Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-16-2010, 06:33 PM   #1
StlRomAniaN

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Exclamation Grr, should I? :(

I have #12768. 2SS/RS A6.

Should I trade it in and get a manual? TAPshift is great, but I've been thinking lately about converting over.

Discuss.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:35 PM   #2
Dowgg123

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS Black
Try to get a hold of a friends Manual... see if you really like it, and if you are willing to take a substantial hit...all up to you
Dowgg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 06:39 PM   #3
StlRomAniaN

I'm actually pretty good friends with my dealer's agent (the guy who "specializes" in Camaros) lol and I'll be getting a test drive on Monday. I actually helped him sell a couple of ZL550 & ZL575's so I might be able to switch with no cost.

Besides sales tax, right? Grr.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:40 PM   #4
oyealiz

Drives: c7 3LT, manual, vert
Send a message via AIM to oyealiz Send a message via Yahoo to oyealiz
Did you not drive the 6 spd before you bought? Just curious why you bought the auto and are now regretting that decision.
oyealiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 06:46 PM   #5
4xchamp
MURC 666

Drives: 69 Pace Car 68 Camaro Restomod 81 Z
I bought the stick because of 26 hp and regardless I think it's way cooler .
Many people don't want to deal with the clutch/shift . That's why they come both ways .
Try it on and see how it fits .
Old 04-16-2010, 06:50 PM   #6
YouseeSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS M6 SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StlRomAniaN View Post
I have #12768. 2SS/RS A6.

Should I trade it in and get a manual? TAPshift is great, but I've been thinking lately about converting over.

Discuss.
Dude, if I were you I'd do it. I traded up last week and it is AWESOME! I traded my 2ssrs SIM L99 w/ sunroof for the exact same car w/ stick and no sunroof. I'm only 5'10 but head room seemed cramped and without the sunroof it feels great. M6 is a blast and stock for stock feels a lot meaner then the A6. I also got bored with the tap shifters, didn't like driving at 9 o clock-3 o clock on the steering wheel, felt un natural and difficult through the turns. I took a little hit money wise but I got a smokin deal on the new manual car. Almost $2,000 below invoice! They had the car in stock so I had to jump on it and if you are even thinking about it I would too if I were you. You will be glad you did. JMO
YouseeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:17 PM   #7
StlRomAniaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyealiz View Post
Did you not drive the 6 spd before you bought? Just curious why you bought the auto and are now regretting that decision.
I didn't own a stick before this car, but I have driven some.

I just thought that TAPshift would be enough. Or maybe it is good enough...maybe all of the rwhp we're missing in the A6 version is influencing this thought?

I'll see how Monday's test drive goes.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:53 PM   #8
Blackbean

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
I traded my 2SS RS A6 in last week and preordered a 2011 2SS RS stick.I had two reasons,a black car is like trying to please a nagging wife, and on the serious side,I really didn't care for the way the auto lurched off the line as it switched from 4 to 8 cylinders.The AFM and torque mgt. are annoying . I also saw a post about how many people use the paddle shifters, and very few did.
I had 8K miles on the car and it cost me around $5K to trade.I don't know the exact amount yet because 2011 prices haven't been released.I expect a $500 increase over 2010 prices.
Blackbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:34 PM   #9
StlRomAniaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbean View Post
I traded my 2SS RS A6 in last week and preordered a 2011 2SS RS stick.I had two reasons,a black car is like trying to please a nagging wife, and on the serious side,I really didn't care for the way the auto lurched off the line as it switched from 4 to 8 cylinders.The AFM and torque mgt. are annoying . I also saw a post about how many people use the paddle shifters, and very few did.
I had 8K miles on the car and it cost me around $5K to trade.I don't know the exact amount yet because 2011 prices haven't been released.I expect a $500 increase over 2010 prices.
Interesting, get HUD?

Also, do you need to pay for another sales tax? I'm young so I don't really know. lol or can you just swap off the plates?
Old 04-16-2010, 09:49 PM   #10
Blackbean

In fla you only pay tax on the trade difference, so it would be around $350.I know that is not necessarily true in other places where they tax the entire transaction at a lower %.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:57 PM   #11
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
take it from me man. i test drove a manual and loved it. right now i'm driving an automatic 2ss as a loaner and they don't compare.

the manual is way more fun. it's a muscle car for crying out loud, get the manual.
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:04 PM   #12
NoUCantDriveIt

Drives: 2SS RS M6 CGM/Black Rally
I don't know if trading is the right choice for you or not. I took both for a test ride, and honestly wasn't comfortable with the M6 I drove. I also knew if I went with the A6 I'd never use the tap shift. For me, shifting means left foot clutch right hand shift.. not gizmos on the steering wheel.

I decided on the A6, but the M6 stuck in the back of my head and kept saying "c'mon.. you know you want me". So I listened, and getting an M6 (not the one I test drove) was +100% the right choice. Like you, I would have regretted getting the A6. As long as you don't have to take a big hit in $$... what's the worst that could happen if you trade?
NoUCantDriveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:27 PM   #13
Blackbean

I had a 2008 Shelby GT500 with a Tremac 6060 6 speed stick,[same as ZO6] which was the absolute nicest trans I ever drove.The only problem was the clutch pedal pressure was right out of a Kenworth.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:40 PM   #14
Bryan

Drives: SIM 2SS/RS M6
Do it! This is my first manual car and I LOVE it!
I always though people were talking out of their @$$ when they said driving a manual makes you feel more connected to the vehicle but they are right.

Not that there is anything wrong with an auto I am just having way more fun in this car than any of my previous. That may be due to the 426 hp compared to my last car which was a Ford Taurus with zero hp though.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote