Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-26-2010, 02:09 PM   #29
Papa T

Drives: 2011 2LT RJT, 6A, 19" polished
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfan View Post
I need someone from Chicago to chime in on this. I want to pull the trigger on a SS but hate driving in winter in Chicago. It can be very cold, lot's of snow, ice, slush, etc. I have my Rav4 now that is awesome in the snow, but don't think I can afford two vehicles.
OK I do not live in Chicago, but I do live in North Western Vermont. We also get a lot of snow, ice, slush...
I bought a V6 Camaro, spent the money for dedicated rims and snow tires, so I can drive the Camaro 95% of the year. I kept my 2002 Rav4 as it was paid off, for those really bad days. Having the Camaro as the only vehicle, seem like you are setting yourself up for some "No Go" days!! Camaro is very low to the ground!! Back in the day, my only car was a 1976 Chevy El Camino. I got around OK but it had a little more ground clearance. So only having the Camaro is doable but there will be some tuff days.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:44 AM   #30
Bearfan

Drives: Dream Car: 2SS/RS
That's what I am afraid of. I really need to pay off my Rav4. Then I can get the second car. The plus is, the longer I wait, the cheaper the 2010 will be. By then the convertible and z28 will be available and maybe I can pick up a members 2010 ss from here at a decent price.
Bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:08 AM   #31
Papa T

Quote:
That's what I am afraid of. I really need to pay off my Rav4. Then I can get the second car. The plus is, the longer I wait, the cheaper the 2010 will be. By then the convertible and z28 will be available and maybe I can pick up a members 2010 ss from here at a decent price.
Sounds like a good plan!!
Old 10-27-2010, 10:56 AM   #32
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
Learn to idle! cool tires get better traction. Once you start spinning, you make heat and ice so remember to idle up that hill rather than trying to power up.
keep a couple of cheap carpet runners rolled up and if you get stuck you can tuck them up to your rear tires for some instant traction and a run at something.
When the rear starts to come out from behind you, let off the gas and steer into the slide.
If you are in an automatic, and you're trying to stop but not able to, slip your shifter into neutral and tap-tap-tap your brakes instead of mashing on them.
Buy a beater-with-a-heater for next year

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:27 AM   #33
Gatekeeper

Drives: ^ That SS
This is as simple as black and white

SUMMER

WINTER

I live in Calgary Alberta and I bought this truck, insured it and registered it for LESS than Steel 20" rims and Good winter tires to fit the profile

You really dont want all the rock chips from the gravel and the chemicals they spray on the road all caked onto your car, most likely in places that will hardly ever get washed
Gatekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:20 PM   #34
CamaroSue

Drives: 2019 Corvette GS, 2023 ZL1
Quote:
I need someone from Chicago to chime in on this. I want to pull the trigger on a SS but hate driving in winter in Chicago. It can be very cold, lot's of snow, ice, slush, etc. I have my Rav4 now that is awesome in the snow, but don't think I can afford two vehicles.

I drove the SS up until right before Christmas with no problem, and brought it back out March 1. Then in January and February I switched over to my 2002 Z28 that has all season tires. This will be the 9th winter with the Z28 and I have always gotten around. And as I recall, if you get the SS without the RS package, the car comes with 19” all season tires, not the 20” summer tires – I’m sure someone will correct me if that is wrong.

You may have a rough commute or two, but I haven’t found it painful enough not to have a Camaro (or two)!!!
Old 10-27-2010, 02:29 PM   #35
Papa T

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSue View Post
I drove the SS up until right before Christmas with no problem, and brought it back out March 1. Then in January and February I switched over to my 2002 Z28 that has all season tires. This will be the 9th winter with the Z28 and I have always gotten around. And as I recall, if you get the SS without the RS package, the car comes with 19” all season tires, not the 20” summer tires – I’m sure someone will correct me if that is wrong.

You may have a rough commute or two, but I haven’t found it painful enough not to have a Camaro (or two)!!!
Not 100% sure, but I believe all SS models come with 20" summer tires???
LT (Non-RS) comes with the 19" All seasons. That is what I have, a 2LT. Then I invested in a set of P Scorpion Ice & Snow tires and rims from the TireRack. So I am good to go!
Old 11-22-2010, 09:10 PM   #36
norton750

Drives: 2010 2LT sumit white
first big snow of the year this weekend. I have studed Firestone Winterforce tires on all 4 corners. I have owned 4 wheel drive, all wheel drive, front wheel drive and mostly rear wheel drive. I will say without a doubt this Camaro is the best handaling rig I have ever driven. the stabilitrack and traction control keep it on the straight and narrow like it's on rails. This car is way safer than my truck in this storm we had.
norton750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:22 PM   #37
GQ4Life

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by norton750 View Post
first big snow of the year this weekend. I have studed Firestone Winterforce tires on all 4 corners. I have owned 4 wheel drive, all wheel drive, front wheel drive and mostly rear wheel drive. I will say without a doubt this Camaro is the best handaling rig I have ever driven. the stabilitrack and traction control keep it on the straight and narrow like it's on rails. This car is way safer than my truck in this storm we had.
Weird my stability & traction don't kick in right away. I have drifted in snow. We putting snow tires on my dads 653wHP (750HP) silver automatic. Let u know how that goes. Told dad he better drive in manual mode to stay in high gears
2015 Corvette Z06.. Lime Rock Park 1:01; Watkins Glen 2:14; Thompson Speedway 1:21
GQ4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:04 PM   #38
Black_2SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS HotWheels Edition
You just gotta know what your doing...and have decent all season tires!!!

Black_2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:11 AM   #39
20Camaro11

Drives: SS
Car and Driver or Motor Trend (can not remember which one) had a article some 10-15 years ago showing how a properly equipped rear wheel drive vehcile could outperform many vehicles equipped with only all seasonal tires. Winter tires are awesome. If you are that concerned, throw some weight in the back. I just don't understand the fuss. Drive what you got...just don't drive past its capabilities and all is good.
20Camaro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:26 AM   #40
senadin

Drives: 2011 IBM Camaro M6 LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
This is as simple as black and white

SUMMER

WINTER

I live in Calgary Alberta and I bought this truck, insured it and registered it for LESS than Steel 20" rims and Good winter tires to fit the profile

You really dont want all the rock chips from the gravel and the chemicals they spray on the road all caked onto your car, most likely in places that will hardly ever get washed

I call BS that this truck costed you less than 1600$ Because frankly this is how much ST4 RIMS and Blizak are gona cost me. If you did paid less than 1600$ that must have been from a friend and not a private sale.
senadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:51 AM   #41
jmaryt

Drives: 2010 cgm LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wylde1 View Post
it's not a sin at all. If winter tires weren't so expensive I'd be doing the same. But I figure, for the $1000 you'll spend on tires you can get a winter beater and save the chances of some idiot sliding into you. Thats really my only worry with winter driving, and I worry about that in every car I've ever owned.

just a bit of weight in the back and good winter tires you'll be laughin'. 2nd gear takeoffs are a good idea. I even used to do it in 3rd sometimes in my truck if it was really icy outside.

the #1 biggest mistake people make driving in winter is thinking they can drive the same speeds and stop in the same distance as they can in the summer. Give people more space, give yourself more time to stop and take it easy.
as foolish as this may sound!..if ya can,don't drive it in bad weather!..i mean,if ya stay in while it's snowing,then a lot of the worry is mitigated!..
again,IF ya can,wait for the roads to be plowed,and treated BEFORE you venture out,then all will be fine!..the car is heavy!..(plenty of ballast!)..has traction control,and stability control,along with anti-lock brakes,and (posi) if ya have a manual...if ya can afford dedicated snows,even better,but all-season tires will get ya through too!..i know!.i drove mine last winter,and no problems at all!..just keep your speeds down,and don't tailgate!
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:04 AM   #42
jmaryt

Drives: 2010 cgm LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_2SS View Post
You just gotta know what your doing...and have decent all season tires!!!

this is correct!..don't try to over speed for the conditions,and let the car with it's weight get ya home!
whatever you do,make sure you stay away from the car in front of you!..give yourself a chance to brake and slow down,let the car's traction controls
work for ya!..if you are talkin' stick,posi will help too!
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inclement weather, snow, snow tires, winter