Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 12-28-2020, 06:47 AM   #1
CAMVROOM

Drives: CAMARO 2014
Question on 1st time transmission oil change?

I just want to make sure I getting the correct information. For a full flush of the automatic transmission oil, you need 10 qt? and just for the change (including pan removal), you need ~6 qt?

I know OEM ATF is dexron VI. What is your opinion on using Mobil 1 ATF that has dexron + mercon.

my car info: ~76k mileage (I have seen people says by the books it should be change @ 100k but some people change around 75k if heavy use).

thanks, J.
CAMVROOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 09:19 AM   #2
Camaro__ss

Drives: 2013 L99
I used 3 gal. This is what I did. Drop the pan, clean the magnet and change the filter. Replace pan and torque bolts. Install Jenetty dip stick. Fill pan (about 6 qts as I recall). Disconnect trans cooler line at radiator and connect a clear hose to the cooler line, place in drain bucket. Start engine, the transmission pump will pump out 2 quarts oil in about 15 seconds. Turn it off, add oil, repeat until oil is pink. Top it off. Warm the transmission up and check the level when car is hot. This method just replaces oil as it cycled through the torque converter.
Camaro__ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 10:18 PM   #3
CAMVROOM

Drives: CAMARO 2014
thanks Camaro_ss for your response.

I would love to install a Jannetty dipstick but my car is v6. If I am correct, it made for the ss v8 unless someone can confirm the attachment point that it is the same for v8 and v6? I have not seen any info for trans dipstick for a v6?

How accurate is the trans dipstick measurement of how full the trans pan? is it off like 5-10%?
CAMVROOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 02:35 PM   #4
Camaro__ss

Drives: 2013 L99
I don’t know anything about the v-6 set ups, sorry.
Camaro__ss is offline   Reply With Quote