Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-27-2010, 10:41 PM   #1
Mr CLuTcH
Always On Kill!

Drives: S.I.M. SS
Car Security Advice

Well guys, it finally happened, someone tried to steal my car. They failed, but they damn sure tried. I cover my car every night after I give it the final cleaning at the end of the day, so I wake up and find my cover balled up and thrown to the ground aside my car. I then get pissed because one, I know someone has been tampering with my car, and two, after I inspect the entire car, it seems like they tried sticking a flat head screw driver in my key slot on my drivers door, it had scratches everywhere on it. It's not something anyone on the street can see because it's only visible when your nose to nose with it, but I don't EVER use the key to enter my car, so that's how I know someone tried getting in. The thing was PERFECT before last night! No scratches anywhere.

So now, I'm keeping the thing in the garage,......until further notice. And the damn "wind" didn't take the cover off. The cover has survived hard rain and wind and it stayed on, and that's without the use of the lock. But I need advice,.....where is "SpyMaster" when you need him?! I tried getting a "Viper 350" alarm installed but the shops tell me that the kill-switch that comes with the alarm isn't comparable with the new Camaro and that they don't have some mod to install it on my car. And after talking to a couple of guys about the security thing and "Onstar", they tell me Onstar isn't hitting on shhh. Yeah. They claim if the guys know what they're doing, and they want the car, they can disable Onstar and from then on it's free roam. And even if they didn't disable Onstar, they can only kill the car AFTER it's been stolen and YOU CALL THEM, not once the alarm sounds like on the Viper alarm.

What kind of car alarm can I look into if Onstar is crap and Viper isn't compatible???? What I would love is simply an alarm which is very sensitive to DISTANCE and once it sounds it's RIDICULOUSLY LOUD. That way, even though the car's engine wasn't killed like with the Viper alarm, it's extremely loud noise I can hear inside my house which will alert me to the fact that someone is outside fooling around with my car which will then either deter the thief and or give me time to call the cops and ambulance before I either begin to attempt murder him, or simply disable him and dispose of his body in my trunk.

"You think it's big enough for a body?"

That's besides the point! I just need some good recommendations! And sure locating the car after it's taken is great and all, so you can you know- get it back, but what I'm more interested in is preventive measure to make sure they don't even get the car in the first place. They'd get it if they brought a damn flat bed, but it would still take time for them to hook it up and that's only if my alarm, by some miracle or stroke of luck, didn't sound off once they got within distance. So all I need to something which is LOUD......extremely loud. An alarm with a kill switch compatible with the 2010 Camaro SS would be ideal, but hey if you guys only know something which is loud, I'd take that.

Sorry to exaggerate, THANKS!! ............and Go CAMARO 5!
*K&N typhoon CAI
*Aggressive cam.
*Tune
**Result**: 465rwhp/ 447rwtq. Satisfied.
Mr CLuTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:51 PM   #2
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
i'm not an alarm guru,but if you have a garage,why is your car outside? put an alarm in your garage and keep it in there.i used to have an alarm in my old garage that operated off batteries.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:54 PM   #3
Shuffler
God Bless Dawson

Drives: Synergy for my Daughter
Keep your guns cleaned and ready too.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:55 PM   #4
Patriot

Drives: 2011 LS3/RS on order... ..
You'd think the OnStar ads would convince these guys that the car can be tracked if stolen, and all Camaros have active and passive security systems. Yet they try and try
Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:00 PM   #5
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
This is what I'm getting. And it's been installed before on the Camaro by a couple on this site so I know it is compatible.

http://www.viper.com/P-3302V/Viper+5...ecurity+System

It's a 2 way alarm meaning that your car will page you if something is happening (better then a really loud alarm). Plus Viper has a secondary siren that is really loud http://www.viper.com/P-515R/Backup-Battery-Siren
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:09 PM   #6
Mr CLuTcH
Always On Kill!

Quote:
i'm not an alarm guru,but if you have a garage,why is your car outside? put an alarm in your garage and keep it in there.i used to have an alarm in my old garage that operated off batteries.
Because,....2 more significantly expensive cars other than a 2010 Camaro SS are inside of it and I had to sacrifice leaving the SS outside. But I'm gonna keep it inside for now until I figure something out.

Quote:
Keep your guns cleaned and ready too.
My thoughts exactly.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
This is what I'm getting. And it's been installed before on the Camaro by a couple on this site so I know it is compatible.

http://www.viper.com/P-3302V/Viper+5...ecurity+System

It's a 2 way alarm meaning that your car will page you if something is happening (better then a really loud alarm). Plus Viper has a secondary siren that is really loud http://www.viper.com/P-515R/Backup-Battery-Siren
Yes! Thats the same thing I've been looking at! But I didn't buy it just yet because I needed to know if it's compatible with our cars. If it comes with the kill switch, I'm hooked.
*K&N typhoon CAI
*Aggressive cam.
*Tune
Old 04-27-2010, 11:18 PM   #7
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
imo, consider yourself lucky they didnt Break your windows to steal anything on the inside. I've seen people here where I live, when they FAIL to get ur car door open, they just Break the windows (regardless of alarms) they just break, and bolt
Old 04-27-2010, 11:23 PM   #8
Mr_Draco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr CLuTcH View Post
Yes! Thats the same thing I've been looking at! But I didn't buy it just yet because I needed to know if it's compatible with our cars. If it comes with the kill switch, I'm hooked.
It comes with a "starter kill". When you arm the alarm, the car can not be started until you disarm it.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:48 PM   #9
Mr CLuTcH
Always On Kill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
It comes with a "starter kill". When you arm the alarm, the car can not be started until you disarm it.
Thx dude!! SOLD!! lol!

I just looked around the viper site and figured out what the guys at this shop was telling me about. I need an interface module in order for the Viper alarm to work with the SS. I input my car make and model and it sent me : XpressKit Universal Transponder Bypass with XKey Port and D2D:49.99.

I also want to purchase the InvisibeamŪ Field Disturbance Sensor, and the
Digital Tilt Motion Sensor. So that's the alarm you suggested with the backup battery siren, and the two things I've found. I think my SS is gonna be a mobile command center! lol! SpyMaster probably can also hook me up with the camera to install on the inside too. Im set! I'm 24 years old,...driving around with a 2010 Camaro SS, every owner should get some sort of aftermarket alarm. Stock won't cut it!
*K&N typhoon CAI
*Aggressive cam.
*Tune
Old 04-28-2010, 01:42 AM   #10
YouseeSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS M6 SIM
did you get Lojack when you bought the car? If so, upgrade to Lojack Early Warning. It comes with a sensor for your key and if the car moves with out the sensor it calls all your phone #'s, emails and texts you a warning that your car is moving. This is good for the pros who will just tow your car.
YouseeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:03 AM   #11
HDDAN

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 2007 HD FLSTC
You can not make a car "theft proof". Alarms that make noise are pretty useless. The next time you hear one going off at the mall take a look to see how many people are paying any attention to it. You can get a pager type alarm that will page you if the car is tampered with. There is a company in Scotsdale AZ called Aritronix that makes these for motorcycles, call them to see if they have car versions. Multiple layers of protection work best. For example, I have a device that locks in between the brake pedal and the floor that is pretty hard to defeat. The steering wheel gadgets are useless because the wheel is designed to bend and a hammer takes care of that. At night my car is in my garage. I have enhanced Lojac that calls my cell, my wifes cell, my home phone, emails my home and emails my work if the car is moved. Get a cable and lock to lock your cover from under the car. It is much harder to steal a car if you must take the time to remove a locked cover. Thieves are lazy and are looking for the easy target. The best way to keep your car from getting stolen is to talk your neighbor into getting a nicer one than yours and to not use any antitheft devices. I am not joking about this, it is one of my motorcycle strategies. The thief will usually go for the easier rip off.
HDDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:52 AM   #12
SRFnSNO

Drives: Blown & Flamed
Have the Viper + Street Eagle GPS on top of it.

I don't go any where with out the car Paging me that some one is bothering my 2010.
The Viper 2 way is good up to 1 mile. for any warnings and alarms.
If it dose alarm I get Texed,Emailed from Street Eagle.
At that point I can track, and Disable the Camaro

I have Tilt & Motion (Prox.) sensors

also when at can Geo fence Car so if it moved out of Fence it notifies you.
I also get a nice insurance Break for having it.
SRFnSNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:31 AM   #13
Mr_Draco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr CLuTcH View Post
Thx dude!! SOLD!! lol!

I just looked around the viper site and figured out what the guys at this shop was telling me about. I need an interface module in order for the Viper alarm to work with the SS.
You don't need the interface module just for the alarm, you need the module if you want remote start.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:17 AM   #14
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouseeSS View Post
did you get Lojack when you bought the car? If so, upgrade to Lojack Early Warning. It comes with a sensor for your key and if the car moves with out the sensor it calls all your phone #'s, emails and texts you a warning that your car is moving. This is good for the pros who will just tow your car.
I have the Viper 5002 and the installer did a great job - also have the tilt sensor and the microphone inside to "listen" for break-ins.

Also, with the LoJack early warning, it takes 20-30 minutes of the car being operated/switched on, without the keyfob before it alerts you! I was sad when I heard that as I wanted to know ASAP!

And as stated, they can always steal your car if they want...mine lives outside and I'm not happy about it, even with the triple alarms...
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote