Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 05-15-2010, 06:31 PM   #1
jay86

Drives: 2010 Camaro LT RS
V6 Brake Squeal'

Hey guys, new here but have owned my Camaro since May 2009. My brakes recently started squealing (at around 8500 miles). Tried reading up on what this could be caused by and only found information attributing this to the Brembos on the V8. Any info or ideas on what could be causing this on the V6?

Took the car to the dealer and they said my brakes were in good condition and couldn't determine what was causing the "normal" squealing. They contacted GM and were instructed not to touch the brakes. Instead, GM opened up a case number and remarked that this is a known issue with the V8s but not with the V6s.

At this point, is my only option purchasing new brakes? Summer time is right around the corner and its so embarrassing driving around with that stupid squeal.
jay86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:15 PM   #2
deljaso

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS
I have just a few more miles than you (about 8700 now), had mine since last July. I have no squeal on mine at this time.
I don't baby it, but don't beat on it either.
Let us know what you find out!
deljaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:35 PM   #3
SK3256

Drives: Black LT
I have about 10,000 on mine and hear a little squeal when i apply a little pressure to the brakes also when im driving i hear it some times. thought it was just because i needed new brakes. Maybe not now?
SK3256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:16 PM   #4
TekkGuy

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS/A6/Sunroof
Funny, I was just coming on here to post about my brakes. I also have a V6 and it started squealing at around 1000 miles. I have 1400 miles now, and the squealing is BAD. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does happen is usually when I am going rather slowly, like rounding a corner or coming to a stop at a stop sign or red light. If you had your back turned you'd think it was a 20 year old jalopy coming to a stop, not a brand new 2010 Camaro. I mean the squeal is LOUD and ear piercing. I read that the V8 Brembo's do this a lot, but until this post, I didn't read anything about the V6's...

Is this normal on the V6's too? I hope not, it's embarrassing!
Old 05-21-2010, 12:23 PM   #5
JCO2185
RIDING ON AIR

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Summit White
I'm having the same problem with mine. Loud squealing when coming to a stop
JCO2185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:35 AM   #6
Brettscamaro
BrettsCamaro

Drives: Black 2ss Rs
Either dirt or something in the brakes or you didnt break them in fully..I read somethign about the 6's having soft brakes and you need to really hit em like 6 times hard stops...mine squeaked when i had dirt int hem but when she got a bath it was gone.
Brettscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 05:46 PM   #7
jay86

I guess it's not just my v6 then. I would suggest if other people are experiencing this on their 6s to go into the dealer and ask them about it. Maybe if GM gets enough cases they will work on a fix.

I don't think my squeal is due to dirt or anything like that. I wash my car often and asked the dealer to check for rust/dirt and they said I was good.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:39 PM   #8
jay86

So I brought my car in AGAIN for the noise... the squeal has gotten worse! 13,500 miles and they told me I had to replace the brakes at a hefty $800 price tag. Is this normal??? I just think this it's completely odd because at 6000 miles they were telling me my brakes were fine. They said they would save my brake pads for me to show me how bad they've gotten but is it possible that GM just isn't manufacturing the V6s with good enough brakes that are designed to last? If this is the case, WE, the CUSTOMERS, shouldn't have to pay for this.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:09 PM   #9
philthy

Drives: 1971 Monte Carlo/2010 Camaro 2LT
Mine has been to the dealer twice for squeaking brakes. The first time, at about 6,000 miles, they applied adhesive to the pad backing plate and cleaned the rotors and pads. I broke them in correctly when I first got the car and when they did the first repair. The noise came back after about 1,000 miles. I tried the "hard stop" method to clean any glazing that might have occured and it did not help. Originally, it was just when the brakes were lightly applied, then it started doing it lightly after I let off the brake until I got up to speed.

With 10,000 miles on the original pads, I took it back in, insisting something be done. They were really great about it and had me in and out in a hour and a half. This time they replaced the pads at no charge. I know they were replaced since I marked the original pads to ensure they were not pulling a fast one on me. The service advisor said they were redesigned pads and are covered under the warranty. I am now at 14,000 miles and the brakes do not squeal at all.

I would talk to the service manager about getting it handled. If they refuse, escalate it with the Chevrolet Customer Service line and get an area rep involved.

The sound is very annoying and embarassing. No way should it be "normal." And no way the pads should be worn out at 13,000 miles!
1971 Monte Carlo
philthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:53 PM   #10
jay86

So I ended up paying $800 bucks to have my brakes replaced. Now, all of a sudden, they come to the conclusion that the squealing sound was due to the fact that my brakes were completely worn. I told them that I brought my car in twice for the squealing and each service appointment they told me my breaks were "in the green" and were completely fine. I brought my car in at around 6000 miles and again at 9500 miles and checked my records and see the tech checked off that my brakes were in the green both times. I asked them to save my break pads (which they did) and looking at them they do look worn. But now I'm wondering if they may have tried to pull a fast one on me and just switch my brakes with a pair of old, used ones. I can only think of 2 things...

1) The tech wasn't really inspecting my brakes the past 2 service appointments, or

2) I managed to completely burn through my brakes in 4500 miles.

IS THIS EVEN POSSIBLE?

I paid the money because the sound was crazy and I was worried of a potential safety issue. I'm wondering if I should issue some sort of complaint to GM or against the dealer. Is it even possible these brakes are just completely defective?
Old 10-01-2010, 09:07 AM   #11
Livestrg05

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS IOM
I'm having the squealing brakes issue too. I haven't pulled the pads to check the brakes or gone into the dealer yet, so it's not so bad that it's driving me crazy at this point and it seems to be happening only under light braking.
Livestrg05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:03 AM   #12
Alrighty Then

Drives: 2010 V6 M6 Camaro
I'm having the same brake squeal as you guys, my camaro is also a V6. I've had the dealer look it over twice and both times I have been told that the squeal is normal because these are performance brake pads. To me this sounds like a really silly excuse, I can't see GM designing a car that is supposed to squeal when the brakes are used. The noise is worst when brakes are cold and I come to a stop from a slow speed. Any suggestions?
Alrighty Then is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:11 AM   #13
philthy

Drives: 1971 Monte Carlo/2010 Camaro 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alrighty Then View Post
I'm having the same brake squeal as you guys, my camaro is also a V6. I've had the dealer look it over twice and both times I have been told that the squeal is normal because these are performance brake pads. To me this sounds like a really silly excuse, I can't see GM designing a car that is supposed to squeal when the brakes are used. The noise is worst when brakes are cold and I come to a stop from a slow speed. Any suggestions?
Read my response to the OP a few posts above. It is not normal for the brakes to squeal. Take it back to the dealer and insist on new (redesigned) pads. Also, there is no way they would wear down completely at 4500 miles as in Jay86's case (unless he went on an autocross course every day with the car.) I would have never paid a single penny out of my pocket to replace brakes at 4500 miles, much less an crazy amount like $800.
1971 Monte Carlo
philthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:12 AM   #14
SlyJester7
SoCal HT5 *COTW 8/26/13*

Drives: 2013 SS/RS LS3
yea the squealing has happened twice now the first time my dealer replaced the pads (no cost) now 3-4 months later they are squealing again. might discuss it with my dealer but i might just buy hawk pads. . . been seeing good reviews.