Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-15-2008, 10:53 AM   #1
babyjulie83
driving! Thanks GM !!!

Drives: 2SS Camaro in ABM!!!
Question do's and dont's of owning new camaro

Hey everyone. I ordered the 2010 camaro yesterday and it will be my first brand new car......

Could all of you more experienced posters give me some do's and dont's....

for example......I always heard that you're not supposed to really put the 'pedal to the metal' until the car has a certain # of miles on it....how many is a general rule? Why?

To keep the exterior paint looking brand new is there some sort of treatment that should be done to the exterior? If so, how often should it be done?

Thanks in advance.....I have no clue what i'm doing!
babyjulie83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:59 AM   #2
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
My engine builder tells me to drive it easy for a hundred miles and then drive iot like you stole it. The reason for this is that you want the engine to break in atv the state you want it to perform the best.

I have always done this with new cars or engines. No harsh engine vibration at high RPM, even in my Yukon.

Others will disagree which is fine. This is just what I believe and do.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:07 AM   #3
SimC33

Drives: 2001 Blk/Blk M6 Camaro SS #899
check out this link to a thread i started about break in. as for keeping it nice and shiny. someone else will chime in here and take care of that

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...t=break+period

Edit* - A few major DON'T'S about getting your new camaro...NO FOOD, NO UNCAPPED DRINKS, AND NOONE ELSE DRIVES IT!!!!
SimC33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:16 AM   #4
GoldFire
Newborn Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Camaro
Definitely don't give into peer pressure and let your buddy drive it. I already have people asking if they can take a spin in it when I get it and no matter who it is the answer is NO. You won't hurt their feelings, just say it is expensive and you have been waiting a long time for it and don't want anything to happen to it, so your policy is NOBODY drives it (except you of course).
Old 10-15-2008, 11:18 AM   #5
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Original clear coats last a long time and stay shiny. If you just keep it clean and wax it once in a while it will stay shiny. I've had my Colorado nearly 2 years now and when i give it a good hand wash it looks brand new. It's Victory Red, The shine is always there.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:39 AM   #6
lalometalik
killer bAnana

Drives: 1985 z28
DONT drink then drive. at least try not to. but its a big no no

"Shut your noise tube, Taco Human!"
lalometalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:43 AM   #7
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalometalik View Post
DONT drink then drive. at least try not to. but its a big no no
That could go a long way to preventing scratches and dents
Old 10-15-2008, 11:45 AM   #8
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Don't crash the mother F****** car!
Old 10-15-2008, 11:50 AM   #9
CHVY4LF
Chevrolet For Life!!

Drives: 07 Chevrolet Silverado Classic
yes, just keep it washed and waxed and use soft cloths to clean, NO BATH TOWELS!!! My dark blue silverado always look better then new after a wash, then an hour later its covered in dust and dirt but thats AZ for you

Future Plate: PNYHNTR
Camaro of Choice: 2010 SS 6.2L 6M IOM
Current Ride: 2007 Silverado Classic Ext. Cab 5.3L DBM

CHVY4LF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:00 PM   #10
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyjulie83 View Post
Hey everyone. I ordered the 2010 camaro yesterday and it will be my first brand new car......

Could all of you more experienced posters give me some do's and dont's....

for example......I always heard that you're not supposed to really put the 'pedal to the metal' until the car has a certain # of miles on it....how many is a general rule? Why?

To keep the exterior paint looking brand new is there some sort of treatment that should be done to the exterior? If so, how often should it be done?

Thanks in advance.....I have no clue what i'm doing!
It should state the break-in period in the manual. When breaking in an engine you should vary the rpms a bit, hilly terrain works best. Avoid highway cruising.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:11 PM   #11
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyjulie83 View Post
For the 1st 100 miles or so, you will want to drive it hard (hard acceleration, accelerating to 55-60 quickly, and hard engine deceleration which is basically just letting your foot off the gas so the car coasts to about 40 and not using the brakes while doing this).

For the first 500 miles or so, don't drive at a constant speed for anymore then a couple mins at a time. You also don't want to exceed 60 mph (some say 65) during this length of time. All of these is because you have to break in the engine and get a good seal on the piston rings except for the last one which is because you also have to break in the breaks and calipers and not doing that one can cause catastrophic break and/or caliper failure during this time.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:27 PM   #12
babyjulie83
driving! Thanks GM !!!

Drives: 2SS Camaro in ABM!!!
Thanks everyone for your help. There will definately not be any drinking and driving.....I don't even do that in my Buick regal.... a taxi cab is way cheaper than a DUI.

I've already had alot of people (esp in my family) that have already asked to drive the camaro when I get it....I said no way in hell.......

I've also decided that the camaro will not be making any trips to walmart with me......everytime i'm there it seems I get scratches on my car......i'll take the buick for that....
babyjulie83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:42 PM   #13
1GMFanatik
Da Blue Beast

Drives: 08 Chevy TBSS
Send a message via Yahoo to 1GMFanatik
I beat the shit outta my RWD TBSS for the first 500 miles, changed the oil and drove normal after. She ran 13.5 at 102mph bone stock and I had NO issues what so ever.. All in your luck I guess..
1GMFanatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:47 PM   #14
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
I see you are getting lots of good advice.

When washing, use microfiber towels...and if you drop one, leave it and get another. No need in getting tiny scratches in your clear coat.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote