Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-15-2021, 12:21 AM   #1
Ruger2506

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT
Does everyone mod all the way?

After reading and looking and learning and driving I'm curious about all the beautiful cars I see on the road and in pictures.

Are there many of us who mod the cars to perform but don't spend a ton of time or money on the cosmetics? My car is a DD. It doesn't see the inside of the garage during the driving season (may-oct 1) unless there is a hail storm coming. It is never as shiny and pretty as it deserves to be.

I'm planning a stage 1.5 overkill procharger for the car. However I've all but given up on cosmetic modifications. It almost seems to me to be fun to make my car a "sleeper". Of course I could just be justifying not spending time and money to make and keep my car pretty and shiny.
2012 Camaro 2LT Manual Transmission. -JacFab Ported Intake Manifold -JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer -Overkill 80mm Throttle Body -CAI cold air intake -Overkill E85 Kit -Catch Can -Magnaflow Cat-Back exhaust system -Overkill E85 Tune

Last edited by Ruger2506; 06-15-2021 at 07:53 PM.
Ruger2506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 12:40 AM   #2
BatmaroBeauty
BOOST OR BUST

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT
Definitely keep us posted on that 1.5 Overkill Procharger… myself and another member Swindle3234 have been discussing Will’s kits in the Best FI setup for the LLT? thread. There’s been radio silence on here for that new PC Kit. Mine is a DD as well and cosmetics were actually the first mods I focused on and performance came last. Really all depends on what you envision for your own personal build! That’s what’s so great about the car community IMO everyone gets to express themselves through their cars. People have different preferences and while I may not agree with someone else’s choices, I can still support them if that’s what makes them happy because ultimately they’re the ones driving the car and living with it, not me… Never understood why people bash builds just because its something different than they would do, who cares!? You didn’t pay for it so let them enjoy it! So if a sleeper car is what would bring you the most joy then I say do it!!!

BUILD STATUS: LOADING BOOST . . .
BatmaroBeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 12:51 AM   #3
Ruger2506

Quote:
So if a sleeper car is what would bring you the most joy then I say do it!!!
I guess it is how you define "joy". I know me. I simply dislike the "maintenance of pretty". All my tools and toys are maintained well and work as expected when needed. But none are waxed and polished and "cosmetically babied". It is simply not who I am despite me wanting it to be important to me from time to time. Every time I start to detail my boat or car or UTVs and usually after I get them washed I think to myself, "that's good enough, lets crack a beer and go sit on the dock." I have the tools and supplies and the initial intention. I guess I just don't feel it's important enough to do it once I've started. Then I pull up along side another camaro at the light and it is polished and beautiful and you can imagine my thoughts.
2012 Camaro 2LT Manual Transmission. -JacFab Ported Intake Manifold -JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer -Overkill 80mm Throttle Body -CAI cold air intake -Overkill E85 Kit -Catch Can -Magnaflow Cat-Back exhaust system -Overkill E85 Tune
Old 06-15-2021, 01:06 AM   #4
BatmaroBeauty
BOOST OR BUST

That’s sort of what I meant.. just find whatever your happiness is and send it, you’ll never go wrong. I’m super OCD about things and when they look aesthetically pleasing or overall well designed, that’s what drove me to originally pursue cosmetics first. When something is clean/organized it makes me feel good and that was enough for me to be happy. But thennnn I modded my exhaust and it was a gateway drug to keep that grin plastered on my face from the first time I floored it after the new setup and after that I just wanted more power and speed. Much regret. So poor. Many headaches. Getting a V8 would’ve certainly saved me money and stress.

Did you already order your PC Kit?

Old 06-15-2021, 01:29 AM   #5
Ruger2506

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmaroBeauty View Post
Did you already order your PC Kit?
Not yet. I see Will's site still states he is not taking new orders
Old 06-15-2021, 01:55 AM   #6
BatmaroBeauty
BOOST OR BUST

-1 for customer communication, but you’re aware of that already. Good luck—hopefully you’ll have a better experience than I’ve been.

Old 06-15-2021, 05:46 AM   #7
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
i like mine to be shiny,and now that ive retired it doesnt see as much bad weather as it did when i was working. i bought it with RS stripes and have done minor mods like painting brake calipers and front and rear emblems.
redcoats1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 09:19 AM   #8
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
Huh?
Why keep a Mona Lisa in a cardboard frame?
Sexy cars are only sexy when they get shown some love.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 09:39 AM   #9
nbostaph

Drives: Yellow 2014 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmaroBeauty View Post
That’s sort of what I meant.. just find whatever your happiness is and send it, you’ll never go wrong.
Batmaro hit it on the head here.

From what I've seen it's uncommon to mod for both performance and appearance; most people I know concentrate on one or the other. The important part is that you're finding happiness in your choices.

I, personally, used to do some basic performance mods. But after I owned a Tesla for a while I gave up completely on trying to make my ICE car fast. Now I do purely cosmetic.

I'm older now, too, and just don't have the same opportunity or interest in going fast that I used to, but I get to enjoy my car being 'shiny' no matter where and how I'm driving it (until winter hits up here brrrr...). And our post-COVID world certainly helps; without having to drive to work each day I can avoid taking the car out in rain and snow and keep it cleaner longer.
Old 06-15-2021, 10:44 AM   #10
CPCNY

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, VR ext/Blk Int
Living in upstate NY where it snows 6 months a year my Camaro is just a fair weather car. As such it lives in the garage and is always shiny which I really enjoy. I like things to be kept in good condition in appearance and functionally. Up here cars like these are not practical for year round driving so people that have them typically have a 4 wheel drive vehicle also which I do as my daily driver.

My car was pretty much stock except for the SLP splitter and Borla exhaust until last year. I decided to keep it permanently so now modding her. Installed a short throw shifter, wheels/tires, quad tip exhaust, new spoiler, ZL1 skirts, rock guards, ZL1 grill, blacked out bow ties and tail light bezels. Kind of got the fever now. Been looking at cold air intakes but they seem like a waste of money to get 10 Hp on a 400+ HP car. Probably get lowering springs next.

Do what makes you happy and what you can afford.
CPCNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 02:53 PM   #11
gunchamp

Drives: 15 Camaro SS
Cosmetics do not matter much to me. Thats just money that could have been spent making the car faster
15 Camaro SS- GPI max top end, ESS Vortech V3 9psi, ID 1050s, ZL1 pump, JMS bap, Long tubes, Corsa extreme, Circle D pro 5C, 391 rear, DSS carbon drive shaft, poly cradle bushings, tuned by Ted Jannetty and much much more
gunchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 04:03 PM   #12
SSkat

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Ive done minimal exterior mods but just enough to make it mine. The real fun for me is in the performance mods. The older I get the more i like a sleeper.
SSkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 04:24 PM   #13
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger2506 View Post
I guess it is how you define "joy". I know me. I simply dislike the "maintenance of pretty". All my tools and toys are maintained well and work as expected when needed. But none are waxed and polished and "cosmetically babied". It is simply not who I am despite me wanting it to be important to me from time to time. Every time I start to detail my boat or car or UTVs and usually after I get them washed I think to myself, "that's good enough, lets crack a beer and go sit on the dock."
I know exactly where you're coming from. I don't find much satisfaction in detailing beyond the occasional washing, either. I'd rather be driving it. Had to clay-bar a car once to remove contaminants too deeply attached for regular cleaner wax to remove. Came out decent, but I don't ever want to do that job again.

I'm also a fan of 'sleeper' builds, where any visual hints about not being stock are more on the subtle side.

Norm
Old 06-15-2021, 05:58 PM   #14
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
My Camaro is built for show,, and go!!! The best of both worlds. Looks like a trailer queen, but is a daily and gets the job done on the street!! Good enough for me!!