Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-22-2010, 09:55 PM   #1
JChen

Drives: 2010 SIM 1LT RS
Berger V6 Tune...Strings attached

So a neighbor of mine works for Berger in Grand Rapids, Michigan... I was asking him about their Berger Camaro and what the possibility was for them to tune a V6. He spoke with one of his coworkers and said they can do a tune for $500, including before and after dynos. The caveat is that they do not have any hp/tq numbers as this would be their first V6 tune.

Yes, I've tried to work out a deal to lower that cost since I'd be their guinea pig... No dice.

Thoughts?
JChen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:01 PM   #2
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Word is the V6 is tuned really well from the factory and there is not much to be gained. Certainly not worth $500, unless you have mods on the car that would make it beneficial.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:01 PM   #3
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
If it isn't a true Berger kit, it really isn't that spectacular. You should find another tuner. Lingenfelter has a V6 kit.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:03 PM   #4
JChen

That's what I've been hearing from the other threads... I do have the Airaid CAI and the MRT v1.0 exhaust so there may be some large(r) gains.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:08 PM   #5
JChen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
If it isn't a true Berger kit, it really isn't that spectacular. You should find another tuner. Lingenfelter has a V6 kit.
Part of the appeal of Berger is that it is local for me and he said my warranty would stay in tact since they have their own dealership.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:37 PM   #6
masterofpuppets
Pulling your strings

Drives: My girlfriend crazy with car talk
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChen View Post
Part of the appeal of Berger is that it is local for me and he said my warranty would stay in tact since they have their own dealership.
CAREFUL!!! They say that, but get it in writing. Harley dealers do the same thing. Had a friend get exhaust (which included an hd factory tune) put on at a hd dealer, told him it would keep his warranty if he did it there, and when he had to get warranty service done later they pretty much told him that he pissed his warranty away with the aftermarket parts. Just because they're a dealer doesn't mean they can change corporate policy.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:38 PM   #7
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterofpuppets View Post
CAREFUL!!! They say that, but get it in writing. Harley dealers do the same thing. Had a friend get exhaust (which included an hd factory tune) put on at a hd dealer, told him it would keep his warranty if he did it there, and when he had to get warranty service done later they pretty much told him that he pissed his warranty away with the aftermarket parts. Just because they're a dealer doesn't mean they can change corporate policy.
They are a local franchise, not a massive corporation. They just want you to pay for the service hours.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:41 PM   #8
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterofpuppets View Post
No, but they can cover him in house. That's how many dealers do who install aftermarket parts.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:13 AM   #9
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
So a neighbor of mine works for Berger in Grand Rapids, Michigan... I was asking him about their Berger Camaro and what the possibility was for them to tune a V6. He spoke with one of his coworkers and said they can do a tune for $500, including before and after dynos. The caveat is that they do not have any hp/tq numbers as this would be their first V6 tune.

Yes, I've tried to work out a deal to lower that cost since I'd be their guinea pig... No dice.

Thoughts?
Couple of questions...

1) Who's software are they using?

2) Is the $500 for a one time only dyno tune? Is it just a "canned" tune?

3) What will they charge if you need changes to your tune?

Comments...

1) On a stock car there is no real benefit HP-wise to an aftermarket tune... However there may be a benefit for you since you have an aftermarket CAI.

2) Guinea pigs should never pay full price...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:48 PM   #10
JChen

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
Couple of questions...

1) Who's software are they using?

2) Is the $500 for a one time only dyno tune? Is it just a "canned" tune?

3) What will they charge if you need changes to your tune?

Comments...

1) On a stock car there is no real benefit HP-wise to an aftermarket tune... However there may be a benefit for you since you have an aftermarket CAI.

2) Guinea pigs should never pay full price...
I sorta tuned out (pun intended) when he said $500 w/o any numbers to back it up...

I'm not sure what software is being used. I assume the same for their Berger V8 Camaro kits.

I also assume that it's a canned tune because I asked him if the tuner needed to know what mods I had made and he said no, it wouldn't matter. That alone made me hesitant about this tune.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:34 PM   #11
pleigh

Drives: 2010 CGM 1LT A6
Quote:
I sorta tuned out (pun intended) when he said $500 w/o any numbers to back it up...

I'm not sure what software is being used. I assume the same for their Berger V8 Camaro kits.

I also assume that it's a canned tune because I asked him if the tuner needed to know what mods I had made and he said no, it wouldn't matter. That alone made me hesitant about this tune.
no numbers no dice

NO, the Rev limiter is not set to 118MPH... and YES, driving in this manner does affect MPG...
pleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:04 PM   #12
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:

yep... stay away... far away... LOL

Although Berger did have a nice little party for that Grand Rapids cruise thingy...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:39 PM   #13
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
From what I was told Berger is having a local Grand Rapids Tuner perform the tunes. If you went to him without going through Berger the price is the same. $500 for a tune and some dyno runs is usually the going rate. Find out who they are using and go talk to him yourself...

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 05:00 PM   #14
redman

Drives: 18 2SS Vert
Good chance it may be Baker Eng. in Spring Lake, Mi.
redman is offline   Reply With Quote