Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-28-2022, 10:20 AM   #1
ZOOMSS

Drives: 2010 Red Jewel 2SS/RS
Comp max lift BSR vs CHE

So I'm looking at a trunion upgrade for my car and I know CHEs have a solid reputation but recently had a guy recommend the max lift solid shaft system to me but I'm not familiar with solid shaft designs and what their benefits are. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this and if they'd educate me a bit on them. I'm a bit leery of Comp considering their dip in general quality due to offshoring a good bit of their stuff, and was also wondering if these use needle bearings like their trunnion upgrade does, as those would be my two main concerns about it.
Old 01-14-2023, 09:14 AM   #2
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Not sure about the BSR, but I swapped out my Smith Brothers to the CHE's at 27k miles and am very happy with the CHE's. It actually made the valve train a lot quieter!!
Old 01-16-2023, 01:49 AM   #3
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
I too am considering a shift to a shaft system when I do my 25k spring refresh, among other things. I am very curious to see how my CHE bushings have held up so far.

The latest version of the LS Comp Max Lift BSR system looks to be very nice, and it uses a BUSHED system instead of needle bearings, which is a win for me. The price also seems pretty good for an entry level shaft system. I haven't really seen any reviews on them yet though. BTR also has a shaft mount system, but they use needle bearings, which I want to stay away from - but they are nearly half the price of the Comp system. Another big difference between the two is the BTR setup re-uses your own rockers, while the Comp system comes with all new rockers.

Zoom, the main benefit of a shaft mount system is it greatly increases durability, rigidity, and reduces valvetrain flex, which in turn reduces friction. We want to keep that flex out of the valvetrain as it can cause loss of expected valve lift (ie, less power), increased valve sweep across the valve tip, and other instabilities.

Just keep in mind this is only one of the components of the LS valvetrain that can be improved on. It can get expensive very quickly.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI

Last edited by InFiD3ViL; 01-16-2023 at 02:13 AM.
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 09:03 AM   #4
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
I too am considering a shift to a shaft system when I do my 25k spring refresh, among other things. I am very curious to see how my CHE bushings have held up so far.

The latest version of the LS Comp Max Lift BSR system looks to be very nice, and it uses a BUSHED system instead of needle bearings, which is a win for me. The price also seems pretty good for an entry level shaft system. I haven't really seen any reviews on them yet though. BTR also has a shaft mount system, but they use needle bearings, which I want to stay away from - but they are nearly half the price of the Comp system. Another big difference between the two is the BTR setup re-uses your own rockers, while the Comp system comes with all new rockers.

Zoom, the main benefit of a shaft mount system is it greatly increases durability, rigidity, and reduces valvetrain flex, which in turn reduces friction. We want to keep that flex out of the valvetrain as it can cause loss of expected valve lift (ie, less power), increased valve sweep across the valve tip, and other instabilities.

Just keep in mind this is only one of the components of the LS valvetrain that can be improved on. It can get expensive very quickly.
Awesome stuff there brother!!