Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 06-25-2010, 11:18 PM   #1
liquidsmoke
Two Miles An Hour

Drives: SIM 2LT RS
Unhappy iphone 4 (not ios4 w 3G/3GS)

Just wanted to share my experience the last two days using the new iphone 4 in the Camaro.

Unfortunately, i dont have anything good to say. As most people here already know there are issues with iphones since the 3.x update.

With iphone 4, none of these issues are resolved and to be honest they are worse.

When i first plugged in the shinny new iphone 4 initially everything seemed like it was working fine. The menus seemed like they were all there, no incorrect info etc. Then i started skipping through tracks and at about the 3rd or 4th song i skipped i started hearing loud static!! I had to unplug and replug the phone in to stop it.

My first impression was this must be the cellular interference it warns you about when you first plug it in. So i turned airplane mode ON. Tried again, and after a few songs it would start playing static again. So that ruled out any radio interference from the phone.

On my long ride to work (about an hour) i started to notice that the menus were not correct also. Not as screwed up as they were with my iphone 3G but occasionally the information was incorrect. Going in and out of the menu would fix this just as before.

So... time to switch to bluetooth as this is still pretty much unusable.

Bluetooth for the most part is fine, minus the reduced audio quality but thats always been there. But i did run into one issue where sound would just stop playing. The trackbar was still moving on the phone and the song was still playing, but no sound coming out the speakers. Then after a few sec, all the music was playing but at about 2x the speed. Again, the only fix for this was to turn bluetooth off and switch to XM as i was driving and dont want to die screwing with my phone. This specific issue only happened once, but IMO there are some issues with bt in the camaro in general as ive had other issues with it in the past like locking up the whole radio.

personally, im on the fence as to who exactly is to blame for the issues we all are having. If apple is to blame, i would think there would be other cars and a lot of other people pretty pissed. I admit i havnt looked at any other car forums to see if other people were also having issues, but if it was affecting a lot more people than us im sure it would have come up on all the tech sites i visit on a daily basis. And this would be a higher priority for apple to fix. I actually wish this was a 100% apple issue, that way i know there is a better chance of it actually getting fixed sometime in teh near future. GM im not so sure. This is probably so low on there fix it list that it doesn't even exist.

It does comfort me somewhat that there is a GM employee here on the site that was involved with or coded the usb support in the camaro, but it worries me that he hasn't said or implied (correct me if im wrong) that hes actually fixed the issue on his end, testing the issue or anything other than a potential update will come.

This post is getting a little long, so ill cut it soon.

I just hope these issue get fixed soon. Ive had my camaro less than 2 two months now and the radio issues are really spoiling an otherwise fantastic car. I love music, a lot more than i love cars so this is a serious issue for me. I still have hope that either GM or apple will fix this soon, but after the fist attempt to fix this, if its still broken ill have to rip the stock radio out and find something better that works.
liquidsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:35 PM   #2
LS3SSRS

Drives: 2010 IBM SS/RS
Not good.. Was thinking about upgrading to the iPhone 4 myself, but now I dunno.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:03 AM   #3
liquidsmoke
Two Miles An Hour

so after a little quick looking around, it seems that some other cars/radios are also having issues with iphones (3.0 and 4.0) so its not exactly an isolated issue. From what i can see, it seems that we have it a lot better than ford sync users.

Here are some of the links i found with people having similar or worse issues as us.

http://discussions.info.apple.com/me...ageID=11730202
http://discussions.apple.com/thread....63178&tstart=0
http://discussions.apple.com/thread....79424&tstart=0
http://discussions.apple.com/thread....3563&tstart=15
http://blogs.computerworld.com/16394...problem_solved
Old 06-26-2010, 12:35 AM   #4
shinzon
Night Fury

Drives: 2014 ZL1
keeping 3gs with ios4 and JAILBREAK

2014 Black ZL1 - Toothless -
Previous Lovers :2014 1LE , 2010 2SS RS,2004 GTO, 2000 Camaro SS x 2
shinzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 01:37 AM   #5
liquidsmoke
Two Miles An Hour

doing some more testing. After reading some of the threads i linked to, someone suggested to power off the iphone and plug the usb into the car with the phone still off and let it auto turn on and initiate a new handshake, something about a code being sent that identifies the iphone to the usb device.

Things really went south at this point.

when the phone came on, and after a long wait. I iphone 4 displayed this accessory is not compatible with iphone. The car radio display did not display anything and i was unable to use the iphone with the car at all.
Unplugged and plugged in a few times and still same message and nothing changing on the car display.

So... i went and grabbed my sons ipod touch that still has 3.0 on it. Plugged it in and bam everything works without any issues.
Unplugged and plugged in the iphone 4 and this time it only displays the message we all get about cellular interference and the camaro starts to play music from the iphone 4.
If i try to go into the menu, all the artist are listed with no blank spaces. But if i try to go into any sub menu under Artist the radio locks up clears all items from the list and stops playing music.
At this point, i have to turn the car off and back on to rest the radio. Did this about 4-5 times and each time same thing happens.

I still have my iphone 3G with 3.x so im going to go back and test this all over again and see what happens.

but as a general warning if you have an iphone4 do not plug it into the camaro with the power off as it will only make things worse.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:42 AM   #6
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
I have a Pioneer aftermarket deck in my FJ with a USB plug and I get the same static in it as well. It has yet to happen with my iPhone with the 3.x versions, but as I went to update to iOS4... the phone fried itself and I had to send it back to apple today for a replacement... But the static thing is annoying, when I have my music up loud it does it and about blows my ear drumbs!
Old 06-26-2010, 09:01 AM   #7
KidLaser

Drives: 2010 2LT RS
I have iPhone4 as well and get the static thing. I had a 3GS with iOS4 with no issues before this. The static seems to come in at the same point of a specific song. Also when I press the Menu button on the Stereo all the sound cuts out and the PDIM boots the iPhone out about 20 or 30 seconds later.
KidLaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:28 AM   #8
camaro4mybday
"Camaro Joe"

Drives: 2010 SILVER ICE 2LT/RS CAMARO
Send a message via AIM to camaro4mybday
i upgraded my ipod touch to ios4 and menu's went crazy totaly not cool
camaro4mybday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 03:21 PM   #9
Mustang Killa

Drives: Black 2SS
Same issues with my iPhone 4
Mustang Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 05:14 PM   #10
Rcfiddy1
Sold car...

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS #37115
Here is a lesson I have learned awhile ago. Ready? Here it goes.....

DONT BELIEVE THE HYPE!!!! Do not upgrade for at least 3-4 weeks after a upgrade is released. I still have my 3g jailbroken and everything works perfect.
ECS Novi 1500 Supercharged, LS3 conversion, Small blower cam, Alky Meth injection, 3:45 rear, BMR Suspension parts, 1LE Sways, Billy Boat ZL1 dual mode exhaust.
Rcfiddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:47 PM   #11
Pumpkin1LT

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I agree! Loved my jailbroke 3G... Not happy at all with the iPhone4. Bad SIM card, no service, dropped calls, bad reception, screwed up music library, static....horrible phone. And what were they thinking making the bumper the antenna!?

A happy wife is one in the garage getting dirty under her 2010 Camaro!
Pumpkin1LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:54 PM   #12
shinzon
Night Fury

Drives: 2014 ZL1
gigtty my jailbreak brothers!

2014 Black ZL1 - Toothless -
Previous Lovers :2014 1LE , 2010 2SS RS,2004 GTO, 2000 Camaro SS x 2
shinzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:10 PM   #13
3BVert

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro4mybday View Post
i upgraded my ipod touch to ios4 and menu's went crazy totaly not cool
+1 iPod Touch iOS4

EVERY time I upgrade iTunes or iPod, I have issues. When will I ever learn?!
Old 06-27-2010, 03:17 AM   #14
scottcolem

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Im having the same issues. I hope apple fixes this soon.
scottcolem is offline   Reply With Quote