Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 01-14-2010, 10:57 AM   #1
TriGun

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS Ice Silver
GTR engine break-in...

the following is taken from Nissan USA website:

Born ready to race.
Outside the clean room, technicians install the external components, include a magnesium oil pan and lightweight, racing-derived twin turbochargers, which are integrated with the intake and manifolds for high strength with lighter weight. Once complete, an hour-long test provides initial break-in of the engine and verification of key specifications. A total of 44 minutes of operation from idle to holding at redline for 10 minutes helps provide instant assurance of lasting durability.

I'm really surprised with this method of breaking-in new engine which is contrary to all car manuals I've owned that warn me to NOT exceed a certain RPM and speed to maximize the car life.

What do you think ?
TriGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:03 AM   #2
Russo
Unofficial Glass Tech

Drives: 2014 Ford F150 FX2
Send a message via Yahoo to Russo
would be nice if they tested their transmissions the same way
Russo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:06 AM   #3
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
I beat the tarp out of my car out of the box. Its under warranty and its not going to let you over rev the motor. Engines built specifically for racing dont get any 1000 mile break in. They get put together and beat on.
rodimus prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:25 AM   #4
Easy Go

Drives: LLT MV5 B34 N65... period.
"it provides assurance of lasting durability" - meaning... if something was going to break over the long term, it would probably break during this test.

This is different than saying that beating on the powertrain makes the powertrain better. I don't know if it does or not - I'm just pointing out how the GTR break-in could be misinterpreted.
In the early morning... when there's only a mere suggestion that the sun is going to bother coming up at all that day - a CGM blur accompanied by the anthem of 312 horses awakens the morning commuters from their NPR-induced stupor. Charging past the front lines in an all-or-nothing battle cry that the King has returned...
Easy Go is offline   Reply With Quote