on it now. I have a shop with a lift to use so i hope its easy.

My ARH came with new manifold gaskets so i will use them. Also im gonna use some anti-seeze on my bolts.

Hope it all works out. I'll come back to take a break and check this forum to see if anyone has anymore advise.

Thanks again!!!

Your best bet is to reuse the factory MLS gaskets (no RTV needed). The anti-seize is a must IMO when dealing with stainless and aluminum. Other than that, this car is the easiest I've ever installed headers on.
BLK2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:08 AM   #6
2010SSRS

Drives: 2000 Silverado
Quote:
Ive never installed headers myself, but i know my way around an engine faily well. I was wanting to install my ARH (1 7/8 longtubes with high flow cats and x-pipe) this weekend and im wondering how hard it really is. Has anyone installed them themselves yet?

I have an L99 with a Corsa Cat-Back already installed. I also just installed my Pipeline Cold Air Intake today and cant wait to get the tune for everything.

Anyways any tips would be very helpful?

Would i have to do any cutting or welding because of my Corsa Cat-Back? (2.5 inch hook up)

Thanks guys
you spent $400+ too much if you bought the x-pipe optioned ARH system. the x-pipe allows you to only install an AXEL BACK exhaust. you only needed the headers and cats if you already had a Corsa CAT BACK exhaust.

shoulda bolted right up!

VR 2SSRS LS3 - Borla, SLP CAI
2010SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:56 AM   #7
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Can't wait to hear it, that is the same system I was thinking for my Camaro.
2010 SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:05 AM   #8
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK2SS View Post
Your best bet is to reuse the factory MLS gaskets (no RTV needed). The anti-seize is a must IMO when dealing with stainless and aluminum. Other than that, this car is the easiest I've ever installed headers on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRS View Post
you spent $400+ too much if you bought the x-pipe optioned ARH system. the x-pipe allows you to only install an AXEL BACK exhaust. you only needed the headers and cats if you already had a Corsa CAT BACK exhaust.

shoulda bolted right up!
keep your Corsa section
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SSRS View Post
Me Too...
Old 12-29-2009, 11:07 AM   #9
full of days

Drives: Camaro GT
Yeah, Mind the Spark Plugs!!
full of days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:21 PM   #10
se7en

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRS View Post

shoulda bolted right up!

Yeah i realize that now... the only good thing about it is that the entire system is very loud now, which is exactly what i was looking for. I plan on putting on a Cam and i can use the resonators from my cat-back to quiet it down a bit so im not getting pulled over all the time for noise complaints (since i like to constantly give it hell). Because right now this thing is screaming!!!!! (and i love every minute of it)

Thanks for rubbing it in though!! Just kidding
Old 12-29-2009, 07:26 PM   #11
se7en

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SSRS View Post
Im blown away by the difference. I think these cars cam out slower than what i had hoped for, but the headers awakened the vehicle!

I had a chance to hear and feel the difference by installing my Corsa Cat-back on first. I was a bit dissapointed with the sound, but after combining it with the ARH....... im speechless!!! I almost went with kooks (which are very good and more cost effective, but you get what you pay for) and glad that i didnt. I love these headers and they were so easy to install.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:48 PM   #12
petman
Proud IBM Owner

Drives: 2010 1SS-RS
bws_82, good to hear all your nice comments, and I want loud also, I live in the country so no neighbors to bother, just sounds fun HUH? ARH for me then, and you said easy to install right, You didn't have to lower or move and steering linkage right?

My Baby, 1SS/RS Auto
petman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:53 PM   #13
BLK2SS

Drives: Black 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by petman View Post
bws_82, good to hear all your nice comments, and I want loud also, I live in the country so no neighbors to bother, just sounds fun HUH? ARH for me then, and you said easy to install right, You didn't have to lower or move and steering linkage right?

Nothing wrong with the Kooks either. Both headers are 304 stainless. I had my Kooks ceramic coated to help with the heat. Here is what the Kooks, no cats, and Borla catback sound like with a cam.

BLK2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:39 PM   #14
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Yeah i realize that now... the only good thing about it is that the entire system is very loud now, which is exactly what i was looking for. I plan on putting on a Cam and i can use the resonators from my cat-back to quiet it down a bit so im not getting pulled over all the time for noise complaints (since i like to constantly give it hell). Because right now this thing is screaming!!!!! (and i love every minute of it)

Thanks for rubbing it in though!! Just kidding
Cool so you used the ARH x-pipe. How bout some Videos w/ sound...

I plan on leaving the Corsa resonator so it's not quite that loud... should be just right.