Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 09-10-2022, 07:55 PM   #1
Z/28Dan

Drives: 2013 HWSE Indy Festival #26
Gotta cool it down

I was at Watkins Glen over labor Day and talked to Rich (unknown Camaro5 handle) about his Z/28 that was modified similarly to mine. He has the cleanest underhood of any Z/28 I've come across. And by that I mean he did this all himself and really had some ingenious touches. (See pic)

He was running a Dewitt radiator and he told me it cooled him down dramatically. Like from the 230's to 200's. That's a dramatic difference and I was wondering if anyone else has installed this radiator?

The rep at Dewitt said they made a couple of changes to the 2012-2015 radiator and now it is a direct bolt in for Z/28s.

https://www.dewitts.com/products/201...minum-radiator

I have been chasing this problem for a while and I think this might be a cool solution.

Anyone?
Attached Images

Dan
Z/28Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 08:16 PM   #2
Coz3z3

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2015 1LE
Oh did they finally release it? I have been waiting for awhile now for them to sell it. Even there website says it's still coming soon. I talked to a rep at a show last year and he had no idea what I was talking about. Then I emailed them earlier this year asking if there was an ETA with no response from them. I've thought of doing the one you posted but didn't know what mods I would have to make to mount the front fan. Would be awesome, and my next purchase, if it's released. Even if it's a made to order. Maybe I will call them in the next month and see if I can get a better answer.
Coz3z3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 07:15 AM   #3
ronchev

Drives: 14' Red Z/28 #336
Talked to them last year about the changes for the Z/28 and nothing yet then, be nice if the finally get he changes made to use as a drop in rad
ronchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 02:27 PM   #4
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
So De Witts offer a ZL1 radiator with double core, etc.
I believe Z28 has same radiator with the addition of an auxiliary radiator.
Why not just get the ZL1 De Witts radiator and keep the OEM Z28 auxiliary radiator?
Space might not allow this but I am just thinking out loud.
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 05:51 PM   #5
SIM GhostrdrZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIM GhostrdrZ View Post
So De Witts offer a ZL1 radiator with double core, etc.
I believe Z28 has same radiator with the addition of an auxiliary radiator.
Why not just get the ZL1 De Witts radiator and keep the OEM Z28 auxiliary radiator?
Space might not allow this but I am just thinking out loud.
Update:
ZL1 radiator #:GM 22879425
Z28 radiator #:GM 23493981
So definitely not the same. Theory busted
Old 09-14-2022, 02:13 PM   #6
SIM GhostrdrZ

Quote:
Update:
ZL1 radiator #:GM 22879425
Z28 radiator #:GM 23493981
So definitely not the same. Theory busted
Just spoke with Dewitt and Z28/ZL1 & SS are all the same upgraded Radiator.
Seems correct because GM parts now show these are all the same.
They are a few weeks behind and the price seems fantastic for the upgrade
Old 09-14-2022, 02:51 PM   #7
Coz3z3

Thanks for the info. Interesting that it is the same when it says coming soon like it's supposed to be different. I'll probably be doing that upgrade this winter then!
Old 09-14-2022, 05:43 PM   #8
SIM GhostrdrZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coz3z3 View Post
Thanks for the info. Interesting that it is the same when it says coming soon like it's supposed to be different. I'll probably be doing that upgrade this winter then!
I wanted to get one for back up. They also are affiliated with afco and said the ZL1 supercharger heat exchanger is a direct fit. I drove to summit racing and it’s not even close to a direct fit so I am skeptical on their definition of direct fit. Drilling into radiator support with all new hoses is not my definition but I might try the radiator.

Update: to be fair about heat exchanger. I have a ZL1 convertible and it has extra bracing in the space the afco heat exchanger is suppose to go so it is not for ZL1 verts which I don’t even think they’re aware of. But if the Dewitt radiator is similar quality of the afco HX, it is beautiful quality build/welds.

Last edited by SIM GhostrdrZ; 09-14-2022 at 09:44 PM.
Old 09-15-2022, 06:42 AM   #9
ronchev

Drives: 14' Red Z/28 #336
Quote:
Just spoke with Dewitt and Z28/ZL1 & SS are all the same upgraded Radiator.
Seems correct because GM parts now show these are all the same.
They are a few weeks behind and the price seems fantastic for the upgrade
That's the problem I ran into with them a year or 2 ago, They Are Not the Same!
The ZL1 has both fans on the back side of the Rad where the Z/28 has one front and one rear to make room for the dry sump tank where the ZL1 does not have that tank. The front fan and factory oil cooler on the Z/28 has different tabs on the rad to mount just these 2 things.
ronchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 08:02 AM   #10
Coz3z3

That's what I thought was different and thought I heard and saw the mounting tabs were different. I wonder if they mean same, size wise, and you have to call to order one for Z/28 and they will make the extra tabs for it? I was a little surprised that you said all 3 were the same. Other than that, I know DeWitt is a very quality brand which is why I was excited for the release rather than looking elsewhere
Old 09-15-2022, 08:32 AM   #11
SIM GhostrdrZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronchev View Post
That's the problem I ran into with them a year or 2 ago, They Are Not the Same!
The ZL1 has both fans on the back side of the Rad where the Z/28 has one front and one rear to make room for the dry sump tank where the ZL1 does not have that tank. The front fan and factory oil cooler on the Z/28 has different tabs on the rad to mount just these 2 things.
That’s what the tech/engineer said that they just place all the tabs on for any fit. He said they just figured out the Z28 tabs/fans so hope someone posts some success.
I’m not sure if the zl1 tabs would interfere with the z28 oil tank or not. I just know that the direct fit zl1 heat exchanger does not fit my zl1 vert. I think the build quality is there but they(de Witt & afco) are into racing and not street cars that owners don’t want to drill or hack to make things fit. So I’ll stick with OEM for now.
Old 09-16-2022, 07:26 AM   #12
Z/28Dan

I spoke to John Dingman at Dewitts and he said these will be a direct bolt in for Z/28s and they will be ready to ship in three weeks.

I just ordered this radiator through DynoSteve at:

https://www.dspperformancemotorsport...rs-32-1139009a

Even better price than going through Dewitts direct.

My only real concern is the mounting bracket for the dry sump. I think some fabrication is going to be required since the dry sump will be a little further back with the wider radiator. We'll see.

Dan

Last edited by Z/28Dan; 09-16-2022 at 08:01 AM.
Old 09-16-2022, 12:53 PM   #13
Coz3z3

So you ordered just a standard SS one? Did you call DynoSteve and let him know you need the new one for the Z/28? I only ask because I know that the SS and ZL1 radiator from DeWitt has been out for some time now as I was looking at them 3 years ago for the 1LE before I got the Z.
And what do you mean price is better? They look to be same price from both links you provided.
Please keep us posted on install though. Definitely going to be looking at this by the end of the year for next year's events
Old 09-16-2022, 05:57 PM   #14
Z/28Dan

That same part number radiator has been modified to allow for the Z/28 with front and rear fans.

Add that to your shopping cart at both websites and you’ll see what I mean. DynoSteve can’t be beat.

Dan