Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 09:18 PM   #113
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA FAST View Post
At least laser isn't too widely used, I will assume that since from your personal experiences it seems to be pain to operate. From what I heard here I would be concerned to used any sort of Jammer. I just want something to detect radar in a reasonable amount of time to slow down. A few people here seem to believe that once you detect Radar it's too late, but I don't understand that.

Example, if someone is using Radar to detect peoples speed hundreds of yards down the road wouldn't an on dash detector alert you to this? Up until now I didn't think a Radar Gun had to be aimed directly at you for the detector to alert you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesh View Post
Your correct it doesnt. Laser is the one that once its detected its to late, hence the jammers. The top of the line detectors can pickup a radar from 1/2 mile away with no problems.
Nooooot exactly...That's what the last guy I got said too as he flew by at 105.

Radar units have a "hold" position. The hold allows the officer to point the radar unit towards the identified speeding target without transmitting. Obviously without transmitting any waves your detector does not alert, once the "hold" position is released it immediately transmits to your vehicle and subsequently it is "too late".

Now what you have seen and probably noticed is some troopers/officers that run their radar 100% of the workday/shift as they travel up and down the highway. This is where the detector is handy because you WILL notice him a mile down the road before he ever sees you. I personally don't do that....for one....speed isnt a huge concern of mine. So I will actually wait till I see and identify someone I know for sure is speeding then activate my radar unit within 500 feet and your detector will not alert until activated and by then I already have my reading...again this is why I caution people who use jammers or now ..shifters? I have been running the same stretch of road as most people who work patrol do and I can look at a vehicle and tell you within 5 mph how fast you are going. I don't know if its required elsewhere, but it is required in Florida to be able to visually estimate prior to becoming radar/laser certified. If I identify you at 85 in a 55, you are going to be stopped regardless if I get no reading from my unit and it will stand in court based on my years of experience and training.

In short...if the unit is used correctly and is not left ON and running all day long then yes, it is possible to transmit and catch you prior to your detector alerting. It can't alert if I don't transmit.....this obviously is much harder for you the driver at night when you can't see an officer. During the day time it is obviously much easier to identify an officer further down the road.

Again, this is not to bash anyone I don't mind giving out some "secrets" because if you are a speeder you are going to keep speeding regardless and eventually it will bite you. My buddy was a religious 20 over speeder, hit a pedestrian two years ago and will be in jail for 5 years for his speed alone. EVEN THOUGH the ped did not cross at the intersection and he will probably lose in civil liability cases as well. Trust me, there are ALOT worse things than cops and tickets.

And there aint no laser shifter or jammer that can defeat the plane..lol
Old 01-04-2009, 09:30 PM   #114
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post
I don't know if its required elsewhere, but it is required in Florida to be able to visually estimate prior to becoming radar/laser certified. If I identify you at 85 in a 55, you are going to be stopped regardless if I get no reading from my unit and it will stand in court based on my years of experience and training.
It's this way in North Carolina as well. Here they can write a speeding ticket for a minimum of 10 over based on visual alone.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:23 AM   #115
Hesh

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro Vin 34334
Yes I understand the use of the hold and know of it. But you do get residule from other cars in front of you being hit first. If you are out by yourself and get tagged then its all on you being a dumbass. Thanks for giving up some of your info as well brantly. Radar Roy on the site I mentioned above is a wealth of info to anyone willing to read. Best for the money around the $500 would be the STI Driver from Beltronics. It is the only undetectable radar detector on the market. Proven with any of the radar detectors to be completly invisable. Not just VG2 but Stalcar as well. Great range and all around best for the money spent. The site I used to review to get one in my price range was the site mentioned above. Take a look there if you are in the market for a detector.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:52 AM   #116
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
I have personal experience with that one... Kinda of a crappy deal but the judge was real cool about it.

In CA when driving on the freeway and pulling a trailer the speed limit is 55mph. While everyone else is allowed to drive 75mph. Its a scam to give truck drivers more tickets. But the law also applies to anyone towing a trailer on the freeway. So, I was towing mine and my buddies quads to Yuma for some dune riding. I'm driving the speed limit 75, and the next thing I know I'm getting pulled over. He tells me I was paced by a helicopter going 20 over the speed limit. I say no way he says yes way and points to the speed limit sign about 50 yards in front of where he pulled me over. I think it reads something like "Trucks towing 55 speed limit" And I say, I thought that was just for big Semi's. He says nope that's for anyone towing anything....

So, I take a day of leave, (I'm still in the Navy at the time) go to court, plead guilty, and ask the judge for special consideration. He says, what are you thinking? I explain my confusion with the law, and that I took time off work to dive out to El Centro (1.5 hours form San Deigo) to speak with him and I'd like to keep the ticket off my record so my insureance doesn't go up.

The judge was super cool and said, "here's what I'll do, Reduce the ticket to $50.00 Allow him to attend traffic school for free. How's that?

Pretty cool I thought... I'm still pissed about that stupid speed while towing law...
Old 01-05-2009, 08:41 PM   #117
miami69

Drives: 2004 Infiniti G35 sedan
Quote:

Radar units have a "hold" position. The hold allows the officer to point the radar unit towards the identified speeding target without transmitting. Obviously without transmitting any waves your detector does not alert, once the "hold" position is released it immediately transmits to your vehicle and subsequently it is "too late".
The purpose of the radar detector is to detect other cars being clocked ahead of you. As you point out, if you are detecting your own car being clocked, it's too late. The problem is radar detector users who don't understand this concept.

Quote:
again this is why I caution people who use jammers or now ..shifters?
You are confusing radar jamming (which is illegal) with laser shifting (which is legal in FL and works very well to block the laser reading).

Quote:
If I identify you at 85 in a 55, you are going to be stopped regardless if I get no reading from my unit and it will stand in court based on my years of experience and training.
This is exactly why I pointed out in an earlier post that 20mph is pretty much the max over the speed limit I would travel, even with my complete system. The whole point of radar detecting and laser shifting (jamming) is to buy enough time to slow down to the desired speed. With radar detection, the point is to detect you clocking other vehicles ahead of me, so I am going to slow down so that by the time you see me I'm already doing 55. Regarding laser shifting, although you will see me as you are targeting me with the laser, you will not have any reading. I would then slow down and deactivate the shifting so when you do laser me I will be doing 55. I'm not sure how this would ever play out in court (maybe it would), but in all the laser shifting sessions I have had no one ever came after me, even after multiple attempts front and rear in the same session of trying to read me . . . and this includes a stretch of I75 in Collier County where the Sheriff's office there loves to write speeding tickets and the judges will double your fine just for contesting it!

Of course, as you stated in an earlier post, you're not going to tag too many people doing only 20 over, but other agencies are not as generous as you.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:57 AM   #118
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by miami69 View Post
The purpose of the radar detector is to detect other cars being clocked ahead of you. As you point out, if you are detecting your own car being clocked, it's too late. The problem is radar detector users who don't understand this concept.
You're right, but what I am saying and warning others is I don't just leave mine running. If I have a pack of 10 cars in front you for example...and I can visually identify not one of them is speeding I wont turn it on. I will wait until I can get a clear visual and reading of only your vehicle and then operate the system because I have IDed you as the speeder. Now obviously if you are paying attention to the roadway you should see the cop during the day time, a little more difficult at night...I am fully aware that tagging a vehicle a mile in front of you will alert YOUR radar. So unless I see him doing 25+, I wont waste my time, which wont alert the poster who asked the question above I will wait till I have a clear shot of him....that's all...either way, 9 times out of 10 if you have a detector you are usually pretty safe during the day time. Night can be tricky for both us and the "violator".
Old 01-06-2009, 03:21 AM   #119
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
I've never much seen the point of speeding on the highway. The fastest I've ever gone in a vehicle is 100, in my old camaro, and I went to a track to do it. It wasn't that great. Personally, I much more enjoy the thrill of hard acceleration and hard cornering (and do neither to any extreme on public roads). On the highway I keep it at 5-7 over. Going slower helps me get better fuel economy anyway.
- Xanthos

P.S. - I do use a radar detector - I got it for 75 dollars about two years after my only ticket. I've been driving for 6 years, got one ticket about a month after getting my license and learned my lesson. I've never gotten another ticket, I've never been in an accident of any kind. I've attended two defensive driving courses, both voluntarily.

My insurance is still higher than my fiances, and she's three and a half years younger than me, drives a more valuable vehicle, has never taken defensive driving, and has been in an accident. You think its injustice for you to be discriminated against?

P.P.S. - Brantley, how do you know the people you pull over are military unless you see their CAC or their uniform - you said you give them special treatment? I'm only asking because I'm ARNG and I didn't know if it came up when you ran my drivers license or anything.

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Old 01-06-2009, 12:20 PM   #120
dieseldave24v
PowerStroke this Ford boy

Drives: Like Don Garlits "Big Daddy"
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanthosV6 View Post
I've never much seen the point of speeding on the highway. The fastest I've ever gone in a vehicle is 100, in my old camaro, and I went to a track to do it. It wasn't that great. Personally, I much more enjoy the thrill of hard acceleration and hard cornering (and do neither to any extreme on public roads). On the highway I keep it at 5-7 over. Going slower helps me get better fuel economy anyway.
- Xanthos

P.S. - I do use a radar detector - I got it for 75 dollars about two years after my only ticket. I've been driving for 6 years, got one ticket about a month after getting my license and learned my lesson. I've never gotten another ticket, I've never been in an accident of any kind. I've attended two defensive driving courses, both voluntarily.

My insurance is still higher than my fiances, and she's three and a half years younger than me, drives a more valuable vehicle, has never taken defensive driving, and has been in an accident. You think its injustice for you to be discriminated against?

P.P.S. - Brantley, how do you know the people you pull over are military unless you see their CAC or their uniform - you said you give them special treatment? I'm only asking because I'm ARNG and I didn't know if it came up when you ran my drivers license or anything.

He can identify them by one of two ways.

When I get pulled over I always hand the Officer my DL and my Military ID.

Not to mention the car will have a DOD sticker on the windshield.

Hey big man let me hold a dollar
Old 01-06-2009, 04:08 PM   #121
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldave24v View Post
He can identify them by one of two ways.

When I get pulled over I always hand the Officer my DL and my Military ID.

Not to mention the car will have a DOD sticker on the windshield.
Only for active duty - I don't get no stinkin DOD sticker. But I'm not active duty. Whats the purpose of handing over your Mil. ID? I just give them my driver's license.
- Xanthos

Old 01-06-2009, 06:22 PM   #122
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Drives: 2009 Escape/2007 Ridgeline
Quote:

Now what you have seen and probably noticed is some troopers/officers that run their radar 100% of the workday/shift as they travel up and down the highway. This is where the detector is handy because you WILL notice him a mile down the road before he ever sees you. I personally don't do that....for one....speed isnt a huge concern of mine. So I will actually wait till I see and identify someone I know for sure is speeding then activate my radar unit within 500 feet and your detector will not alert until activated and by then I already have my reading...again this is why I caution people who use jammers or now ..shifters? I have been running the same stretch of road as most people who work patrol do and I can look at a vehicle and tell you within 5 mph how fast you are going. I don't know if its required elsewhere, but it is required in Florida to be able to visually estimate prior to becoming radar/laser certified. If I identify you at 85 in a 55, you are going to be stopped regardless if I get no reading from my unit and it will stand in court based on my years of experience and training.

In short...if the unit is used correctly and is not left ON and running all day long then yes, it is possible to transmit and catch you prior to your detector alerting. It can't alert if I don't transmit.....this obviously is much harder for you the driver at night when you can't see an officer. During the day time it is obviously much easier to identify an officer further down the road.

Again, this is not to bash anyone I don't mind giving out some "secrets" because if you are a speeder you are going to keep speeding regardless and eventually it will bite you. My buddy was a religious 20 over speeder, hit a pedestrian two years ago and will be in jail for 5 years for his speed alone. EVEN THOUGH the ped did not cross at the intersection and he will probably lose in civil liability cases as well. Trust me, there are ALOT worse things than cops and tickets.

Well what if you use that method on a car say a half mile ahead of me? Wouldn't a detector on my dash alert me to that? If so I would just have to drive slow until I pass the cop car. Thats a shame about your buddy, he should have been more cautious especially with pedestrians around. Thankfully you don't find many pedestrians on the highway.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:32 PM   #123
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

PA Fast, I'm a libertarian so for the most part I really don't care how you exercise your free will.

But I must say it sounds to me like you're on a very short road to somewhere you really don't want to be.
- Xanthos

Old 01-06-2009, 11:03 PM   #124
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Drives: 2009 Escape/2007 Ridgeline
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanthosV6 View Post
PA Fast, I'm a libertarian so for the most part I really don't care how you exercise your free will.

But I must say it sounds to me like you're on a very short road to somewhere you really don't want to be.
- Xanthos
Sigh, I think I just got tired of this thread. :(
Old 01-07-2009, 05:34 AM   #125
kevin2323

Drives: challenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA FAST View Post
Sigh, I think I just got tired of this thread. :(
me too ...im going back to the is this CGM thread.:(
Old 01-07-2009, 08:09 AM   #126
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Very rarely do anyone who I work with on nights use the laser...I think it is more of a day shift thing due to the fact you can pin point a vehicle in heavy and light traffic conditions.

Its just a royal pain in the rear. A b---- to set up, a b---- to calibrate, and a b---- to test before and after shift per statute requirements. Radar is just click and point...

I have no problem with radar detectors, mainly because we can establish pretty decent hiding spots so it makes it an even playing field. Take away the detectors and jammers, then I will sit with all my lights on in the median..hahaha...

I will be completely honest....If I stop you for a moving violation regardless if it involves speed, I may be more inclined to write a citaiton if you have a detector. Its just discretion.

As for the above stated comments, laser shifters are illegal in the state of Florida as well a federal offense? Not 100% on that...I have experience with only one case and the State managed to find a Felony Charge...it may not be specified clearly but that will land you a heafty fine coupled with a revoked driver's license. Any versed officer who has been running radar/laser for more than two-three years can look at a vehicle and know how fast it is going. If you are doing 30, its case law that even a citizen not trained in speed measurement can estimate 30 over. I don't say this to be rude..only from an educational stand point...if you are seen doing 30 over you can be stopped, cited, and your detector can be removed and confirmed without a warrant that it is not a jammer due to reasonable suspicion of a federal offense. Regardless if the jammer worked properly...If I can't get a reading for 10 straight seconds, I am going to check it. Again, not to be rude, I just don't wanna see any of my fellow camaro ethusiasts tied up on this.

The reason you aren't stopped for doing 20 over on the interstate is because most of us don't really care for 20+. I don't even stop until 30 over. That's 100 in a 70s in the north portion of Florida and some along tampa......85 in the 55s and thats more than generous.

Laser jammers are 100% legal in florida

http://www.radarbusters.com/legalissuesarticle.cfm

Closed Thread