Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 06-28-2010, 07:21 PM   #43
Motorhead79

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Oh failed to mention in my last comment to be patient cause the expected release of the Bulletin is in 2 weeks so my suggestion is to contact your dealership and just give them a heads up that there's a bulletin on it way and to have them contact you as soon as it comes in!!!!!!
Motorhead79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:56 PM   #44
wer2foxs

Drives: 2010 VR SS
Hey everyone, I am so glad I read this thread! I have the same problem with my 1LT going from 1st to 2nd. You have to pull hard down to get it into 2nd. No grinding, no clunking just very hard to get it into 2nd like something is holding it up for a second or two. This has happened from day one. I have since installed a barton short throw which has made it harder to shift. I do like taking off from the light like every one else and it sticks even harder when I take off faster. However I can run through the rest of the gears with no problem. Its kind of funny when taking off in first and then there is this big pause from the sound of the motor until I can get into 2nd and run through the gears. I would not want to challenge anyone from a drag strip with this problem. I really hope this can be fixed! I will go to the thread with the poll as well suscribe to this thread to keep in touch. Now i don't feel like I am going crazy! LOL!
Old 06-28-2010, 08:53 PM   #45
CAMAR0
Loose is Fast!

Drives: Mikes Hard Lemons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead79 View Post
Here is a second recommendation to all of you that i'm noticing your heavy footed like me lol. I've also been told that one of the other problems with the grinding is, well were shifting too fast, and that's what the dealer told me, he backed his story up by a report that GM has announced to the dealerships about how to troubleshoot this issue. If your launching at the traffic light like your staging at the grid for the 1/4 mile drag race the synchros and the clutch just can't change ratio's that quickly. So if your going to be driving aggresive and well i think thats why we bought the car lol. Well here's another suggestion for ya. During the GM natl's there were several vendors, and other Camaro Owners telling me that the Cadillac CTS not the V but the 3.6L CTS from 2005 thru 2007 used the AY6 trans and because thats a Huge performance car for the Cadillac croud there are some aftermarket clutch kits that i've personally looked at that would give you the necessary edge and response were all looking to get out of our AY6 Transmissions do to the fact that its the same configuration transmission. Hope all this new knowledge helps ya out.
Thanks for all the Info!!!

I am going to have to ask them why it grinds on downshifts from 3 to 2... (even when the clutch is fully depressed and its a slow downshift)
CAMAR0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:23 PM   #46
CAMAR0
Loose is Fast!

My other concern is that they built the v6 sports car with a 312hp motor that tachs at 7k... Yet didnt expect us to shift quickly?

RED X

I give Ford props for giving their 6 the same stick as the 8.

Last edited by CAMAR0; 06-28-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:25 PM   #47
nak3dsnake

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead79 View Post
2nd after much discussion a major culprit to our issue is the actual gearing in to transmission. 1st gear's ratio is 4.48, then second is 2.48. Thats a huge jump, so the faster the RPM's the harder the synchros are working to the mesh the gearing correctly.
I was told the same thing by the dealer. To try and find the "sweet spot" as he called it that didnt make it bind.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:28 PM   #48
75rusty
awesome!

Drives: 07 Jetta WB, '92 GTI 16vT, '76 LUV
Well, just dropped my car off.

Hopefully I can have it back by the weekend...
75rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:51 AM   #49
CAMAR0
Loose is Fast!

Good luck rusty, hope you get it solved!

Let us know how it goes / what they have to say.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:24 AM   #50
MIKnam67
MIC

Drives: 2012 SSRS 6sp man Blk
Angry V6 Manual 1st to 2nd grind

I talked to service manager today about this problem and he was not aware of a problem with the camaro V6 manual. THey have sold a large number of SS's and V6 auto's but only a few of the V6 manuals. I told him I was aware of a bulletin coming out in the next 2 weeks about this problem. He did mention that they have a number of corvettes with the problem and a bulletin came out recently about them. He read it to me and it basicly said GM engineers were working on it but no service recommendations at this time. The cause is that shifting too fast will cause the trans. to bypass the synchronizer gear from 1st to 2nd gear which causes the grind. This is probablly due to the big difference in the 1st gear gearing and the 2nd gear gearing as mentioned in Motorhead79 message. He also mentioned the thicker trans. fluid as probably being part of the cause making it shift slower. This thicker fluid may be necessary do to that gearing difference so it causes a slow shift. So in other words shift slower. He agreed that a person buys a corvette or camaro with a manual to drive and shift agressively so it doesn't make sense but until GM comes out with a cure we are stuck with a slower than desired 1st to 2nd gear shift.
Until that bulletin comes out we are slow shifting. DUMB!!

Last edited by MIKnam67; 06-29-2010 at 04:20 PM.
MIKnam67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:41 AM   #51
CAMAR0
Loose is Fast!

In my case Synthetic made it "feel" smoother on most shifts but it is grinding more often.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:44 AM   #52
MIKnam67
MIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMAR0 View Post
In my case Synthetic made it "feel" smoother on most shifts but it is grinding more often.

After thinking about your comment I think the thicker trans fluid slows shifting which is what they want? Synthetic might help it shift quicker which increases problem.

Just guess on my part.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:19 PM   #53
CAMAR0
Loose is Fast!

My stock fluid had metal shavings in it. I would recomend having your dealer swap the fluid if your going to do it so that they can see if there is any metal shavings like I had. When I took my car in for service they checked the fluid and since they didnt see the metal they didnt tear further into it.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:21 PM   #54
MIKnam67
MIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKnam67 View Post
I talked to service manager today about this problem and he was not aware of a problem with the camaro V6 manual. THey have sold a large number of SS's and V6 auto's but only a few of the V6 manuals. I told him I was aware of a bulletin coming out in the next 2 weeks about this problem. He did mention that they have a number of corvettes with the problem and a bulletin came out recently about them. He read it to me and it basicly said GM engineers were working on it but no service recommendations at this time. The cause is that shifting too fast will cause the trans. to bypass the synchronizer gear from 1st to 2nd gear which causes the grind. This is probablly due to the big difference in the 1st gear gearing and the 2nd gear gearing as mentioned in Motorhead79 message. He also mentioned the thicker trans. fluid as probably being part of the cause making it shift slower. This thicker fluid may be necessary do to that gearing difference so it causes a slow shift. So in other words shift slower. He agreed that a person buys a corvette or camaro with a manual to drive and shift agressively so it doesn't make sense but until GM comes out with a cure we are stuck with a slower than desired 1st to 2nd gear shift.
Until that bulletin comes out we are slow shifting. DUMB!!
!!
Old 06-29-2010, 04:52 PM   #55
CAMAR0
Loose is Fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKnam67 View Post
!!
I agree that this does not make sense at all..

Did he hint at any time frame for the TSB? The GM customer service rep I spoke with today is supposed to call back on Friday with an "action plan" for the issue.

I think its going to come down to me paying the dealer to pull the inspection cover to prove something is wrong.

Last edited by CAMAR0; 06-29-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:18 PM   #56
CAMAR0
Loose is Fast!

HOLY CRAP... THIS ISNT JUST A CAMARO ISSUE... ITS AN AY6 ISSUE PERIOD... READ POST #2 FROM A TOYOTA FORUM!!! AHHH

Re: Aisin AY6 Transmission Research?
Mike, Yes we have. And we have determined that this stock transmission is CRAP. This is why after crying,throwing temper tantrums,arguing with Toyota and embarrassing ourselves doing a high RPM 1st to 2nd GRINDING gear shift that Allan Phillips is developing a T-56 swap. Why don't you join us in the group buy. http://www.customtacos.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=142459

http://www.customtacos.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=145475

http://www.customtacos.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=140810

http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/...ad.php?t=34962

The good news is that his company is developing an AY6 to T56 swap kit for the Toyota (maybe I can do this after warranty???)

This is depressing!

Last edited by CAMAR0; 06-29-2010 at 05:45 PM.