Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 06-20-2011, 06:25 AM   #99
WE485

Drives: 2010 SS
:troll:

1996 Z28
04 GTO
2010 SS
2011 Avalanche
WE485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:10 AM   #100
Shadowsong

Drives: 2014 Mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderbuddy View Post
Real simple for me I'd rather have a Hyundia than a Piece of Ford. I've had:
1966 Ford Fairlane, Its was a piece of junk, Had a 200 straight Six
1967 Ford Fairlane Ranchero, gave it a try, had to sell it because of transmission went bad 3 mths after buying it.
1970 Ford galaxie 500, engine smoked more than the bar maids
1973 Ford grand torino, 460 PI this car was so heavy it could not even get out of it's own way. plus the valve seals went bad.

I've had nothing from Ford but junk.

And I'm sure the Mustang is nothing but junk.
So... because all the Fords you owned that were built in the 60s and 70s were junk... the Fords built now, DECADES later are junk..? Jesus you sound just like my old man, he has the same philosophy with Dodge vehicles..

Let me tell ya (even though I know it isn't going to change your mind..) my 2005 Mustang, is NOT junk. GREAT interior (not as nice as current generation cars, but great for 2005), NO mechanical problems EVER, and runs like a champ, no matter how hot, how cold, or how hard I run her, and it's been this way since I drove her off the lot 6 years ago..

My buddys 2009 Challenger, Interior that would put some luxury cars to shame, no mechanical problems, runs even stronger than my Mustang..

People like you and my old man are living in the dark, go out and test drive a new Ford, ANY new Ford.. you don't have to be looking to buy or anything, just check out the quality.. I had my Father drive the aforementioned Challenger, and it changed his mind REAL quick. People need to wake up man, it is 2011! Things are drastically different than the 60s-70s...

/rant off... lol
Shadowsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:29 AM   #101
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbt View Post
Totally incorrect...

I have owned each of the current 3 pony cars. The 2011+ Mustang GT is the best bang for the buck period and responds to bolt-ons best.

To run the times in a 2010+ Camaro that I have run in my Mustang requires a power adder which is another $5K plus in mods. I have about $3.5K in my current mods and that includes suspension, clutch, drive shaft, etc... My investment in power mods is ~$1,900. You tell me which one is the better investment?
I can't agree with this if by power adder you mean forced induction. If chevy had put some other motor in the Camaro SS than an LS3 I might be with you, but if there is ANYTHING at all that the LS series does, is make gobs of power completely N/A.

Maybe you have a point with the price out the door, I don't know, I haven't personally run the numbers, but to say an LS3 needs a power adder is crazy.

Either way cars are bad investment as it is, and if you want to get into price points then buying used is the way to go. I'm sure I could find an 11 second foxbody for under $20K.

Quote:
Damn sure not what we have seen at our local track. In fact, there is a 2010 Camaro SS A6 car with a ProCharger, LSx intake, cam, full exhaust, tune and drag radials running 11.4's in much better air than I ran the 11.6 in which was 2,500' above SL. Correct that down and that is an 11.29@121 with a terrible 1.68 60' time. We can piss and moan about it all day long but those are cold hard facts. I have yet to see a N/A 2010+ Camaro SS break out of the 12's at our track. The same car I mentioned, pre-blower, was running 12.4's. The owner is a super nice guy.
I don't know man, that is anecdotal evidence, just because you haven't seen it at you track doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Last edited by Rock36; 06-21-2011 at 02:47 AM.
Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:07 AM   #102
wbt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock36 View Post
I can't agree with this if by power adder you mean forced induction. If chevy had put some other motor in the Camaro SS than an LS3 I might be with you, but if there is ANYTHING at all that the LS series does, is make gobs of power completely N/A.

Maybe you have a point with the price out the door, I don't know, I haven't personally run the numbers, but to say an LS3 needs a power adder is crazy.

Either way cars are bad investment as it is, and if you want to get into price points then buying used is the way to go. I'm sure I could find an 11 second foxbody for under $20K.

I don't know man, that is anecdotal evidence, just because you haven't seen it at you track doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
Not saying they can't put down damn good dyno numbers but backing that up with a supporting ET seems to be the problem. I come from a pushrod background and there are several designs out by GM and Chrysler that are great including the LSx, 5.7 Hemi and new 392. Back in the day all I had to work with was crappy factory heads with thermactor bumps and trickled air through them.

As mentioned, the issue with the Camaro is not power but weight and the IRS. Neither work well for going down the 1320.

I have 0 issues accepting results from other tracks. GMRULZ has found a nice combo that works. I would love to see his car run in person and would be interested to know what the D/A was when he ran sub 11's. I would like to see more like it at our track. It just hasn't happened and is the only concrete comparison I can make.

BTW - I built an 11 sec. Foxbody for ~$2,500 in the late '90's. It was a blast to drive but didn't have any of the creature comforts of modern pony cars that run better.

A few pics from back then:

wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:11 AM   #103
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Not saying they can't put down damn good dyno numbers but backing that up with a supporting ET seems to be the problem. I come from a pushrod background and there are several designs out by GM and Chrysler that are great including the LSx, 5.7 Hemi and new 392. Back in the day all I had to work with was crappy factory heads with thermactor bumps and trickled air through them.

As mentioned, the issue with the Camaro is not power but weight and the IRS. Neither work well for going down the 1320.

I have 0 issues accepting results from other tracks. GMRULZ has found a nice combo that works. I would love to see his car run in person and would be interested to know what the D/A was when he ran sub 11's. I would like to see more like it at our track. It just hasn't happened and is the only concrete comparison I can make.

BTW - I built an 11 sec. Foxbody for ~$2,500 in the late '90's. It was a blast to drive but didn't have any of the creature comforts of modern pony cars that run better.
Cool, and I don't disagree with that. I guess I was thinking more about the LS1 Camaros that could pull 11s completely N/A. But that was a different time, when the Camaro was around 3300lbs and had a solid axle in the back. I'm stationed in Germany so I haven't seen too many new Camaro SS's yet and even fewer at the handful of tracks we have here.

I can't help but notice your 1.68 second 60" though. That tells me you are running a drag wheel maybe with skinnies on the front. That might be a bad time for you, but you are still hooking up pretty hard. Running 11s with a trap speed under 120 mph isn't easy for the average driver to pull off either, especially on a street tire. I guess what I'm saying is your driver mod is accounting for your results too.

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:00 AM   #104
wbt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock36 View Post
Cool, and I don't disagree with that. I guess I was thinking more about the LS1 Camaros that could pull 11s completely N/A. But that was a different time, when the Camaro was around 3300lbs and had a solid axle in the back. I'm stationed in Germany so I haven't seen too many new Camaro SS's yet and even fewer at the handful of tracks we have here.

I can't help but notice your 1.68 second 60" though. That tells me you are running a drag wheel maybe with skinnies on the front. That might be a bad time for you, but you are still hooking up pretty hard. Running 11s with a trap speed under 120 mph isn't easy for the average driver to pull off either, especially on a street tire. I guess what I'm saying is your driver mod is accounting for your results too.
Thanks.

Yes on the tires and wheels.

I am a bit disappointed with the 1.68 60' time. The car spun terribly out of the hole on that pass and every shift going down the track. I am aiming more for a mid 1.5 60'. I am battling a traction issue I need to fix and have plans to move to a 10" rim and wider tire in hopes of resolving. This should move my ET down another .2-.3 tenths.

Video of pass:

D/A was 2,500' above SL. It will be November before we see decent air again. :(
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:29 AM   #105
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
Holy Crap! I had to stop reading this post after page 3...soo many bench racers and opinion tossers out there - good Gawd!

To the OP. This is YOUR money and it is going to be YOUR car. Go drive them both, spend an hour with each, then buy the one that fits YOUR needs best. Both are great pony cars and I am sure both are great fun. Just let us all know what you decided.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:32 PM   #106
BlackJacket

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT Cyber Gray
To be honest, they both perform well. It really boils down to what you want more? I like the look (interior and exterior) of the Camaro. The mustang is nice, but too many people have them.

Whatever you decide, let us know. Unless its a Mustang, then you can go to hell. LOL j/k
Old 06-21-2011, 09:06 PM   #107
Icefsh

Drives: CGM 2LT/RS M6
Just went for a test drive in Premium 5.0 manual. I own a V6 and can only compare the Mustang to the Camaro V6 2LT. My 2LT with RS package was about $28,500 in 2009. This Mustang was around $34,500.

As Far as interior features go, I think they are about even. They offer the same options.The Camaro has a telescoping stering wheel on the base model. Not even an option on Mustang. The Mustang offers a navigation screen. Although you will pay for it as an extra. No nav screen offered on Camaro. But they do have the heads up display and Onstar. The dash boards almost look like the same material. The Mustang has some faux metal on the glove box and across the front of the dash. Stering wheels look very similar. Liked the Camaros seats better. They seem more comfortable. Maybe because I am used to them. Did not listen to the sound system. The visibility in the Mustang is better. It just seems like the doors are taller in the camaro and you sit lower in the car. After a week of driving my Camaro I really don't have a problem with visibility.

Handling between to two I really can't make a judgement. Because I was in the city and did not take the car on the twistys. In city driving, the ride quality of the Camaro was far superior. The Mustang was a very harsh and rough ride in comparison. The Mustang is lighter but I could not tell on my drive.

Engine performance has been discussed many times. Of course the 5.0 over my V6 all the time. Did not get the chance to open the 5.0 up. Nor should I have in city driving. Did nail it in second at about 30 MPH and could only tac it up to about 5500 RPMs. Not that impresive in that range. Probably just expecting more. Believe it or not my V6 almost feels as stong, in that range. I know that I was just hitting the power band when I had to let off so don't flame me please. Did drive an SS about a year ago and I think it had more low end torque. Liked that better and seemed like more fun. The thing that surprised me was how low it was geared. I swear my V6 is geared higher. It did not have the 3.73 gears either. No way to judge the brakes. They probably were not broke in yet anyway. Clutch seemed similar to my V6. The Mustang shifter had shorter throws and I liked the smaller shift knob. But I did notice that going into 2nd was a little rough. But the rest of the gears were great. Exactly like my V6. It also has trouble going into 2nd. But overall the Mustang did shift better.

Of course I would rather have the 5.0 Mustang over my V6. They had very few Mustangs on the lot. No V6's but they did have 2 Bosses. They were marked up $17,500 over invoice. Amazing. Got carried away and hope my post was not to long.

Last edited by Icefsh; 06-22-2011 at 06:41 AM.
Icefsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:28 PM   #108
One Mean Chevy
Future Vette Owner (201?)

Drives: A Mobile Road Block
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty4 View Post
Thinking about pulling the trigger. My problem is a friend owns a 2ss and says its kind of boring? I drove it not all that bad. Says the performance is just not there? If he had to do it again said he would go with a Mustang.
So my problem is a Camaro SS or a Mustang GT? Honest opinions please!

NOT trying to start WWIII. Just if given a choice would you purchase a Camaro agian?
Sounds like he needs to do a fuse pull. If the Dealer put Regular in his SS and He is using Premium Now. His Camaro still thinks it is running on Regular.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38964

GM, WILL SURVIVE AND WILL BE BETTER THAN EVER.

2011 Camaro SS (6-Speed) w/RS Package. Its Great to be back in Black and a Chevy Again.

----------------------------
One Mean Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:10 PM   #109
bill2129
Account Suspended

Drives: 2085 Trans AM COBRA
I think the new 5.0 is faster due to lighter weight ?
bill2129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:38 PM   #110
BATMANs

Drives: GTO & NSX
I think it has more top end power.
2005 GTO Maggie, Forged engine, CAI, Kooks LTH, Magnaflow, Billet Pro shifter, LS7 clutch, 245/275 18" on Petrol Octane, Addco Sways, Koni Yellows, King Springs, Whiteline bushings, EBC Red, X-drilled/slotted rotors, SS brake lines, 55w HID, PLX gauges

1993 NSX Kenne Bell 2.1, Laminova IC, sway bars, NSX-R chassis bars, and non-compliance toe links, Tien EDFC, STMPO exhaust & brake ducts, RM Racing headers, K&N/Cantrall intake, Enkei RP03 17"18", APR GTC-300
BATMANs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:52 PM   #111
Truck Norris
Thread Mover

Drives: a Monte Carlo
Yes it has more top end (rpm) power but I think the SS pulls on the 5.0 on the top end like 120mph+ stock vs stock.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:28 AM   #112
BATMANs

Drives: GTO & NSX
Does anyone have a side-by-side dynograph of the 2 engines?
2005 GTO Maggie, Forged engine, CAI, Kooks LTH, Magnaflow, Billet Pro shifter, LS7 clutch, 245/275 18" on Petrol Octane, Addco Sways, Koni Yellows, King Springs, Whiteline bushings, EBC Red, X-drilled/slotted rotors, SS brake lines, 55w HID, PLX gauges

1993 NSX Kenne Bell 2.1, Laminova IC, sway bars, NSX-R chassis bars, and non-compliance toe links, Tien EDFC, STMPO exhaust & brake ducts, RM Racing headers, K&N/Cantrall intake, Enkei RP03 17"18", APR GTC-300
BATMANs is offline   Reply With Quote