Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 04-16-2010, 07:32 PM   #1
brandotron
I am the internets.

Drives: dangerously
Apartment dwellers-- Do you have a dog?

The little woman and I are discussing the possibility of getting a dog. However, we live in a one bedroom apartment with no yard. We're both pretty active and outdoorsy--camping, going to ensenada, etc. And we live a mile from the beach. Sounds great, but we also both have 9-5 schedules. If we were to do it, we would get an adult dog (hopefully potty trained) from the pound. Something small like a bulldog, but not a yapping rat-dog.

I've grown up with dogs and I really miss having one, but is it cruel to keep a dog inside all day? I'm thinking maybe so?
Old 04-16-2010, 07:39 PM   #2
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
i would not get a dog at this time.dogs are just like kids.they have to have baby sitters,they need to be fed at certain times and you have to clean up after them.with where you live,with no yard you are asking for a lot of trouble.we won't even mention the vet bills.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 07:43 PM   #3
HeatherR

Drives: 2009 CTS, 2008 Solstice GXP
I agree with Ron. The deal breaker is the two 9-5s not the apartment.

We lived in 2 BR condo downtown Toronto for 2+ years with an English Bulldog. They are great "apartment dogs" and require little exercise, but you can't leave ANY dog unattended for 8+ hours and think you'll return home to the place like you left it.
HeatherR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 07:43 PM   #4
WadeWilson
How U Doin?

Drives: 2014 CTS-V Coupe
We have a 19 month old English Bulldog and we crate her while we are gone but we will not leave her crated more than 4 hours. Any longer than that is unfair to the dog. I'll be moving into a house in two weeks so that will be much better for her.
WadeWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 07:48 PM   #5
brandotron
I am the internets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherR View Post
I agree with Ron. The deal breaker is the two 9-5s not the apartment.

We lived in 2 BR condo downtown Toronto for 2+ years with an English Bulldog. They are great "apartment dogs" and require little exercise, but you can't leave ANY dog unattended for 8+ hours and think you'll return home to the place like you left it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang_Killer View Post
We have a 19 month old English Bulldog and we crate her while we are gone but we will not leave her crated more than 4 hours. Any longer than that is unfair to the dog. I'll be moving into a house in two weeks so that will be much better for her.
That's kind of where I'm at with it too. The other times I've had dogs, I've lived in places with yards. I have no experience with indoor dogs (I've always had Goldens), but my first thought was, "wouldn't that suck for the dog?" Do we have any city dwellers here? What do new yorkers do?
Old 04-16-2010, 08:24 PM   #6
HeatherR

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandotron View Post
That's kind of where I'm at with it too. The other times I've had dogs, I've lived in places with yards. I have no experience with indoor dogs (I've always had Goldens), but my first thought was, "wouldn't that suck for the dog?" Do we have any city dwellers here? What do new yorkers do?
Do you have anyone who could sto by and let the dog during the day. We crated our bulldog during training and while he was a puppy, but never for more than a few hours at a time. We were in house during that time. He was not using the crate at all by the time we moved to Toronto. We were on the 42nd floor in the middle of the entertainment district in a 1100 sq/ft condo and that was not an issue at all...Most bulldogs are total couch potatoes!

In Toronto there were a lot of dog walkers in our building that would take out dogs for the people that worked...maybe you have something like that near you

There are Bulldog rescues that may have an adult dog. I was active in a loca one when I lived in Michigan, but keep in mind rescues usually have some medical problems, etc. Also, sometimes people who show or breed their bulldogs will adopt out older dogs that are either done showing or breeding...

If you can't work out what to do while you're at work I would not get a dog...

Good luck
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2010, 09:21 PM   #7
Axe

Drives: 2018 LS
Dogs have a habit of barking when their owners are not home, its bad enough when they are outside, let alone with neighbors seperated only by studded walls. People in apartments should not have dogs.
Axe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:23 PM   #8
brandotron
I am the internets.

Thanks for the input guys, it's much appreciated! If it were to happen, something along the lines of a french bulldog would be what we're looking for. Not too big, but something we could wrassle with

We actually DO have a dog walker living in our complex (good idea, i forgot about her!), but that barking issue is definitely something to think about. The bulldogs I've met have seemed mellow--do they bark a lot? I don't know if i've ever heard one bark!
Old 04-16-2010, 10:26 PM   #9
WadeWilson
How U Doin?

This is what mine does a good bit of the time.
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2010, 10:27 PM   #10
WadeWilson
How U Doin?

Jasmine rarely ever barks. She may let out a bark or two if someone is at the door and that's it. She will lick you to death though if you let her.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:40 PM   #11
HeatherR

Quote:
Jasmine rarely ever barks. She may let out a bark or two if someone is at the door and that's it. She will lick you to death though if you let her.
Yep, that sounds about right...Barking takes way too much energy that does not involve food for any bulldog!
Old 04-16-2010, 10:42 PM   #12
WadeWilson
How U Doin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherR View Post
Yep, that sounds about right...Barking takes way too much energy that does not involve food for any bulldog!
I love your bulldog. I'm wanting to get another but a male this time. Thinking of a brindle.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:45 PM   #13
HeatherR

Quote:
I love your bulldog. I'm wanting to get another but a male this time. Thinking of a brindle.
We're thinking of getting another now that were back in a house and out of a condo (for housebreaking). They are the best dogs! Our pup's mom was brindle. A good choice.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:46 PM   #14
WadeWilson
How U Doin?

How old and how much does your weigh? Jasmine is 19 months and 55lbs. The vet says she's in great health and is like a little cannonball.