Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 02-11-2010, 06:34 AM   #1
WayneBrady
Super Mario Racing

Drives: 2013 Ashen Grey 2SS/RS M6
SS stock vs V8 Stang/Langer

I hear that the Shelby gt is faster than the ss, but the Hennesy Cam is faster than the supercharged Shelby. Outside of supercharging, wouldn't Lingenfelter be the fastest Cam possible, but since Hen and Lin aren't factory made I'd assume the RS is the fastest stock model, and how does that compare to the gt?

Last edited by WayneBrady; 02-11-2010 at 06:57 AM.
WayneBrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:50 AM   #2
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!

Drives: to Chipotle daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraven Morehead View Post

I hear that the Shelby gt is faster than the ss, but the Hennesy Cam is faster than the supercharged Shelby. Outside of supercharging, wouldn't Lingenfelter be the fastest Cam possible, but since Hen and Lin aren't factory made I'd assume the RS is the fastest stock model, and how does that compare to the gt?
The RS is a trim level, not a performance package.

The RS comes as an option on either the V8 or V6 Camaro.

If you want top factory performance, get the SS 6-speed manual.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:33 AM   #3
Mr CLuTcH
Always On Kill!

Drives: S.I.M. SS
Quote:

Well, the Camaro SS auto/manual is the fastest model Camaro Chevy offers, it's faster than every Mustang Ford has in it's arsenal below the GT500. The GT500 is Fords top Mustang and it's faster than the Camaro, but the Camaro destroys every Mustang offered under the GT500 by Ford. I think the Camaro SS has more bang for buck than the GT500 though, you pay $47,575 base and up if you want any extra features, yet in the quarter mile it's faster than the Camaro SS, but not by much considering it's twice as much as a SS. And I'm only stating that based off of comparisons done between the two. Doesn't mean there aren't GT500s which can't get into the low 12s. But hey, there was supposedly a stock SS which pulled a 12.9 at the track, just wow.

Now when you go into the world of after-market companies like Hennessey, Lingenfelter, ect, those cars all destroy the Shelby GT500, but those cars aren't offered by Chevy so they aren't really consider a "stock SS". As far as who has the fastest aftermarket Camaro? Couldn't tell you,....theres more than one company out there which offers 1,000hp Camaros, all which haven't been put against each other so who knows.
*K&N typhoon CAI
*Aggressive cam.
*Tune
**Result**: 465rwhp/ 447rwtq. Satisfied.
Mr CLuTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:57 AM   #4
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr CLuTcH View Post
I think the Camaro SS has more bang for buck than the GT500 though, you pay $47,575 base and up if you want any extra features, yet in the quarter mile it's faster than the Camaro SS, but not by much considering it's twice as much as a SS. And I'm only stating that based off of comparisons done between the two.
You think the Camaro offer the most bang-for-the-buck? I'd have to say, from a performance standpoint, it is a fact that it does. (Even if your numbers and math skills are way off. Base MSRP on the 2010 GT500 was/is $46,725 and all available options will only add $3,862 to that price if you elect to add them. The most basic SS's MSRP is $30,945. It doesn't even come close to having the features that are standard in the GT500 and, even then, it's hardly half the price of a fully loaded GT500. Nice try though.) For the record, has anyone ordered a bare-bones 1SS or is that some version that is possible but hardly ever reality?

As far as I am aware, there has only been one direct comparison between a SS Camaro and a GT500, and that was MotorTrend's. (When you use the plural form "comparisons", it leads one to believe that there have been several instances of the two cars being pitted against each other and all having the same, or similar, result.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr CLuTcH View Post
Doesn't mean there aren't GT500s which can't get into the low 12s. But hey, there was supposedly a stock SS which pulled a 12.9 at the track, just wow.
I think you meant to say high-11's, not low-12's, for the GT500, right?
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:58 AM   #5
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!

Drives: to Chipotle daily
Uh Oh.... You pissed off GarageLogic about the GT500....
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:02 PM   #6
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:

Careful, there is a Shelby Mustang GT which has minor improvements on a regular Ford Mustang GT. Then there is the Ford Shelby GT500. The Ligenfelter cars are supercharged. I don't know of a shop offering complete high performance naturally aspirated Camaros or packages.

The fastest stock model would be a manual 1SS or 1SS/RS. But the difference between auto and manual is minimal, and between 1SS to 2SS its even smaller. RS makes no difference in performance on the SS's, though the tires do help a bit on the V6 cars.

Stock for stock, the SS is slower than the GT500 by a clear margin but faster than a 2010 GT. The 2011 Mustangs will see improvements over the 2010 models and the 2011 GT will at least as fast as the SS, probably faster.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:19 PM   #7
jrc1122

Drives: 2012 Mustang GT
GT500 FTW
But for the price New vs New= Camaro FTW
________
TOYOTA TF108 SPECIFICATIONS

Last edited by jrc1122; 03-11-2011 at 10:44 PM.
jrc1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 02:54 PM   #8
Ninjak
Banned

Drives: 08 GT Mustang | 65 GT Notchbac
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Careful, there is a Shelby Mustang GT which has minor improvements on a regular Ford Mustang GT. Then there is the Ford Shelby GT500. The Ligenfelter cars are supercharged. I don't know of a shop offering complete high performance naturally aspirated Camaros or packages.

The fastest stock model would be a manual 1SS or 1SS/RS. But the difference between auto and manual is minimal, and between 1SS to 2SS its even smaller. RS makes no difference in performance on the SS's, though the tires do help a bit on the V6 cars.

Stock for stock, the SS is slower than the GT500 by a clear margin but faster than a 2010 GT. The 2011 Mustangs will see improvements over the 2010 models and the 2011 GT will at least as fast as the SS, probably faster.
This. Well said.

Also, unless you are looking to save money, a 2010 GT should not even be considered. Unless of course you get such a great deal on and can F/I right off the bat.

Beyond that, consider a GT 2011 or the 2010/11 SS for closer performance.
Ninjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:43 PM   #9
Indy2010

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by garagelogic View Post
You think the Camaro offer the most bang-for-the-buck? I'd have to say, from a performance standpoint, it is a fact that it does. (Even if your numbers and math skills are way off. Base MSRP on the 2010 GT500 was/is $46,725 and all available options will only add $3,862 to that price if you elect to add them. The most basic SS's MSRP is $30,945. It doesn't even come close to having the features that are standard in the GT500 and, even then, it's hardly half the price of a fully loaded GT500. Nice try though.) For the record, has anyone ordered a bare-bones 1SS or is that some version that is possible but hardly ever reality?

As far as I am aware, there has only been one direct comparison between a SS Camaro and a GT500, and that was MotorTrend's. (When you use the plural form "comparisons", it leads one to believe that there have been several instances of the two cars being pitted against each other and all having the same, or similar, result.)

I think you meant to say high-11's, not low-12's, for the GT500, right?
I have a 1SS. The only option I got was factory stripes. I told the dealer that all I wanted was the body, engine and transmission (joking of course). I considered that option the absolute best bang for the buck - which was what I wanted. I can add 9-10K into the car, get 600 HP or so (w/ handling improvements as well) and still be below $40K invested. Not bad if you ask me.
Indy2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:26 PM   #10
0-60n4.6

Drives: 2006 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy2010 View Post
I have a 1SS. The only option I got was factory stripes. I told the dealer that all I wanted was the body, engine and transmission (joking of course). I considered that option the absolute best bang for the buck - which was what I wanted. I can add 9-10K into the car, get 600 HP or so (w/ handling improvements as well) and still be below $40K invested. Not bad if you ask me.
Your right but not at the same time..... the new ss is a lot less car than the GT500 as far as quality, i have driven both and the GT500 is the better car but like you said you def pay for it. When you start talking modifications i cant stand when people start with the "if i put 5k in my car it will be faster than your car and i will still have spent less than you" crap. yes if you put 9k in it then you will be a faster but the GT500 will still be a nicer car....oh and all the GT500 needs is a tune a pulley swap
0-60n4.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:28 PM   #11
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy2010 View Post
Not bad at all, indeed. A bare-bones version is definitely the best option from a performance standpoint.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:04 PM   #12
jrc1122

Drives: 2012 Mustang GT
I agree. I've never really bought into the -- If i add X amount of dollars I will be faster for cheaper.

Especially when choosing different model cars and brands.

Heck you can buy an old Fox body and a crate motor, and be REALLY fast for much less. You can do the same for any car.

When buying a Camaro or GT500,you aren't just paying for 0-60 mph and 1/4 mile. If that was the case. Why would anyone pay 35K on a 2SS/RS or 45K for GT500.

I can give someone 15 grand and they can buy a car and build it to beat either in the 1/4-- so I agree anyone with half a brain should know there is much more to cars than those stats.

Comfort, Quality, Heritage, Uniqueness, "The It factor", Amenities/Options, Looks, Handling/ Braking performance Interior design/ layout. Passenger space, headroom/ leg room, storage space. Warranty... etc..

So much more goes into play than 0-60mph or 1/4 mile time.
________
Tube 8

Last edited by jrc1122; 03-11-2011 at 10:45 PM.
jrc1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:25 PM   #13
cmiller8006

Drives: 2009 Cobalt SS/TC
Man the 2ssrs we have on the lot doesn't have strips but has all other options and is 42,000. And that's about the same options as a base gt500
Old 02-11-2010, 07:59 PM   #14
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmiller8006 View Post
Man the 2ssrs we have on the lot doesn't have strips but has all other options and is 42,000. And that's about the same options as a base gt500
And there is probably very little, if anything, that is not standard on the GT500 that is an option on the Camaro.

You reinforced the point I was making. You have a loaded up 2SS Camaro coming in at $42K MSRP and it's still lacking a ton of stuff you get in a base GT500 like 540hp, forged internals, factory twin-disc clutch, a factory fuel system capable of supporting 600+rwhp of the showroom floor, etc.