Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-10-2011, 10:25 AM   #1
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to WheelmanSS
Header/chassis brace vibration

Hey yo,

I just recently installed Kooks stepped long tube headers with high flow cats on my car. These are connecting to Magnaflow 16850 catback. I also have the Hotchkis max chassis brace.

When I first installed the Magnaflow, I had some vibration on the stock tunnel brace. When I installed the Hotchkis max chassis brace, I was happy to notice more clearance and not touching/vibration.

However, now that I installed the headers, I am hearing some vibration which seems to be in the same area. It only seems to occur under idle, and I dont think I hear the pipes hitting the brace when I drive over bumps. I haven't had the chance yet to get back under the car, but could the headers be causing the catback to hang lower and touch the chassis brace? Or could the vibration be something else? Again, it's only really noticeable at idle.

If anyone else has experience with this setup I would appreciate your insights.
- Kooks Stepped Headers, Magnaflow 16580
- Suspension by Pfadt, Hotchkis.

2007 Trailblazer SS- Sold
2001 Trans Am WS6 431 RWHP 408 RWTQ - Sold
1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
WheelmanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:19 AM   #2
Revolution
Owner of RRW

Drives: 12 ZL1 A6 white and 64 nova ss
Check your hanger clearance on the rest of the system in my experience with Kooks in other cars besides the c5's I have had some issues with them pushing the system down or side to side a bit depending on the particular car.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:16 AM   #3
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Long tube headers do hang a little lower than the stock exhaust, so yes, that could be why, if it is hitting on the brace, you'll have to check it out, to see if it is close enough.
You can wiggle the pipes (when they're cool ) right near the brace to see if they can hit.

If the pipes are hitting the brace, you can adjust them to clear the brace, you'll have to loosen all the clamps in the front half of the exhaust near the headers and cats (possibly the back as well), then push the exhaust up into place, hold it there, then tighten them all again.

Magnaflow 16850 is for a Dodge Ram (could be your problem ), I assume you mean the 2.5" Comp Series catback 16580? We've installed a couple of those with the stock brace with no problems, so yours probably just needs to be adjusted a bit.

There could be several other problems causing the noise, slightly loose O2 sensors, hangers, heat shields, etc.

- Jeremy
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:41 AM   #4
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Thanks a lot Frank and Jeremey, I appreciate the responses from two quality vendors like yourselves.

And yes, pardon my temporary bout of Dyslexia lol, I did mean the 16580.

I'll give it a once-over and see. The noise does sound familiar to the vibration to the cat-back/stock tunnel brace situation I had originally, yet it only does it at idle. And I don't hear any issues over bumps like I did before.

Thanks again!

1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
Old 08-12-2011, 04:34 PM   #5
Hotchkis

Drives: 1st through 5th gen Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Hey yo,

I just recently installed Kooks stepped long tube headers with high flow cats on my car. These are connecting to Magnaflow 16850 catback. I also have the Hotchkis max chassis brace.

When I first installed the Magnaflow, I had some vibration on the stock tunnel brace. When I installed the Hotchkis max chassis brace, I was happy to notice more clearance and not touching/vibration.

However, now that I installed the headers, I am hearing some vibration which seems to be in the same area. It only seems to occur under idle, and I dont think I hear the pipes hitting the brace when I drive over bumps. I haven't had the chance yet to get back under the car, but could the headers be causing the catback to hang lower and touch the chassis brace? Or could the vibration be something else? Again, it's only really noticeable at idle.

If anyone else has experience with this setup I would appreciate your insights.

WheelmanSS - Make sure the exhaust isn't hitting something else under the car. If does end up being the exhaust hitting the Hotchkis Chassis Max Brace, we do sell a Spacer Kit (PN:38104) to lower the brace 3/8" with aluminum spacers.

Hotchkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 01:47 PM   #6
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
Install the Hotchkiss spacer kit...problem solved.

Done a few of them already and it def helps and in most cases, eliminated the issue completely.

Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:38 PM   #7
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotchkis View Post
WheelmanSS - Make sure the exhaust isn't hitting something else under the car. If does end up being the exhaust hitting the Hotchkis Chassis Max Brace, we do sell a Spacer Kit (PN:38104) to lower the brace 3/8" with aluminum spacers.

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

I'm surprised I would need it for the 2.5 in magnaflow. Isn't this usually needed for 3 in systems?

I'm hoping its just an adjustment issues.

Either way, thanks again guys for the info.

1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
Old 08-16-2011, 11:57 AM   #8
Hotchkis

Drives: 1st through 5th gen Camaros
WheelmanSS – As Ivan pointed out, our shim kit might be a good idea if you can’t get the exhaust pipes adjusted for more clearance.

Do you have any pictures to show the interference?
Hotchkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:56 PM   #9
Parapdrapa

Drives: 2010 Camaro
How's the drone with ur exhaust? I love the sound of my 16580 but the drone with headers makes my kid cry... Lol, literally
Parapdrapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:50 AM   #10
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotchkis View Post
WheelmanSS – As Ivan pointed out, our shim kit might be a good idea if you can’t get the exhaust pipes adjusted for more clearance.

Do you have any pictures to show the interference?
I don't yet actually. I will try and get under the car later this week. Its so hot here, and I drive the car so much its hard to give it a rest long enough for the pipes to cool down.

Quote:
How's the drone with ur exhaust? I love the sound of my 16580 but the drone with headers makes my kid cry... Lol, literally

I actually noticed a slight decrease in "drone" adding the headers. I never thought it was that bad to begin with, however the exhaust tone is more consistent.

The exhaust is considerably louder overall, however. Might freak the kid out a bit if you get on it lol.

1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
Old 08-17-2011, 03:13 PM   #11
BLACK10

Drives: 2010 CAMARO. 10.04@133mph, 1.4 60'
You might also be down on power with the exuast hitting. It could be affecting the knock sensor
BLACK10 is offline   Reply With Quote