Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-08-2010, 12:25 AM   #1
blinkme323

Drives: -
Starting to regret buying black...

So where do I begin? The endless amounts of water spots and swirl marks? The scratches that only get worse when you try to correct them? The nicks and chips that seem to show up everywhere?

I was able to tolerate this for a while, but I'm really getting fed up. I mean how do you fellow owners who purchased a black Camaro cope with this stuff? Sorry for venting, but I'm starting to think that I'm just too OCD for this color.

It does look amazing when it's freshly detailed though...
blinkme323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:29 AM   #2
masterofpuppets
Pulling your strings

Drives: My girlfriend crazy with car talk
I regret buying it for a DD. I've washed it as many as 3 times a week. But every time she's clean reminds me why I got it
Old 04-08-2010, 12:31 AM   #3
09'Z28
The "Mad Hamster"

Drives: '71 Camaro, '90 mx5, '71 2002
If you cant stand it you could give it to me, I'll take good care of.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:31 AM   #4
80Zedder
Cheif Pounderhard

Drives: 80camaro/Avalanche/srt8charger
I warned everyone about the Black waterbased paint. Its crap, CRAAAAAAAAAAAAP. Drives me nuts trying to fix it.
80Zedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:34 AM   #5
Blownhotrodder

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Werent you warned beforehand? Ive never owned a black car and probably never will. Im too OCD.
Blownhotrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:36 AM   #6
sfgiantsfan9

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS and 2001 Ford F250
Black is alot of work but you won't find a more beautiful color on this camaro. When she's clean, a black camaro is like sex on wheels. I had a hard time as well at first cuz I have to have her spotless when I drive but I figured out a technique that works great. I usually wash once a week, sometimes once every two weeks, just depends. As you know, with black the next day it is dusty already. I bought the California duster and that really works well between washes at removing dust. And you can dust the whole car in like ten minutes. Then I use a quick detailer ( I use turtle wax ice spray detailer) and use it on the car after it is dusted. Takes maybe twenty minutes to do everything and she looks freshly washed again.
sfgiantsfan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:41 AM   #7
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Yeah it takes a lot to keep it looking beautiful. After I wash it I usually do a quick wax job to get rid of any swirl marks and water spots.. Oh and I have a clear bra on the front of it, helps preventing all those chips!
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:41 AM   #8
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
i don't have a camaro, but i will agree with you when i say i will NEVER own a black car again. My cobra is two tone now (top half black), and a main reason I painted it two tone was to eliminate as much black as possible.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:43 AM   #9
riverrattcom

Drives: 2010 2SS RS SIM
Had a Black Camaro before, Thats why I Bought Silver this time!!
riverrattcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:54 AM   #10
LimaCharlie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS - 2004 Silverado
My 2004 Silverado is black and I have no regrets with the color. Yes, black requires more maintenance than other colors but it is the best color when freshly detailed. There's nothing like a clean black vehicle. Unlike most people, I look at black as a paint condition tool. If there are scratches, swirls, imperfections, etc......black will tell you. This way you can fix the problem way before it turns into a much bigger issue. All I can recommend is learn how to wash/clay bar/wax your car correctly....on a regular basis. If not, pay a detailer to do this work for you. Use spray "detailer" wax in between washes and consider a California Car Duster to manage the dust. Never wax or detail your car after rain (water spots). Always wash before you do this stuff. Once someone finds out you have a decent idea of how to detail a car, they will offer ridiculous amounts of money for you to detail their car (at least I think they're crazy). So.....there is definitely a good payoff...
LimaCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:28 AM   #11
StuntmanMike

Drives: Impressive. Scary tends to impress.
I'm probably the most OCD person I know. That being said, I've had two black vehicles before and when I get my Camaro, it will also be black.

The key to owning the black car is simple.

First, wash it at least once a week.

Second, realize that no matter what you do, there will be chips and road damage. It's a fact of life. You can take steps to minimize it, but short of only taking it out 'on weekends,' you're going to have some damage.

Third, and most important, realize that although you can see the chips and road damage up close, people you're cruising past on the road never will. All they see is a beautiful, black beast of a car. Plus, even you can't see the damage while you're driving it.
StuntmanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:49 AM   #12
Spiv
Why you gotta be hatin'?

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
If I didn't have road damage, it would mean I wasn't driving it enough, or enjoying it. Now for some, to enjoy it, they'd rather keep it safe in a garage, to each his own.

Hell, my car was damaged for the first time the other day. Someone had hit it with something while I was in the store (not a car, not enough damage for a collison) and REMOVED TOTALLLLLYLYYYY the paint at the corner of the front right panel, just behind the side lighting. Only about an inch high and half an inch wide, but it was down to the primer.

I was pissed at first, but shit, this stuff is going to happen if I drive it all the time. I threw on some touch up paint (which is awesome BTW for those I've seen say it's crap). I'll get it properly fixed in a couple weeks when I send it for it's custom paint job.
Spiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:54 AM   #13
josh52382

Drives: Black 2ss 6m with cyber grey strips
I just keep washing it and when it is really dirty as it is now I just look at and think in my head what it looks like when she is all waxed and stuff. the end product is always better then other colors.
josh52382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:16 AM   #14
yzfmik

Drives: '10 Summit White 2LT M6
I have a black '08 Civic now (stop laughing!) and as far as Civic's go I thought the black looked the best, but I also am super anal about everything so yes the black is a tough color to maintain. That is why the Camaro I am buying tomorrow is white!