Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-04-2010, 05:43 PM   #1
Scheil

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM w\ Silver Stripes
My car feels slow..

I don't know why but my 10 SS\L99 feels slow. Before I explain let me say the only mod I have is a cat-back exhaust from magnaflow (massive thank you to member: spinetexas for that). But to explain on launch, with both traction things off i.e. holding the button for like 10 seconds and power braking my car will only chirp the tires. It doesn't push you into the seat at all in fact the take off has no for lack of a better word violent feel to it, it just gets loud and goes. I base my experience in my 2007 Infinti G35S that I had previously which will do more than chirp the tires when it leaves the line. I don't know what to do, I've done the fuse pull and I have a CAI CAI in route but should I just run it at the track then take it to the dealer. I haven't taken it to the track yet but I intend to. I just feel kinda disappointed about the power. And yes ladies and gentlemen I am very aware it might not be as fast as I like but it is still the prettiest thing on the road. ANY help ideas, opinions, thoughts, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I’m new to muscle cars so I bow to ya’lls superior collective knowledge.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:48 PM   #2
TrackZero

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Hello Scheil, I am experiencing the same exact issue as you are. Take a look at the thread http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86678 it has turned into a thread about my tune, which is never what I was looking for, but if you find something I would be VERY interested.
TrackZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 05:53 PM   #3
Scheil

I read the entire forum which since I didn't want to thread jack you inspired me to write about my own problems. Its good to see jannetty helping you like that thats who I purchased my CAI from today so I am glad im supporting a good company. I am supscribed to Track Zero's thread just to see if he gets a post i might not. Hopefully between us we can figure it out.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:56 PM   #4
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
I apologize, this was meant as a reply on tap shifting on the other forum! Had to two things going at once and F*cked up...

By default the car will start off in second gear unless you put it in M mode AND left-tap it down into 1st! With that and TC off, things should get seriously fun!!

Then once you become accustomed to that and need your next "fix" you will end up like me with a SuperCharger...

Last edited by hypurone; 06-04-2010 at 07:32 PM. Reason: wrong forum!
hypurone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:05 PM   #5
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
By default the car will start off in second gear unless you put it in M mode AND left-tap it down into 1st! With that and TC off, things should get seriously fun!!

Then once you become accustomed to that and need your next "fix" you will end up like me with a SuperCharger...
Please don't spread this information. This information is NOT correct and has been discussed in detail for months (going back to June 09).

ALL L99 A6's start out in 1st gear in D (Drive) and M (Sport) everytime from a stop. If the computer is doing the shifting, the car WILL ALWAYS start out in 1st gear from a stop.

The ONLY time the A6 starts out in 2nd gear is when your in M (Manual/Tap shift mode - you're using the tap shifts) and you don't tap down to 1st. You MUST then tap down to 1st gear to start in first gear. If you don't you'll start out in 1st gear.
The page in the owner manual that discusses this is a page about manual tap shift mode. The entire page is about manual tap shift mode.

But I will repeat. All L99 A6's start out in 1st gear if the computer is doing the shifting (D or S).

1st gear redlines at 37mph.
In D your car will shift from 1st to 2nd gear around 37mph (5700 rpms). That proves you're in 1st gear. If you were in 2nd gear your car wouldn't make a shift until 63 mph (thats redline in 2nd gear).

Trust me. Myself and many of the fastest 1/4 mile times in this forum use D (Drive) and M (Sport) and the computer does the shifting. The car starts out in 1st gear.

Here's the last time we went through this http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ear+L99&page=2

Last edited by SGOS252382; 06-04-2010 at 06:15 PM.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:18 PM   #6
2SSCAMARO

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheil View Post
I don't know why but my 10 SS\L99 feels slow. Before I explain let me say the only mod I have is a cat-back exhaust from magnaflow (massive thank you to member: spinetexas for that). But to explain on launch, with both traction things off i.e. holding the button for like 10 seconds and power braking my car will only chirp the tires. It doesn't push you into the seat at all in fact the take off has no for lack of a better word violent feel to it, it just gets loud and goes. I base my experience in my 2007 Infinti G35S that I had previously which will do more than chirp the tires when it leaves the line. I don't know what to do, I've done the fuse pull and I have a CAI CAI in route but should I just run it at the track then take it to the dealer. I haven't taken it to the track yet but I intend to. I just feel kinda disappointed about the power. And yes ladies and gentlemen I am very aware it might not be as fast as I like but it is still the prettiest thing on the road. ANY help ideas, opinions, thoughts, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I’m new to muscle cars so I bow to ya’lls superior collective knowledge.

As you may already know, your cat back exhaust is not a performance enhancer, just sounds good. So you got a stock L99. How many miles on the engine and how did you break it in? Same type engines are like same type people......some are fast and some are not so fast. Without any dyno numbers or timed logged runs or drag strip times it would be difficult for anyone to make a sound judgement on you car's performance. You need to get some performance numbers and post em up. Then guys on the forum can make some comparisons, judgements, and comments. If you don't have previous drag racing experience, read some of the applicable threads in the DRAG RACING section of this site before you try it out.
2SSCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:42 PM   #7
Scheil

Thank you I'll get those #'s, what about this flash for the ECU from the dealer will that help possibly?
Old 06-05-2010, 10:01 AM   #8
mcdoogle6969

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2008 Heritage 300C
Just because the tires don't chirp doesn't mean the car is slow. If you're car is brand new, then you have a car with brand new tires. Mine didn't chirp when they were new....(which is a good thing because that means I got traction)

As far as pushing you in your seat thing, I don't know what to tell ya...I suggest doing the fuse pull, quite a few L99's lack in power and that pull seems to wake it up. There is a sticky somewhere on the forum which tells you how to do that.
mcdoogle6969 is offline   Reply With Quote