Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-07-2023, 04:13 PM   #1
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
PNR Ice Tank - your thoughts

So I'm seriously considering the PNR ice box with the Davies pump.
I don't mind if I have to cut the trunk cover, but would prefer it to stay somewhat flat with the carpet over the top so I think the 5 gallon will be ok. I'm also concerned with the Davies pump making noise and the black plastic cap leaking. I probably will only run water and not coolant since it wont be freezing. My reasons for running the tank is mostly added capacity to the cooling system staying off heat soak and the occasional race where I can add ice.

What are your guys experiences?

Thanks - Mark
FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 06:18 PM   #2
tartagliazl1

Drives: 2013 zl1 vert
i just installed the dedicated motorsports 2-gallon expansion tank. going from the prospeed tank 1/2 gallon to the 2-gallon tank should add to the cooling capacity. Plus my interchiller, its winter all year long.
22% lower/ 2.5 upper/ 2” headers/ cat delete/ x-pipe/ 2 gallon x tank/ 100-3 pump/ fic 1300/ dsx aux kit/ 103mm throttle body/ RPM 5” intake/ meth kit/ prometh lid injection/FI interchiller/ 160* stat/ ngk-7/ msd wires/ elite catch can/ tsp cam/ Che trunnions/ ported supercharger/ 1/2” lid spacer/ brick mod/BMR toe and trailing arms/ 751hp 757 tq SAE @17.3lb on a loaded dyno.
tartagliazl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 06:49 PM   #3
FasNuf

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartagliazl1 View Post
i just installed the dedicated motorsports 2-gallon expansion tank. going from the prospeed tank 1/2 gallon to the 2-gallon tank should add to the cooling capacity. Plus my interchiller, its winter all year long.
Nice, I don't think I can spend that kind of cash on a chiller although they work great. I use my small prospeed just as a burp tank. Isn't the DM tank under hood?
Old 04-07-2023, 06:59 PM   #4
tartagliazl1

Yes it’s an under hood tank. How much do you think you’ll spend on a trunk tank? After buying lines, tank, pump, wiring, plus all the misc stuff. I wouldn’t go with the Davies. The pierpurg 400 work better and runs quieter. Draws a lot of amps tho.
Attached Images

22% lower/ 2.5 upper/ 2” headers/ cat delete/ x-pipe/ 2 gallon x tank/ 100-3 pump/ fic 1300/ dsx aux kit/ 103mm throttle body/ RPM 5” intake/ meth kit/ prometh lid injection/FI interchiller/ 160* stat/ ngk-7/ msd wires/ elite catch can/ tsp cam/ Che trunnions/ ported supercharger/ 1/2” lid spacer/ brick mod/BMR toe and trailing arms/ 751hp 757 tq SAE @17.3lb on a loaded dyno.
Old 04-07-2023, 07:03 PM   #5
FasNuf

Quote:
Yes it’s an under hood tank. How much do you think you’ll spend on a trunk tank? After buying lines, tank, pump, wiring, plus all the misc stuff. I wouldn’t go with the Davies. The pierpurg 400 work better and runs quieter. Draws a lot of amps tho.
Ok, I thought I saw that tank today in images while searching. Looks well built.
Yea, the Davies was where I was leaning so total would be about $900 for what I wanted. Maybe I should just save a bit more for a no frills FIchiller.
Old 04-07-2023, 07:11 PM   #6
tartagliazl1

all said and done the interchiller setup cost me about 1800 with all the extra you have to buy. it cost me more because i kept my stock exchager in the system. so i bought a pNp 4 way valve to bypass the exchanger when using the interchiller.
Old 04-07-2023, 07:18 PM   #7
FasNuf

Quote:
all said and done the interchiller setup cost me about 1800 with all the extra you have to buy. it cost me more because i kept my stock exchager in the system. so i bought a pNp 4 way valve to bypass the exchanger when not using the interchiller.
I just saw your post on your costs. I think I remember you mentioning the valve before.
Old 04-07-2023, 07:21 PM   #8
tartagliazl1

But then you get this?
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2023, 07:35 PM   #9
FasNuf

Brrr. Looks cold

Old 04-08-2023, 07:16 AM   #10
ZL1_Chris
ZL1_Chris

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Camaro
No experience with the davies but i am interested. Not certain i understand what the point of chilling IAC to 80°or below is achieving. I understand keeping the IAC under i think 140° under boost to prevent knock and the computer from pulling timing robbing power. With many companies out there trying to sell their product promoting interesting but ultimately costly and mostly unbenificial mods makes me question. Just seams like overkill. I've been debating on adding either an expansion or ice tank but @ around 15 psi with the Afco CAC and some methonal even in 95° Florida heat i never get above 115°.I'm kicking around if a little nitrous wouldn't be a little funner way of cooling and a better use of trunk space.
ZL1_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 08:57 AM   #11
FasNuf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1_Chris View Post
No experience with the davies but i am interested. Not certain i understand what the point of chilling IAC to 80°or below is achieving. I understand keeping the IAC under i think 140° under boost to prevent knock and the computer from pulling timing robbing power. With many companies out there trying to sell their product promoting interesting but ultimately costly and mostly unbenificial mods makes me question. Just seams like overkill. I've been debating on adding either an expansion or ice tank but @ around 15 psi with the Afco CAC and some methonal even in 95° Florida heat i never get above 115°.I'm kicking around if a little nitrous wouldn't be a little funner way of cooling and a better use of trunk space.
Well for sure a chiller is a better way to go over ice, but much more expensive and complicated. It has advantages that ice just cant touch, especially in timing and recovery. The temps I'm concerned about is mostly heat soak when on long drives, but skyrocketing IAT2's are a concern too because of all the lost timing.
The biggest issue for the chiller is price.

I had to laugh when you said "a little nitrous wouldn't be a little funner way of cooling" Laughing gas...funnier... anyway, much to think about on my end.
Old 04-08-2023, 09:59 AM   #12
Risingson05

Drives: 2015 zl1 m6
I have a 6gal w/ emp pump . I do hear the pump but get drowned out with exhaust noise when driving , haven’t seen my iat hit 140 yet most I’ve seen is 100 but then again where I live barely hit mid 70’s .. was considering a interchiller but what I’ve read it stops working at wot . So the interchiller only works when stopped ? Figured as to my environment the interchiller would be over kill as my summers don’t get scorching hot like yalls

Oh - and that’s without ice and running water and alittle water wetter . I’m sure with ice it’s a lot cooler .

Last edited by Risingson05; 04-08-2023 at 10:09 AM.
Risingson05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 11:00 AM   #13
tartagliazl1

It’s true the a/c turns off at wot but who’s driving around all the time in wot? Usually on the street you make a quick hit or 1/4 mile run. But as soon as your out of it the chiller kick in and you are back to winter weather. I’ve never seen 140 ait2 with my afco w/fans prospeed tank and meth. But it did rise quick on hits and the recovery isn’t nearly as fast as a chiller. I start pulling 1/2 degree of timing starting at 125 ait2 and more and more the higher it gets.
Old 04-08-2023, 11:00 AM   #14
FasNuf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risingson05 View Post
I have a 6gal w/ emp pump . I do hear the pump but get drowned out with exhaust noise when driving , haven’t seen my iat hit 140 yet most I’ve seen is 100 but then again where I live barely hit mid 70’s .. was considering a interchiller but what I’ve read it stops working at wot . So the interchiller only works when stopped ? Figured as to my environment the interchiller would be over kill as my summers don’t get scorching hot like yalls

Oh - and that’s without ice and running water and alittle water wetter . I’m sure with ice it’s a lot cooler .
Thanks, It's relatively cool here in Oregon except around July and August. a couple years ago we had a high of 117* in Salem so it gets hot.

I know the a/c compressor shuts off because the tune tells it too. If you have enough coolant capacity, it should still cool well until the compressor comes back online.