Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-17-2023, 02:30 AM   #1
DarkkneZPanda

Drives: 2014 LT Chevrolet Camaro
2014 Suspension Upgrades

Like a lot out there, I want to upgrade my suspension to my 2014 LT Camaro but don't know where to start or what exactly to upgrade. What part of suspension should I upgrade first or where do I start? Thank you for your time.
DarkkneZPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 09:03 PM   #2
Pearlj10

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT
Here’s a decent place to start:

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showt...nsion+upgrades

You should think through what you want the car to do and how you’ll actually use it. The F4 mod can be done economically and improves handling. I did that and then went more aggressive with the Bilstein B6 shocks/struts, aftermarket springs, an adjustable rear sway bar z28 stuff, cradle bushing and other poly inserts, and diff bushing upgrade. It handles great but it is definitely a stiffer, lower, and slightly louder car.

One great bit of advice you’ll see on here at times is the best investment is in improving the driver with instructor lessons. I’m a big fan of that philosophy. It’s easy to get caught up in the “best part for every upgrade” discussion but getting a good baseline on how to drive the car is equally important, perhaps more so after the parts upgrades..

As a shameless plug, I have my F4 takeoffs and some 1LE suspension parts that I’m about to list in the classifieds.
Pearlj10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 10:34 AM   #3
Sales@Phastek

Drives: 2016 1SS
I agree with Pearlj10

Knowing what you want to accomplish with the car is going to set the tone of where your mods need to be concentrated on. There is a lot that can be done to improve, just need to know what the goal is for the car.

A good set of struts and shocks can improve over the factory components for something that is more of a daily driven car. Something that is not going to see a whole lot of track time and just wanting a smoother ride with a slightly stiffer suspension.

Lowering springs are great for styling but a lot of them are purpose built to achieve better launching or allow for better cornering. There are Linear and Progressive spring rates, something to pay attention to when looking at them. Linear are going to be more for the track ONLY car, not to comfortable for road use. Progressive springs are going to be more for comfort but has the ability to perform under some conditions if the springs rates are set up correctly. Either choice is typically set up to achieve a "lowered" look.

Coilovers are going to be a strut/shock replacement that will allow you to dial in the rebound and ride height in one. The rebound adjustment allows you to dial in the stiffness of the strut with a turn of the dial. So you can get a fairly soft ride for the cruise and then stiffen the suspension when you get the track, all fairly quickly.

Swaybars are going to stiffen the side to side motion, or body roll, of the car. The factory sway bars do their job but for something that you want or need to be a bit tighter, then this is what you should be looking at. Mostly intended for those spirited twisty back road turns or track days.

Now as for stiffening the chassis, there a lot of other components that do different jobs. Strut tower braces, control arms, tow arms, trailing arms, or just some chassis braces. These all work in conjunction with each other to achieve a stiffer suspension.

Now this is quite a bit to be tossed to ya, sorry about that. But suspension is something that can help in many different ways. All of this would need to work together with a driver that knows what they getting into, with out the base of that knowledge, having all the parts are great but putting them to use is what is needed.

If we can help in any other way just reach out and let us know!

Thank you,
Ricardo
Old 04-18-2023, 11:06 AM   #4
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
Hotchkis Chassis MAX Brace

Shameless self promoting videos

https://youtu.be/Gbc6dWTItA0

Toe rods and trailing arms are a good start as well.

https://youtu.be/UFbXqmmENpY

FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 03:21 PM   #5
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales@Phastek View Post
I agree with Pearlj10

Knowing what you want to accomplish with the car is going to set the tone of where your mods need to be concentrated on. There is a lot that can be done to improve, just need to know what the goal is for the car.

A good set of struts and shocks can improve over the factory components for something that is more of a daily driven car. Something that is not going to see a whole lot of track time and just wanting a smoother ride with a slightly stiffer suspension.

Lowering springs are great for styling but a lot of them are purpose built to achieve better launching or allow for better cornering. There are Linear and Progressive spring rates, something to pay attention to when looking at them. Linear are going to be more for the track ONLY car, not to comfortable for road use. Progressive springs are going to be more for comfort but has the ability to perform under some conditions if the springs rates are set up correctly. Either choice is typically set up to achieve a "lowered" look.

Coilovers are going to be a strut/shock replacement that will allow you to dial in the rebound and ride height in one. The rebound adjustment allows you to dial in the stiffness of the strut with a turn of the dial. So you can get a fairly soft ride for the cruise and then stiffen the suspension when you get the track, all fairly quickly.

Swaybars are going to stiffen the side to side motion, or body roll, of the car. The factory sway bars do their job but for something that you want or need to be a bit tighter, then this is what you should be looking at. Mostly intended for those spirited twisty back road turns or track days.

Now as for stiffening the chassis, there a lot of other components that do different jobs. Strut tower braces, control arms, tow arms, trailing arms, or just some chassis braces. These all work in conjunction with each other to achieve a stiffer suspension.

Now this is quite a bit to be tossed to ya, sorry about that. But suspension is something that can help in many different ways. All of this would need to work together with a driver that knows what they getting into, with out the base of that knowledge, having all the parts are great but putting them to use is what is needed.

If we can help in any other way just reach out and let us know!

Thank you,
Ricardo

Ricardo,

Who has the best Linear Lowering Springs???
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote