Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 07:57 AM   #1
RSSSIOM

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS IOM 6M
Spray water in my exhaust??

I think my Camaro SS sounds badass to start with, but my dad said that back when he had a Camaro, in the 80's i think, he ran the car and let it get hot then sprayed water into the exhaust to do something, not sure what, and that made it sound "perfect" in his words. He says that i should do this but i wanted to check with the Camaro know-it-alls before doing anything like that or to see if anyone has actually done it...Thanks!
Old 01-18-2010, 07:59 AM   #2
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
did he also put sand into the air intake to port the heads?

Sounds like a bad idea.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:02 AM   #3
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaus76 View Post
did he also put sand into the air intake to port the heads?

Sounds like a bad idea.
lololol
Old 01-18-2010, 08:06 AM   #4
DarrenJ

Drives: '67 Camaro ZZ4 & 2010 IOM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSSSIOM View Post
I think my Camaro SS sounds badass to start with, but my dad said that back when he had a Camaro, in the 80's i think, he ran the car and let it get hot then sprayed water into the exhaust to do something, not sure what, and that made it sound "perfect" in his words. He says that i should do this but i wanted to check with the Camaro know-it-alls before doing anything like that or to see if anyone has actually done it...Thanks!
Cause it to rust...?

I assume the water would cause the muffler to rust from the inside which would cause it to be louder from the baffles in the muffler to rust out. Overall bad idea...
Old 01-18-2010, 08:16 AM   #5
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Please don't do this to your poor Camaro.
warn 145:159 ban
Old 01-18-2010, 08:17 AM   #6
springerpete
Orange GM freak

Drives: 2004 3500HD
That's an old trick for the old type of mufflers that they used to have. They had fiberglass style packing in them so the water would make it brittle and it would blow out of the exhaust. They would then get louder and deeper.

If you do a search on mufflers on this site, you will notice there is no packing in your mufflers. They work by resonation. Water will only fill them up and rust the cans out.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:18 AM   #7
Johnny1

Drives: Would only drive GM
I'm an old fart so maybe I can help out here.Back in the day a lot of us ran glass packs for mufflers on out cars. If you really wanted to get that sweet sound you would let them get hot and throw cold ice water on them to break up the glass. I'll bet this is what he's refering to except spraying water on them.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:24 AM   #8
Nicholas
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Quote:

The only thing I can think is asking him if he had glasspacks in them and after installing them he ran the car hot and sprayed the exhaust to cause them to break and be freakin loud..
Old 01-18-2010, 08:41 AM   #9
RSSSIOM

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS IOM 6M
yes, thats what he was saying. Glasspacks. So overall a really bad idea. You guys are awesome. I might have died if something had happened to my Camaro...Thanks
Old 01-18-2010, 08:45 AM   #10
Nicholas
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Quote:
yes, thats what he was saying. Glasspacks. So overall a really bad idea. You guys are awesome. I might have died if something had happened to my Camaro...Thanks
..thats what the forums for
Old 01-18-2010, 12:43 PM   #11
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
That certainly doesn't sound right.

Almost sounds like trying to give your Camaro an enema!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Which is something perhaps more appropriate for a Mustang....... (Just kidding!)
Old 01-18-2010, 12:53 PM   #12
TommyTSquared

Drives: RSSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1 View Post
I'm an old fart so maybe I can help out here.Back in the day a lot of us ran glass packs for mufflers on out cars. If you really wanted to get that sweet sound you would let them get hot and throw cold ice water on them to break up the glass. I'll bet this is what he's refering to except spraying water on them.
Yup, we called this "blowing-out"... Sounded amazing on Cherry Bombs .

Sounds like a good time for one of our older member to chime in with a "things aren't like they used to be" !

Closed Thread