Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Painting the Engine Cover (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61217)

GeorgeM 01-17-2010 11:12 AM

Painting the Engine Cover

To all the Camaro owners who painted their engine covers themselves ($285 option), let me ask:

1. Will the special order dealership 5 oz can of inferno orange spray be enough to paint the cover, or do I need to order another can?

2. After masking, did you spray a primer on the cover or just go directly to color?

GeorgeM

Sevn86 01-17-2010 11:28 AM

I want to know this also...and how much was the paint GeorgeM?

SSE 4 2SS 01-17-2010 02:45 PM

First let me say that I didn't order any GM special color match paint, but my car is RJT so it's a little more common as a base color.

I used dupli-color, which I could not find in RJT, so I took several, ok 7, cans from the shelf and asked the cashier if I could take them out and color compare it to my car...

I found a match, and bought 3 - 5 oz cans of the base color and one can of clear...

If you are painting the silver area of your cover, there is no need to prime it, but...... you do need to scuff sand it. I used 800 grit wet/dry sand paper and sand it until you knock the shine off of it. This ensures your new paint will have something to adhere to. Sand it, wet, dry it off, and if there are any shiny spots, resand that area a little....

As a reminder, sand large areas, don't spot sand, you'll end up with dimples in the finish... :mad0259::thumbdown:

GeorgeM 01-17-2010 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sevn86 (Post 1388976)
I want to know this also...and how much was the paint GeorgeM?

The paint was $12.65 for a 5 oz. can and it had to be ordered. I have not received it yet.

GeorgeM 01-17-2010 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS (Post 1389411)
First let me say that I didn't order any GM special color match paint, but my car is RJT so it's a little more common as a base color.

I used dupli-color, which I could not find in RJT, so I took several, ok 7, cans from the shelf and asked the cashier if I could take them out and color compare it to my car...

I found a match, and bought 3 - 5 oz cans of the base color and one can of clear...

If you are painting the silver area of your cover, there is no need to prime it, but...... you do need to scuff sand it. I used 800 grit wet/dry sand paper and sand it until you knock the shine off of it. This ensures your new paint will have something to adhere to. Sand it, wet, dry it off, and if there are any shiny spots, resand that area a little....

As a reminder, sand large areas, don't spot sand, you'll end up with dimples in the finish... :mad0259::thumbdown:

Thanks for the help. Now I see I need more paint, clearcoat and 800 paper.

Atcer 01-17-2010 04:00 PM

Here is your answer

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeorgeM (Post 1388941)

To all the Camaro owners who painted their engine covers themselves ($285 option), let me ask:

1. Will the special order dealership 5 oz can of inferno orange spray be enough to paint the cover, or do I need to order another can?

2. After masking, did you spray a primer on the cover or just go directly to color?

GeorgeM

you can get duplicolor clear primer for automotive plasics at any autozone. I did 4 coats with 15 minutes inbetween. Then I used the can of SIM on mine and painted only the sides and I had enough leftto put 3 coats on my fuse box cover.

make light coats: :w00t:

DZbob 01-17-2010 04:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A friend painted mine, but he wouldn't tell me how much it cost. :)

SSE 4 2SS 01-17-2010 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS (Post 1379315)
Here is the cover I customized based on views of a few other covers and some inspiration from Camaro5...

I used dupli-color regular paint. After prepping it (cutting out the top with a dremel, and filing it smooth, cleaning and taping and sanding) I painted base coats and then wet sanded it with 800 grit and then heavier color coats and then sanded it again. I then sanded it with 1500 grit wet-dry, and then sprayed it with clear coat. I sanded that with 1500 wet and then applied another coat of clear. I wet sanded that and then buffed the whole thing out with ultra fine buffing compound. It actually has a very deep color appearance...After all else was done, I got some # 8 stainless cap washers and screws and fitted them in the holes running down the center on each side...I used some screen material from Home Depot, gutter screen used to keep leaves out of the gutters, and cut it to fit and then used JB weld to install them...

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeorgeM (Post 1389496)
Thanks for the help. Now I see I need more paint, clearcoat and 800 paper.

Here are a few more items to consider... and this is part of a large thread on the DIY page for engine covers...Dremel, file, screen material,.......... JB weld... lol...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...1&d=1263465048

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...1&d=1263465048

Sevn86 01-17-2010 05:30 PM

What if you have a V6 and want to paint your engine cover? How should I go about doing that since the whole thing is black? I have an ABM Camaro...

kcamarom 01-17-2010 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sevn86 (Post 1389837)
What if you have a V6 and want to paint your engine cover? How should I go about doing that since the whole thing is black? I have an ABM Camaro...

Would like to know too.

DZbob 01-17-2010 06:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

This is what the factory painted cover looks like

Blueclyde 01-17-2010 06:23 PM

I had my dealer paint mine for $85. It came out perfect. Didn't have the patience to try painting myself and definitely was spending $285 to buy a new one.

CatiaJockey 01-17-2010 06:26 PM

Quote:

Check out this thread:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32380

teamlowes48 01-17-2010 06:34 PM

I'm not george but I will tell you that the spray cans from Chevy do not go far. I ordered 2 for my engine cover and fuse box cover.
Prime first due to the texture of the plastic